Sponsored

Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
20200107_162308.jpg
Hello guy, first post here. I love my 2.0. Its the second one we have bought. Have owned several cars and trucks with turbo. I like how easy it is to straight pipe and tune turbo motors. I feel the Jeep has great torque and gets off the line well with large tires.
Welcome! Nice looking build. The added torque of the 2.0T gets those huge wheel/tires moving a lot easier. 3.6 owners would be looking to re-gear. The extra torque is a nice added benefit of the 2.0T.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Has any one added a dual exhaust to the I4 Turbo? I'm considering a Magna Flow exhaust like I did with my Wrangler V6.

Also, any comments regarding removing the resonator vs. keeping it? Sound, performance, pluses/minuses?

Thanks! Great dialog on this forum!!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
This thread is interesting and helpful. I’m getting a replacement Jeep and am considering the 2.0. Bumping this thread for more feedback :like:
I see you had a 2-door Rubicon. Check out the new Recon Ed if your considering the 2.0T eTorque. It's available as a 2-door.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I see you had a 2-door Rubicon. Check out the new Recon Ed if your considering the 2.0T eTorque. It's available as a 2-door.
I’m going to get a 4-door. I love the 2-door, but hubby drives a two-seater and there are times when the 4-door JL would be useful.

I’m reading about the eTorque v 2.0 without. The 2.0 JLs I drove over the weekend were 2020s, so no eTorque. My Jeep is my DD, but I will put 35s on and hit some trails so I need something suitable for both. We were concerned about the complexity and cooling lines in the 2.0s (cooling lines in the eTorque only? still learning), but people with these engines seem to be very happy.

I’m glad I have a little time to decide.

Sponsored

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
I’m going to get a 4-door. I love the 2-door, but hubby drives a two-seater and there are times when the 4-door JL would be useful.

I’m reading about the eTorque v 2.0 without. The 2.0 JLs I drove over the weekend were 2020s, so no eTorque. My Jeep is my DD, but I will put 35s on and hit some trails so I need something suitable for both. We were concerned about the complexity and cooling lines in the 2.0s (cooling lines in the eTorque only? still learning), but people with these engines seem to be very happy.

I’m glad I have a little time to decide.
I have the 2.0 Turbo with eTorque and cannot imagine driving my JLU without it. It really feels good driving at speed in traffic and from a dead stop. I have to remind myself I’m not in a sports car but DANG! This Jeep is a hoot to drive on and off road! No shade on the 3.6 but the 2.0 wants to run! No regrets and absolutely love the gas mileage, too.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I only read the last twenty pages but this thread is a mall cruiser 2.0 love fest. All about MPG, LOL what happened to Wranglers being the most capable OFF road vehicles. My 2015 1.8 turbo VW golf gets close to 40 mpg, so what.
JK on big wheels.jpeg

This guy is having a 2.O swapped into his JK as I post.
my 2.0 does not get good gas mileage.. but it's a beast offroad.. though I will say one thought for anyone who does offroad.. the turbo lag can be touchy when you are trying to delicately power over a rock, without dropping down on your frame. if the turbo kicks in at the wrong time it kind of pops you forward.

4031760C-EC48-4672-B7F1-49E5963835ED.jpeg

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
True, but mine is a 2020 and it was like $$2k less than the v6 (don't quote me on that) but i was a decent amount less than the v6.. and it's been a great motor for me.. and is quick and powerful.. just a mild complaint about the turbo lag when offroading.. despite the mile imperfection i would still go the same route again. since is in no way a major issue.. my JKU had the v6 and it had it's own imperfections

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
True, but mine is a 2020 and it was like $$2k less than the v6 (don't quote me on that) but i was a decent amount less than the v6.. and it's been a great motor for me.. and is quick and powerful.. just a mild complaint about the turbo lag when offroading.. despite the mile imperfection i would still go the same route again. since is in no way a major issue.. my JKU had the v6 and it had it's own imperfections
Get a throttle controller and you probably won't have that issue.

I don't think it's true turbo lag, but the delay in the actual accelerator pedal to throttle.

I experience the same thing you have and then installed a Hikeit X9. Depending on what level you set it at, the throttle can be instantaneous, yet smooth and controlled. No more lag from when you start leaning on the pedal. Best $200 I've spent on the Jeep.

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
It’s simply a replacement for displacement. Nothing more. I loved the 2L turbo when I drove it. It’s engineered to have no lag in 4 low on the trail. The 8spd matches its powerband well. In 2wd it has lag, but less than the 86 GN I used to drive. Is it more complex and does it have more parts to break—yes.

Ultimately it’s a personal decision; i hope my v6 brothers love their jeeps as much as I love mine; and I hope to see you on the trails.

Sponsored

Rogueman_1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm personally a little excited about the turbo. I currently have a V6 JKUR that I bought brand new and have had a head replaced (at 15k miles!) and recently the head gasket replaced (out of warranty... ouch). All in all, it hasn't been a bad engine but I'm looking forward to something new.

And I don't care what anybody says, the 3.6 V6 has a flawed design that leads to head failure. Happened on my buddies '12 and it happened on my '15. I'm not rolling the dice on another.

bburn2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited / 2008 Wrangler Unlimited
I have the 2.0 and it is very responsive. I have been doing some start and go comparisons with my 2008 Wrangler and the 2.0 clearly shines, but it is 11 years newer. My 2008 has the old 3.8 and it is a great engine at 130K, I hope to get the same from this one as I love the 3.8. I think these mild hybrids are the way of the future. Yes, they do have many moving parts, cooling hoses, cooling systems etc. I hope in 10 years I love the 2.0 as much as my 3.8. An added plus is the 3.8 came with the lifetime powertrain warranty, just take it in every 5 years for the inspection and she's good to go for another 5. To answer your question, no regret at this time. I look forward to see how she performs in the sand and off road. From what I have heard, she should do well!

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I too am coming from a 2015 JKU lifted Hard Rock to a JLU Recon w/2.0 Etorque. This little 4 cylinder is a surprisingly stout engine...I like the way it runs though it’s noisy when cold... It’s way faster/smoother than my 2015.
Sponsored