Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret?

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I’ve got a new ‘20 JL with the 2.0. Still under 300 miles but mileage thus far is 26.9. It’s a stock Sport S, so no large tires, etc., but I am impressed with the combination of power and mpg. Drove otherwise identical JL’s, one 2.0 and one 3.6. Both drove very well, but I really liked the feel of the 2,0. Mine will be a run around vehicle. I don’t do anything “extreme” but I do love to run backroads and 2 tracks to see where they go. With a Jeep I know I don’t have to worry too much about bottoming out or getting stuck. My previous TJ with the 4.0 was a great ride, but the JL beats it hands down by every meaningful (for me) criteria, it’s better on the highway, quicker and gets a bunch better mileage. I’m loving my 2.0!
Sponsored

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Posted earlier - chiming again RE: mileage. Bone stock JLUR, 2.0T/8spd auto. I've had lots of Jeeps and this is by far my favorite engine/trans pairing. On the highway I've seen 26 on trips with lots of flat, average is about 24.

It may be that I am just in love because I spent so many years in the dreaded 4.0/42RLE combo but I feel this Jeep has power for days, double the mileage of my LJ Rubi that only had a set of 32" BFGs. The fact the new Rubicon runs 33s of my tire of choice (unashamed BFG fan for many rigs) with zero mods is icing on the cake.

No plans to put any bigger tires on this rig - just drive it like I stole it and camp all over the damn place until the JM's come out in 2027.

Firecracker52

First Name
Jeanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
So I know it’s a dumb question, I have a JL turbo 2.0 and we fuel it with 93 octane.... should I be using better? Now I’m worried I messed it up, bought it used and they said just regular gas at the dealer :(:mad:

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
So I know it’s a dumb question, I have a JL turbo 2.0 and we fuel it with 93 octane.... should I be using better? Now I’m worried I messed it up, bought it used and they said just regular gas at the dealer :(:mad:
I believe our engines call for Premium, being 91 or 93 octane. Near me, we only have 87/89/93. Anything higher is considered race fuel around here and can only be found near the couple of dirt racetracks we have. FWIW, there are plenty of success stories on here of these engines being run on 87 without issue.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Been discussed many times already. Your owners manual says 87 is OK to use. For optimum performance it says to use 91.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The computer adjusts for lower octane fuel, the owners manual states 87 octane is fine, but recommends 93 for peak performance. FWIW my sons mazda 6 with a turbo actually has 2 different horsepower ratings for 87 and 93 octane 227hp vs 250hp. Is the difference a full 10% more horsepower in our jeeps, who knows? We have always run 91 octane (no 93 available out west) just to be safe.

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Been discussed many times already. Your owners manual says 87 is OK to use. For optimum performance it says to use 91.
Agree. In AZ, I usually run mid-grade (89) unless I'm towing our ATV/trailer, then I run our premium (91). It runs great, no problems/issues and mileage is good.

I would quit worrying and go enjoy your Jeep! You're doing OK.

Firecracker52

First Name
Jeanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Thanks guys! Appreciate the feedback! Everyone on here is always so nice so thank you all! You guys are rockstars!!

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Remember though that the engine is designed. To run and. Function just. Fine on87 octane fuel. Mine does, and there is no way I’ll spend as extra 40-50 cents a gallon when it is NOT needed. Maybe in VERY hot conditions or when towing, but for normal use, no way. Oil companies make enough profits without donating another 6 or 7 bucks per fill up.

Sponsored

waif69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU and 1987 Wrangler
We bought a late 2018 JLU 2.0T and should have lemon lawed it. Instead we made the mistake of letting the FCA try and try again after we hit the numbers for lemon law. Six painful months for FCA to repurchase is and we eventually we took possession of a 2019 JLU 2.0T. (They didn't even offer a 6cyl in automatic) So far so good, it has ~6k on and it is running fine. We will be putting ~4k on in this month and hope that all continues to go well. I doubt the dealership will ever want to see us again.

tkoob

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
WELL,
I agree with everyone, I have a 2021 JL 2D 4T, love it. love it. My first jeep.
reliability? not sure, I have not had it long enough to know! I can tell you with a high level of confidence that my V8 2002 Tundra is very reliable with 210K miles and 18 years of good maintenance.
4T remains to be seen!

I like the power/torque of the 4T (this is my second vehicle with 4T , I have an Acura RDX with similar specs also) and let's face it as someone on this thread said it's going to be the new norm, we might accept it.

As far as complexity, I don't like emotor attached and I am glad at least mine does not have the electric assist motor but again it's the new norm. My mechanic told me not to expect the same reliability and inexpensive operating cost from the jeep but he also tells me with good maintenance any car will last a long time.

Gas mileage? I am very happy with my 19MPG on the JL4T, my other car is a V8 Tundra you see! (11 MPG) LOL

Memcdowe

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0
I’m really enjoying mine. Hope they prove reliable long term! Second favorite Jeep engine since the 4.0.

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
27K now and NO issues, very glad to have the cold weather package! This Jeep loves weather, even the sub zero kind. My opinion may change when we transfer to hail season but no regrets. My 4th Jeep and the best one yet! The limited slip works really well in the snow - haven’t needed 4H so far.

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
I believe our engines call for Premium, being 91 or 93 octane. Near me, we only have 87/89/93. Anything higher is considered race fuel around here and can only be found near the couple of dirt racetracks we have. FWIW, there are plenty of success stories on here of these engines being run on 87 without issue.
I see a difference (slight) in using 91 non-ethanol premium but honestly, it runs well on 87, too. It’s tough to find anything higher than 91 but you don’t need it. My dirt bikes, that’s another story!
Sponsored