Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

My current setup is 35 on 3.45 stock gears. I am on a 2.5 lift. I am thinking of going to 4.56.
I bet you can find a really good deal from a Rubicon take off who's going to 4.88.
Sponsored

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Just completed 2 round trips to Brownsville Texas from Flagstaff Arizona in my 2door JLR 2L turbo with e-torque... very impressed!!!

That's approx. 2,500 miles per round trip (over 5,000 miles total with all the side visits to McAllen, Austin & San Antonio... šŸ¤ 

Only issue I encountered was the mpgs... I'm running 2.5lift on 37s and normally get 18 to 20 mpgs average in Arizona BUT as soon as I deep into the heart of Texas, my mpgs dropped to 16 to 18 average. Not sure if this is because of the type truck stop gas I was getting or the lower elevation or jiat windy sections along I-10 šŸ¤”
But each time back as soon as I got into NM my mpgs went back to normal.

I really need the turbo in the mountains where I live but the power was solid throughout the trip all the way to South Padre Island. It was so cool to drive on the beach at Boca Chica... such a cool experience šŸ˜Ž

The Jeep & engine
did great on both back to back round trips except for the dip in mpgs.

Here's some pic from Boca Chica Beach ā›± and SPACE X where my son started working šŸ’Ŗ BIG MOVE TO TEXAS šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡²

20221212_121932.jpg
20221212_121938.jpg
20221212_104611.jpg
20221212_104914.jpg
20221212_104557.jpg

20221212_205948.jpg
Iā€™m willing to bet itā€™s almost entirely the wind. Iā€™ve done a couple cross country trips and as soon as Iā€™m back over the border into Texas, my mileage drops significantly. No issues anywhere else Iā€™ve been! Itā€™s comical, really.

CreepyCrepe

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge Green JLUWS, 20 Honda Pilot Elite
Clubs

Iā€™m willing to bet itā€™s almost entirely the wind. Iā€™ve done a couple cross country trips and as soon as Iā€™m back over the border into Texas, my mileage drops significantly. No issues anywhere else Iā€™ve been! Itā€™s comical, really.
Everything's bigger in Texas, including your fuel consumption.

Sponsored

Sting

First Name
Arron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR - Sting Grey
TLDR; No Regrets. IMO the 2.0T (non e-torque) is the engine to have. Over all other JL engine options.

I have a 2021 Rubicon JLU w/28,000 miles. I've driven it on multiple long distance road trips, and I off-road the heck out of it on a regular basis. I've taken it to multiple off-road parks, and local woods alike. It has plenty of acceleration off the line, and it pulls away from most other vehicles at a stoplight (trucks, passenger cars, etc. - not higher end sports cars.). Turbo lag (as others have mentioned as an issue) is almost non existent, and I've owned multiple turbo/boosted vehicles to compare it to. Additionally, I've not experience any lunging or jumping when the boost builds as others have stated. However I almost always wheel in 4Lo and I've never been in deep sand. The 2.0T is the engine I would choose if I were to buy another Wrangler today.

My thought processes on choosing the 2.0T over all other engines:
  • The 2.0T is the lightest engine option.
    • Weight is not your friend when wheeling tough rocky trails.
  • Single pipe exhaust system that is tucked out of the way of the front drive shaft.
    • The 3.6L is known to have drive shaft clearance issues with the exhaust when flexed out with a 2.5in+ lift.
  • The 2.0T makes more power down lower in the RPM range than the 3.6L v6.
  • The 2.0T is the more common engine.
    • Great if I should ever need to source junk yard parts or even an entire engine years down the road.
  • Turbo engines work better at higher elevations Vs. natural aspiration engines. (ie. Up in the Colorado mountains.)
    • Naturally aspirated (non boosted) engines rely on atmospheric pressure to intake air. The higher the elevation the less atmospheric pressure there is. Therefore less air pressure equals less power at higher elevation.

Reasons I did not choose the 3.6L:
  • The 3.6L is not as peppy as the 2.0T on the road
  • The 3.6L is known to have drive shaft clearance issues with the exhaust when flexed out with a 2.5in+ lift.
  • Naturally aspirated engines loose performance at higher altitudes.
    • IF you plan to boost (turbo/supercharge) the 3.6L, just don't. Buy the one designed to handle boost from the factory.

