Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret?

waif69

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU and 1987 Wrangler
We bought a late 2018 JLU 2.0T and should have lemon lawed it. Instead we made the mistake of letting the FCA try and try again after we hit the numbers for lemon law. Six painful months for FCA to repurchase is and we eventually we took possession of a 2019 JLU 2.0T. (They didn't even offer a 6cyl in automatic) So far so good, it has ~6k on and it is running fine. We will be putting ~4k on in this month and hope that all continues to go well. I doubt the dealership will ever want to see us again.

Advertisement

tkoob

First Name
Ted
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
WELL,
I agree with everyone, I have a 2021 JL 2D 4T, love it. love it. My first jeep.
reliability? not sure, I have not had it long enough to know! I can tell you with a high level of confidence that my V8 2002 Tundra is very reliable with 210K miles and 18 years of good maintenance.
4T remains to be seen!

I like the power/torque of the 4T (this is my second vehicle with 4T , I have an Acura RDX with similar specs also) and let's face it as someone on this thread said it's going to be the new norm, we might accept it.

As far as complexity, I don't like emotor attached and I am glad at least mine does not have the electric assist motor but again it's the new norm. My mechanic told me not to expect the same reliability and inexpensive operating cost from the jeep but he also tells me with good maintenance any car will last a long time.

Gas mileage? I am very happy with my 19MPG on the JL4T, my other car is a V8 Tundra you see! (11 MPG) LOL

Memcdowe

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0
I’m really enjoying mine. Hope they prove reliable long term! Second favorite Jeep engine since the 4.0.

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude
27K now and NO issues, very glad to have the cold weather package! This Jeep loves weather, even the sub zero kind. My opinion may change when we transfer to hail season but no regrets. My 4th Jeep and the best one yet! The limited slip works really well in the snow - haven’t needed 4H so far.

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe our engines call for Premium, being 91 or 93 octane. Near me, we only have 87/89/93. Anything higher is considered race fuel around here and can only be found near the couple of dirt racetracks we have. FWIW, there are plenty of success stories on here of these engines being run on 87 without issue.
I see a difference (slight) in using 91 non-ethanol premium but honestly, it runs well on 87, too. It’s tough to find anything higher than 91 but you don’t need it. My dirt bikes, that’s another story!

tkoob

First Name
Ted
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
love reading this thread!
you know they call it progress, they will eventually force us down some road that we don't want to go but they will debug the issues as experience is gained.

just as engines got reliable and ran troublefree (Fuel injection and other improvements) , the fuel conservations kicked in and added complexity of Turbo and eTorque and God knows what else.

I am not going to complain and going to enjoy the experience it's a good carl, nimble great design and fun to drive.

Wkaz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Lovin my 2021 turbo, time will tell. Ya, gas is more expensive but you can't take it with you anyways. . so far worst tank around town was 19.7 on 87, pretty consistent 21/22 with 93. Hy-way pushing 24mpg. Fun like a VW!

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I just took a trip and got the worst displayed mileage I ever have, around 18 mpg. The only change since I last got 25-26 hwy was installing a 3/4” spacer up front so it’s currently sitting level until I do the same in the rear when the weather cooperates. I was running a low 29 psi tire pressure hwy along with gusts of wind I fought for the better part of 8 hours in 0-25° temperatures so maybe it was a trifecta of mpg hurting circumstances.

Other than that, my 31k mile 2.0T has been a flawless experience so far. Just oil, oil filters, air filters, and tire rotations.

18JLRubi

First Name
joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2019 JLUR
I see a difference (slight) in using 91 non-ethanol premium but honestly, it runs well on 87, too. It’s tough to find anything higher than 91 but you don’t need it. My dirt bikes, that’s another story!
I think the difference you are seeing is the non ethanol part... I see no difference in 93 to 87 with the normal 10% ish ethanol. I'm also at 28k. I've run 93 once since about 10k miles.. just to make sure nothing has changed with the break-in and greater mileage.... on another note.. did you notice a big increase in economy after 20k ish ???

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Just buy a used one with over 20k miles of rental miles. If it can survive the abuse of hundreds of random drivers, then it’ll probably be fine for the rest of your ownership. That’s what I did with mine. 27k rental miles but not a single scratch underneath so no rock crawling

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
So 17k Mike’s and suddenly on a road trip getting 21 miles to the gallon with 35” ridge grapplers .. after a year and a half of 16 mph on road trips.. strange

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the difference you are seeing is the non ethanol part... I see no difference in 93 to 87 with the normal 10% ish ethanol. I'm also at 28k. I've run 93 once since about 10k miles.. just to make sure nothing has changed with the break-in and greater mileage.... on another note.. did you notice a big increase in economy after 20k ish ???
I did. I am steady at a 23 mpg average. I’m running premium year round but know I don’t have to. I will run non-ethanol premium when I can but it isn’t found on my side of town yet. Pre-20K mileage was 18-20. I noticed the exhaust note is maturing, too. Best heard with the radio playing at talk over levels. Nice balance. Hard to keep my foot out of this thing, though - so much fun!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unencumbered
Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret?

No. I continue to have 2.0 Turbo validation.

I like the GME T4 Hurricane every time I drive the vehicle. Easygoing when I want it, plenty of hustle when I need it. 26 MPG using 91 or better. No E-Torque nonsense, either.

Wanting to give the minivan engine a fair chance, I test drove three separate Wranglers with the 3.6L V6. I walked away unimpressed, but not uninformed.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
What do you mean by this? Just curious.
Someone who is afraid of the 48V battery and added complexity, but not afraid of Turbo chargers.

For what it's worth I've had no issues doing some very difficult black/red trails with a 2.0L e-Torque.

Nothing between what I own and the 392 excites me, and being able to get ~19mpg on cross country trips is hard to give up.

Advertisement

Morris 4x4 Center

Advertisement