Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
For many of you, from a country where the saying "there is no substitute for cubic inches" comes from, a "little" four-cylinder, even worse with a turbo, might look as a vulnerable thing, we in the EU are used to those for many decades though, is the least we can worry about ;) That said, this engine still has to prove its reliability, but so far, so good.

Note that Italy, home of the FIAT group, used to have a tax regime which doubled taxes on > 2.0 engines, and cars with bigger > 2.0 engines were only for the filthy rich, hence engine designers came up with many high performant little engines since then, even up to a 2.0 V12.
Well said, don't fear the 4 cylinder Turbo!

-Steven
Sponsored

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
This (decent gas mileage) is a huge step forward for a Wrangler. I think it's a 'have your cake and eat it too' situation, good efficiency, excellent power and the ability to tune it further for even more performance will be a huge bonus for me.

-Steven
It is. My dad's 2 door JK gets at most maybe 18 on a good day....down hill.

ripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I have a JTR and we bought my wife a JLU for her 50th birthday, they had 2 on the lot that were optioned almost identically, one had the V6 and Alpine and the other had the 2.0T and LED lighting. I have the LED lighting on my JT and like them a lot but I was hesitant buying the 2.0T, we did end up with the 2.0T and I like it a lot. We only have 1200 miles on it, but so far we've been happy.

Punkn18

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018.5 JL
We purchased our 2018 Jeep JL 2.0t in December of 18. We searched high and low for the correct combo (color,engine,seats,stereo,etc).
We live in SW MO and Don Vance in Marshfield found what we were looking for out in Kansas. Once we did our own searching we found the same Jeep and we called the dealership out in Kansas and they would only come down $500 for a military discount. Don Vance could go out there and get it for us for 2500 less than that dealership would come down for us. Weird. So we went ahead and bought it from don Vance. $2500 cheaper And free delivery.
ANYWAY...
Pros:
Highway MPG roughly 22.0 on paper.
Excellent acceleration on highway.
Plenty of torque/power in 4wd low
Good quality interior with heated seats (that was a must for me)
Exactly 5 quarts for oil (only have to buy one jug and not the extra quarts)
So far 27xxx miles and have never had any issues besides a recall that the dealership fixed immediately (something to do with steering)
CONS:
Rocks get stuck between fender flares and body.
Premium 91 octane only recommended
Towing MPG 12-13 on dash (havenā€™t calculated on paper).
Paint chips on door hinges from rocks the tires throw up.
it gets stuck in 4wdlow when you engage the lockers and D/C the sway bar, you have to drive over 25 for it to go back to sway bar connect and disengage axles (not sure if itā€™s only mine or a factory thing).
Turbo lag until about 2500-2700 rpm in 2wd...I donā€™t remember the exact rpm as I donā€™t get on it much. But itā€™ll smoke both the tires off.... doesnā€™t lack once the turbo kicks in

Overall I am very satisfied with the new Jeep JL 2.0t
The wife and I have tossed the idea of trading it in on a new suburban or Yukon but then soon realize not everyone will have an orange first model JL rubicon.
She wants to upgrade it to no ends but I want to keep it 100% stock. Time will tell what we end up doing but for now itā€™s still under factory warranty for another 12mo/9000 miles

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
We purchased our 2018 Jeep JL 2.0t in December of 18. We searched high and low for the correct combo (color,engine,seats,stereo,etc).
We live in SW MO and Don Vance in Marshfield found what we were looking for out in Kansas. Once we did our own searching we found the same Jeep and we called the dealership out in Kansas and they would only come down $500 for a military discount. Don Vance could go out there and get it for us for 2500 less than that dealership would come down for us. Weird. So we went ahead and bought it from don Vance. $2500 cheaper And free delivery.
ANYWAY...
Pros:
Highway MPG roughly 22.0 on paper.
Excellent acceleration on highway.
Plenty of torque/power in 4wd low
Good quality interior with heated seats (that was a must for me)
Exactly 5 quarts for oil (only have to buy one jug and not the extra quarts)
So far 27xxx miles and have never had any issues besides a recall that the dealership fixed immediately (something to do with steering)
CONS:
Rocks get stuck between fender flares and body.
Premium 91 octane only recommended
Towing MPG 12-13 on dash (havenā€™t calculated on paper).
Paint chips on door hinges from rocks the tires throw up.
it gets stuck in 4wdlow when you engage the lockers and D/C the sway bar, you have to drive over 25 for it to go back to sway bar connect and disengage axles (not sure if itā€™s only mine or a factory thing).
Turbo lag until about 2500-2700 rpm in 2wd...I donā€™t remember the exact rpm as I donā€™t get on it much. But itā€™ll smoke both the tires off.... doesnā€™t lack once the turbo kicks in

Overall I am very satisfied with the new Jeep JL 2.0t
The wife and I have tossed the idea of trading it in on a new suburban or Yukon but then soon realize not everyone will have an orange first model JL rubicon.
She wants to upgrade it to no ends but I want to keep it 100% stock. Time will tell what we end up doing but for now itā€™s still under factory warranty for another 12mo/9000 miles
Thanks for the thorough report Ryan! Appreciate it.