Reasons I did not choose the diesel engines:
  • HEAVY! - by far the heaviest option (not including those heavy batteries in the EVs/hybrids)
  • Diesel freezes/gels in winter.
    • I don't want to have to plug my vehicle into an electrical outlet everywhere I go in winter.
  • The diesel model has a bunch of crap sticking out of the rear, where the muffler would be on a gas model.
    • It just looks weird. Like a filled saggy diaper. I don't like it.
    • Also, it has the potential to hang you up on rocks more due to less ground clearance than the gas models.
  • DEF (diesel exhaust fluid).

Reasons I did not buy a 392 (even though it sounds amazing):
  • Weight - Its heavy.
  • Too powerful
    • Yes too much power can be a bad thing. More power more chances of breaking stuff.
  • Its ALL WHEEL DRIVE all the time
    • Yes, I know you can get a programmer. However my argument is it wasn't designed for 100% power to go to the rear and I like having a warranty.
  • I bought a Jeep to enjoy nature, not scare it away with a roaring v8.
    • I would have kept my C7 Z06 if all I cared about was how the engine sounds and how fast it goes.

Reasons I did not get a EV/Hybrid:
  • HEAVY! - Those batteries add a ton of weight!
    • Not something I want to bounce off rocks with.
  • Expensive to replace - Have you ever priced a replacement battery for an EV or hybrid!? You can (usually) buy multiple new gas engines straight from the dealer for the cost of a single battery that will need replaced on average every 8-12 years.

Last edited:

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
TLDR; No Regrets. IMO the 2.0T (non e-torque) is the engine to have. Over all other JL engine options.

I have a 2021 Rubicon JLU w/28,000 miles. I've driven it on multiple long distance road trips, and I off-road the heck out of it on a regular basis. I've taken it to multiple off-road parks, and local woods alike. It has plenty of acceleration off the line, and it pulls away from most other vehicles at a stoplight (trucks, passenger cars, etc. - not higher end sports cars.). Turbo lag (as others have mentioned as an issue) is almost non existent, and I've owned multiple turbo/boosted vehicles to compare it to. Additionally, I've not experience any lunging or jumping when the boost builds as others have stated. However I almost always wheel in 4Lo and I've never been in deep sand. The 2.0T is the engine I would choose if I were to buy another Wrangler today.

• Single pipe exhaust system that is tucked out of the way of the front drive shaft.
    • Great if I should ever need to source junk yard parts or even an entire engine years down the road.
  • Turbo engines work better at higher elevations. (ie. Up in the Colorado mountains.)
    • Naturally aspirated (non boosted) engines rely on atmospheric pressure to intake air. The higher the elevation the less atmospheric pressure there is. Therefore less air pressure equals less power at higher elevation.

• IF you plan to boost (turbo/supercharge) the 3.6L, just don't. Buy the one designed to handle boost from the factory.

• HEAVY! - by far the heaviest option (not including those heavy batteries in the EVs/hybrids)
    • I don't want to have to plug my vehicle into an electrical outlet everywhere I go in winter.
  • The diesel model has a bunch of crap sticking out of the rear, where the muffler would be on a gas model.
  • DEF Fluid (diesel exhaust fluid).

• Weight - Its heavy.
  • Too powerful
    • Yes too much power can be a bad thing. More power more chances of breaking stuff.
    • Yes, I know you can get a programmer. However my argument is it wasn't designed for 100% power to go to the rear and I like having a warranty.
    • I would have kept my C7 Z06 if all I cared about was how the engine sounds.

• Expensive to replace - Have you ever priced a replacement battery for an EV or hybrid!? You can (usually) buy multiple new gas engines straight from the dealer for the cost of a single battery that will need replaced on average every 8-12 years.
As someone who owns a 2.0L two door and a 4xe, I agree with almost everything you've said. I've never raced them but I think the 2.0L would be pretty close to the 4xe just due to the massive weight difference. The 4xe does launch like a bat out of hell though.

I test drove a 3.6 before ordering a 2.0 and yeah, the V6 really needs to get spun up before it starts to pull. The 2.0 has a ton of low-rev grunt which is a little surprising. Overall, its a great little engine. Weighs nothing, had great power output, and has proven to be fairly reliable so far.

