Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret?

Red.Blue

First Name
Mountain Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Over 600 posts in this thread, and there seems to be little or no regrets. HERE’S SOME REGRETS.

Got my 2021 2.0T JLUR one month ago. LOVED it for the first few weeks, then started hearing an engine clicking sound. Dealer says ENTIRE ENGINE needs to be replaced. Apparently there is some kind of known quality issue in the current market of shortages and supply chain disruptions. I am customer #5 that this dealer has seen with this issue this year. They estimate 2-3 weeks, maybe longer, to get the replacement engine (again due to inventory shortages).

I’ve started the lemon/buyback process with FCA due to concerns with unknown timing to repair (maybe months, plus concerns with any potential value loss??)

Meanwhile, I’m still debating if I want it back (if they can finish repairs in a reasonable timeframe) or if I want to push hard on the buyback and then start over. Downside is that inventory is really tight right now and I might have to make some sacrifices on desired colors and options.

Please comment away with your advice.

Meanwhile… the Rubicon 392… Can’t stop thinking about it. Love, love… :jk:
Sponsored

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Over 600 posts in this thread, and there seems to be little or no regrets. HERE’S SOME REGRETS.

Got my 2021 2.0T JLUR one month ago. LOVED it for the first few weeks, then started hearing an engine clicking sound. Dealer says ENTIRE ENGINE needs to be replaced. Apparently there is some kind of known quality issue in the current market of shortages and supply chain disruptions. I am customer #5 that this dealer has seen with this issue this year. They estimate 2-3 weeks, maybe longer, to get the replacement engine (again due to inventory shortages).

I’ve started the lemon/buyback process with FCA due to concerns with unknown timing to repair (maybe months, plus concerns with any potential value loss??)

Meanwhile, I’m still debating if I want it back (if they can finish repairs in a reasonable timeframe) or if I want to push hard on the buyback and then start over. Downside is that inventory is really tight right now and I might have to make some sacrifices on desired colors and options.

What exactly did the dealer say was wrong with the motor?

Red.Blue

First Name
Mountain Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
What exactly did the dealer say was wrong with the motor?
Dealer said the known issue is a “cylinder washout” that supposedly can’t be fixed without replacement. This also causes other failures with lifters, etc. (i’m not a mechanic so I can’t explain all the technical details).

I wish I had taken a video of the crazy sound that it was making at idle and with rpm increase. My wife nicknamed the Jeep “Clickey”. Sounded like a sewing machine. Loud!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

There will be diminished value. Take advantage of the supply shortage of engines. I would pursue lemon law for a refund or replacement vehicle. I think you will probably be successful because it will probably take longer than the number of days out of service required for lemon law. They usually do msrp to msrp if you choose another vehicle. Sounds like you want the Hemi. Pay the difference and order the Hemi. Look at the Hemi as something that was meant to be.

Last edited:

Rc162

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
So far no regrets. As others have posted, it is a noisy engine, especially at cold start up. Starting using 91 octane at about 3k miles. 5500 miles now and engine seems to be much quieter and smoother. Stronger as well.

Sponsored

rockclimber

First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Purchasing Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
Got a 2020 Jeep Wrangle Unlimited Sport with the 2.0 turbo engine and didn’t have much regret until about a month ago since I’ve started really noticing the turbo lag especially in muddy/rocky hill climb situations where it doesn’t help at all. I’m thinking of test driving a 3.6 just to feel the difference and see if I’m missing out on anything.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret? 029EE9E1-D766-48DF-BFEA-2F0A8FCC2E77
If I do like the 3.6 engine better but I’d feel too bad about trading my current Jeep which I’ve done so much to and with. I think my best option would be an engine swap or some sort of upgrade to hopefully lessen the turbo lag and improve the power. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.

JLKSA

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Unlimited 2.0
It’s interesting to note that so far the two negative reviews appear to be from folks who don’t own Turbos, and the five positive ones appear to be from folks who do.

I don’t think we can read much into that (the nay-sayers will say owners are rationalizing their decisions; the yay-sayers will say that thousands of miles of actual driving are worth more than second-hand observations). Nonetheless one should find comfort in the knowledge that owners are clearly happy.

No vehicle is perfect or risk-free (the 3.6 threads themselves are far from trouble-free), but I love the responsiveness and sporty feel of my Turbo. So far I’ve enjoyed it for 8 weeks and 2600 miles. I’ve driven on highways and mountain roads, off-roading (mud, rocks, 25+ degree slopes, etc) and fighting city traffic. Happy to report that it’s been a lot of fun in these various conditions. It feels powerful, the accelerations put a smile on my face, it’s quiet. It just feels like a modern, good quality engine. Of course the real test will be 30,000 or 50,000 miles - but so far, so good. :like:
Just purchased a JLU Sport 2.0. It doesn't have a tow package and i've searched for it's tow rating if I were to add a tow package to it but haven't had any luck. Does your 2.0 have the tow package and have you towed anything? I'm interested in a lightweight camper. I'm really new to Jeeps and towing campers and so I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can. Most of the threads I come across talking about towing is with the 3.6.

PocketsEmptied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 JKUR, '21 JLUR
Got a 2020 Jeep Wrangle Unlimited Sport with the 2.0 turbo engine and didn’t have much regret until about a month ago since I’ve started really noticing the turbo lag especially in muddy/rocky hill climb situations where it doesn’t help at all. I’m thinking of test driving a 3.6 just to feel the difference and see if I’m missing out on anything.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret? 029EE9E1-D766-48DF-BFEA-2F0A8FCC2E77
If I do like the 3.6 engine better but I’d feel too bad about trading my current Jeep which I’ve done so much to and with. I think my best option would be an engine swap or some sort of upgrade to hopefully lessen the turbo lag and improve the power. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.
Check out a Pedal Commander or iDrive.