-Steven

Sponsored

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
18k mile 19 JLUS, 2.0 with eTorque purchased in Oct 2019.

No issues.

Just 2 oil changes and fuel. Regularly average over 26 mpg Hwy. City average varies but low 20ā€™s is normal. This is after a Rubicon takeoff suspension but still stock AT 255/70/18 32ā€ tires.

The Power and economy is impressive.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
18k mile 19 JLUS, 2.0 with eTorque purchased in Oct 2019.

No issues.

Just 2 oil changes and fuel. Regularly average over 26 mpg Hwy. City average varies but low 20ā€™s is normal. This is after a Rubicon takeoff suspension but still stock AT 255/70/18 32ā€ tires.

The Power and economy is impressive.
Nice! Power and economy.

What grade fuel have you been using?

-Steven

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
12K miles on my 18 JLUR with the 2.0 and I couldn't be happier or more impressed. Zero problems with it. I came out of a 17 JKUS (V6, 3.73's, auto) and the 2.0 just spanks the 3.6 in every way. I tow a teardrop trailer (1680 lbs wet) and the 2.0 treats the trailer like it was her bitch. (Okay...it kind of IS!)
Cudos to Jeep for the 2.0. Great engine/trans combo....

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
12K miles on my 18 JLUR with the 2.0 and I couldn't be happier or more impressed. Zero problems with it. I came out of a 17 JKUS (V6, 3.73's, auto) and the 2.0 just spanks the 3.6 in every way. I tow a teardrop trailer (1680 lbs wet) and the 2.0 treats the trailer like it was her bitch. (Okay...it kind of IS!)
Cudos to Jeep for the 2.0. Great engine/trans combo....
Thanks William! It seems anyone with direct experience with this drivetrain loves it.

What grade fuel to you typically feed the beast?

-Steven

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I run about 50/50 with either 87 or 91 octane. If I am using the trailer, then 91 for sure. A little bit less mileage with 87 but no noticeable difference in performance. I run a lot of logging roads, dirt tracks and river roads with Jeep and trailer. I also don't beat on it....

Sponsored

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Nice! Power and economy.

What grade fuel have you been using?

-Steven
Premium. Being a past car guy, I like to get the most from any engine and adding premium is an easy way to get the most power with a turbo engine.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Thanks William! It seems anyone with direct experience with this drivetrain loves it.

What grade fuel to you typically feed the beast?

-Steven
Agreed, that does seem to be the case. Other than the hand full of problems early on with the starter/generator, there doesn't seem to be many issues yet. That could change, but it is off to a great start. But people seem to love their 2.0 turbo.

The comments against it seem to be the people who don't have it. It is somewhat like the Sky One Touch poll asking the people who owned it if they would buy it again, and it was found that the five people who said they wouldn't buy it again actually didn't even own one.

Last edited:

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Take it from someone who's owned the 3.6L in two Grand Cherokees and one Wrangler JK. It's a decent engine that gave me no issues except for it's crappy fuel mileage in the JK and somewhat sluggish response. The 2.0L Turbo in my current Wrangler JL has been flawless so far. If you can tolerate its sewing machine idle sound, you'll be happy with its much improved fuel efficiency and responsiveness. And for those who keep bringing up the under body plumbing being detrimental off road, I've had zero issues so far. I'm not a hard core boulder crawler, but how many Wrangler owners actually are?

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Take it from someone who's owned the 3.6L in two Grand Cherokees and one Wrangler JK. It's a decent engine that gave me no issues except for it's crappy fuel mileage in the JK and somewhat sluggish response. The 2.0L Turbo in my current Wrangler JL has been flawless so far. If you can tolerate its sewing machine idle sound, you'll be happy with its much improved fuel efficiency and responsiveness. And for those who keep bringing up the under body plumbing being detrimental off road, I've had zero issues so far. I'm not a hard core boulder crawler, but how many Wrangler owners actually are?
And there are some who are hard core crawlers running the 2.0.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I think it would be pretty hard (but not impossible) to damage a eTorque line that are mounted to the inner side of the frame rail. On the 2-door the eTorque coolant lines are pretty short also. I'm more worried about the:
  • front differential drain plug
  • rear differential peeling back the cover
  • wide open exposed transmission & oil pans
  • flimsy crossmember in the center of the vehicle
  • other potential issues with eTorque not charging at low speeds
Sponsored