Jiggs1960

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2022 Chevy Colorado
Vehicle Showcase
I am in the process of purchasing a JL 2.0 and kinda freaked out by all the electrical and quality control issues. Anyone with experience recommend avoiding the 2.0 and going for the v6 instead?
THANKS!!
so far, so good, but haven't had it off-road yet......waiting for spring (just got it late last summer)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
The 2.0 is definitely no slouch, when one wants to jump off a stoplight or drop a couple gears to pass slower traffic. Even lifted on 38's and stock gearing, I can break the tires if feeling foggy off a dead stop. And I'm not talking about torque and boost building first, just normal from brake to throttle take offs. I'm not at all a fast driver regularly, but it's nice to know that it's there and ready for when I need to tap into it. I'll soon be replacing the front and rear axle shafts with rcv's, but am glad that I can forego shorter gears that come with less surface contact in the carrier assembly. Twisting axle splines is a bigger concern, between this engines torque and taller tires.

Also, I highly recommend a throttle controller. Even adjusted to maintain the same range of motion to wide open throttle, removing the delay between throttle input and throttle body reaction has really improved drive ability. Not that I had any complaints before, but it was deemed money well spent within a minute of the 1st drive after installing it.
Questions:
Which throttle control did you get? I'm hearing Super Chips is best for the turbo.
You don't plan on re-gearing from the 4.10s to at least 4.88s with 38" tires?

Sponsored

scj64

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Ram 2500, ā€˜23 R/T, ā€˜23 20A 392, ā€˜22 FLHTK
Reason I did not buy a 2.0T; cannot get a 6MT behind it.
As soon as someone offers a boost system for a ā€˜23, Iā€™ll install it.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Questions:
Which throttle control did you get? I'm hearing Super Chips is best for the turbo.
You don't plan on re-gearing from the 4.10s to at least 4.88s with 38" tires?
I have the EVC iDrive throttle controller. It's sole functions are to remove the delay between throttle pedal imput and throttle body reaction, and to provide sensitivity adjustments that simply shorten or lengthen the distance that the pedal needs to be pressed to reach wide open throttle.

I don't think EVC exists anymore, but I'd probably go with the Hike It 9 version if I was shopping right now. Neither one will have any affect of the engine beyond the fly by wire throttle pedal.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret? 20210107_130059
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret? 20210107_130018

I don't at all discount the benefit of shorter gears when it comes to offsetting the performance loss that comes with larger tires. Although, I must say that the felt loss wasn't all that drastic with the 38's and 4" of actual lift, due to the low and mid range torque of the 2.0 engine. Also, the closer sequential gearing of the 8-speed auto does a phenomenal job of keeping the engine in the meat of its torque plateau.

It's when I upped the ante to 40's and 5.5/6" of actual lift that the performance loss became very noticeable. It's still not at all a pig. When I'm froggy off a dead stop, I can still spin a tire. At the same time, it does feel heavier to accelerate because I'm stretching the 4.10's beyond their happy range.

It really boils down to stubbornness on my part. I've already sunk enough money into these factory 44's as is, and I wouldn't be able to stop myself from also adding ARB lockers during a re-gear. That's about another $4k, if installed by myself.

Also, my driving style both on and offroad doesn't fully exploit that performance loss. I typically let it low rpm shift into 2nd and 3rd, bring it up to moderate rpms for the shift to 4th, and that's when I really start feeding it the coal. I've always had the habit of shorting shifting the lower gears of all my vehicles. If I was a spirited driver, I'd probably wouldn't be as okay with it.

Another factor involved, is my plan to go with larger axles to better support the shorter gears. The larger diameter ring gear allows for a larger pinion gear, resulting in a larger contact area in the mesh. I'm willing to wait for 72.5" wide axles with air lockers and 5.38's to get that performance back.

38's and 4" lift vs 40's and 5.5/6" lift...
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret? 20211013_132632
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret? 20220806_091606

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
Those who pay $$$ for pedal controller type devices, why don't you just... press the pedal down farther? It's the exact same thing the controller is doing.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Iā€™d be surprised if many people wind up regretting their engine choice. Both the 2.0 and 3.6 are good engines with relatively similar power.

Once you own one or the other, it probably feels pretty good to you most of the time and so youā€™re not spending much time thinking about it.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate

• Turbo engines work better at higher elevations Vs. natural aspiration engines. (ie. Up in the Colorado mountains.)

• Naturally aspirated engines loose performance at higher altitudes.

• It just looks weird. Like a filled saggy diaper. I don't like it.
    • Also, it has the potential to hang you up on rocks more due to less ground clearance than the gas models.
  • DEF Fluid (diesel exhaust fluid).

• Weight - Its heavy.
  • Too powerful
    • I would have kept my C7 Z06 if all I cared about was how the engine sounds.

This should be pinned
How can we make that happen?
Sponsored