FirstF80InSpace

First Name
F80
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 C4S / 2021 JLUR 4xe
I went from a 2019 JLU 3.6 to a 2021 4xe Rubi. I do notice that the 2.0 engine is much louder than the 3.6.

Roostre

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2-dr, 1949 Willy’s, 1994 F-350
Vehicle Showcase
029EE9E1-D766-48DF-BFEA-2F0A8FCC2E77.jpeg
I went looking for towing capacities- according to multiple Jeep dealers the 2-dr is rated at 2,000lbs max. The 4-dr is rated for 3,500lbs max with either motor.
Makes sense as the weight, wheelbase, and braking capabilities are probably a larger consideration than how much power you need.
Our 2.0L has almost zero turbo lag. Maybe you have a boost leak or something else going on?

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
029EE9E1-D766-48DF-BFEA-2F0A8FCC2E77.jpeg

...hopefully lessen the turbo lag and improve the power.
If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.
A throttle module (e.g., Pedal Commander), as mentioned.

Can I inquire as to your tire size and brand? Any rubbing? TIA.

Just purchased a JLU Sport 2.0. It doesn't have a tow package and i've searched for it's tow rating if I were to add a tow package to it but haven't had any luck. Does your 2.0 have the tow package and have you towed anything?

I'm interested in a lightweight camper.
The Unlimited can tow 3,500 lbs., as Corey mentions. Pulling 3K or above will require the 7 pin harness to accommodate the trailer brake function.

I've towed 1,400 lbs. with my JLU 2.0T. A recent camp-and-ride weekend revealed a 4 mpg penalty (reasonable, IMO) when driving in mixed city & highway conditions.

Wanting to save some money, and since I'm fussy about workmanship, I installed the Curt receiver hitch and the Quadratec 4-flat tow harness myself. Done and done.

Consider the use of an adjustable ball mount. Level towing and proper tongue weights are critical for safety. Just this morning, I saw an SUV towing an open bed trailer with such a tilt that I might have refused to drive behind it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret? Camp check in

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I think my best option would be an engine swap or some sort of upgrade to hopefully lessen the turbo lag and improve the power. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.
Hemi swaps seem to be the preferred option for lots of current JL 3.6L and old JK 3.8L v6 owners. I don't see why it wouldn't be a good option for the new i4. My experience with the n/a 3.6L v6 is it has LOTS of lag especially at high elevations. Glad Jeep is finally giving us more engine options that perform better especially for those of us that live and play in the mountains :)

rockclimber

First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Purchasing Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
A throttle module (e.g., Pedal Commander), as mentioned.

Can I inquire as to your tire size and brand? Any rubbing? TIA.
I got 285/70/17 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZP3’s and have loved them since! I Don’t notice much noise on the highway and they don’t lessen your control while steering at high speeds. Highest I’ve gone in them is 95mph but could’ve gone higher. I had no issues with rubbing even while off-roading and going over speed bumps at 30mph to test it. Was getting between 19 and 28mpg and now I get 16-18mpg but I expected it.

I recently got 2 inch wheel spacers and immediately noticed they rub the air dams while turning all the way left. Took those out and now I have no issues whatsoever.
Before spacers:
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret? 82FB7B68-ECF8-4946-8770-F68F328D76F4
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret? 2497D5CD-FBE6-42E4-BF7A-319708333708

After spacers:
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret? 87673D23-3283-49C3-8A8B-D4767411E1D3
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret? 91D800E8-B796-4A5B-A3FE-D15021BDDAFE

I haven’t used these tires in muddy/rocky steep terrain. I live in Oregon so that’s pretty much all off-roading is here except in the high desert where I first really used these tires! Went through deep sand and traveled between 25-40mph in the deserts and never a hint of getting stuck and the ride was great.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret? 156AE0C7-6EF8-42AD-8267-C073E9FDDF89
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret? 6634AF19-A61A-4EA4-BD0A-BA91C1D30ECE
Best tires I have ever had! I keep them at about 37psi (when Discount Tire finished it was at 47psi..) it was $264 per tire and I got the $37 insurance on each and they only had me pay the insurance price for 4/5 so it was about $1500.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I got 285/70/17 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZP3’s and have loved them since! I Don’t notice much noise on the highway and they don’t lessen your control while steering at high speeds. Highest I’ve gone in them is 95mph but could’ve gone higher. I had no issues with rubbing even while off-roading and going over speed bumps at 30mph to test it.

Was getting between 19 and 28mpg and now I get 16-18mpg but I expected it.
Thanks for the pics!

Your fuel mileage really went down ~10 mpg?

rockclimber

First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Purchasing Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the pics!

Your fuel mileage really went down ~10 mpg?
You’re welcome! In the city is was around 20 and on the highway the best I ever got was 28 and most of my driving is in the city so it went does about 3 or 4 mpg. The best it gets now is 23 or so. I think I’m going to off-road tomorrow at Jordan Creek (finally have a weekend day off!) so I’ll let you know how they do in muddy/rocky steep terrain.
Before tires lights and all my other upgrades!
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret? 1D0EA1C0-CC63-40AD-8F82-341B8E100EC0

it’s come a long way! While under it last weekend ripping out the air dam I noticed the front differential has been scraped more than a few times (before tires) but not too badly.
Sponsored