Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Love mine so far. 3300 miles.

I am concerned about all the complication, though.

I’ll most likely trade it in at 36/36.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Love mine so far. 3300 miles.

I am concerned about all the complication, though.

I’ll most likely trade it in at 36/36.
Any new vehicle is complicated today. Not much to worry about as far as turbo or eTorque. The turbo, eTorque battery and related components are under Federal Emissions Warranty for 8 years/80K miles. There is always the option of the Mopar Extended Warranty also. You can buy it up until 48 months and 48K miles. Makes more sense to buy it before 36 months and 36K miles though so you have continuous bumper to bumper coverage and all the other benefits.

I do understand about buying something else before the bumper to bumper expires though. I usually get rid of vehicles after a few years out of boredom.

JLTurbo

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
Wouldn't have bought the Wrangler any other way. The added 70 lb-ft of torque at 0 rpm has eliminated any turbo lag. By the time the etorque disengages, the turbo has spooled up. Previous vehicle was a 2015 WRX (2.0L Turbo) and the Wrangler etorque has no turbo lag in comparison. 48V BSG systems have been around for many years and are simple in design.

There seems to be a great deal of concern with it's capabilities off-road, but Motor Trend, TFLcar, and many other review companies are using the 2.0 Etorque with nothing but praise. It traversed the Rubicon Trail alongside the 3.6 Pentastar with just as much ease and zero problems.

The power is much greater than the V6, and fuel economy seems to be 2-4 mpg better in city driving (savings is somewhat minimized by paying for 91 octane depending on your annual mileage). Admittedly, highway driving is no different (approx. 18 mpg with a Rubicon Unlimited), but I'm averaging much better overall than the Pentastar with more power and incredibly smooth start/stop and shifts. The 8-speed, thanks to the smoothing capability of the etorque, feels as close to a CVT as I've driven since I owned a Prius with no fixed gears. If not for the gear indicator, you would never know it's shifting.

The BSG and battery pack are warrantied through 8 yrs./80k miles. Sure the spark plug replacement every 30k is disappointing, but I'll save just as much on brakes due to the regenerative breaking.

Last but not least, the Rubicon will no longer offer Etorque as of 2020. That means it had a 2-year run. There's nothing to support the belief that this is based upon reliability issues. Sounds like it's more a matter of simplifying the assembly line and configurations for manufacturing efficiencies. This being the case, the Rubicons with Etorque will be more sought after in the used market, given the added power, efficiency, and smoothness.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
eTorque will still be available in the Sahara in either engine, 3.6L or the 2.0L.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
c_oc=AQk-I2N8pAyk3yhBSlNvi9h9VqYmXTYliZbjG2jhmD3YxaitueDUsDQmh_Rt1A3K2_I&_nc_ht=scontent.fboi1-1.jpg

None of the V6 guys are hitting these numbers on 37's. And yes, it's dirty. No top, no doors, 8hrs in a group of Jeeps on a dusty dirt road. Ugh.

I should note, I didn't buy my Jeep for MPG's. I've been driving a full-size truck for the past few years on 37's with zero cares. But it certainly is exciting to see this. And having that torque spin these tires like it was nothing.
I know this is right. We took a long trip to Montana and back. On 37s. Amazing. Even the evic is right on the money after the Tazer.

B1F61D99-9636-46B5-9CE4-2EE162D232CE.jpeg

My 4 door JL V6 ran good but the mileage was easily 4-5 mpg less.

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Today crusing around town

mpgs.jpg

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
I went through Hoosier pass this afternoon. Colorado State Highway 9 north bound. Pass at 11,500ish feet and about 8% grade. Plenty of power at that altitude. Love the 2.0. I truly did not notice much power loss.

Burt

First Name
Burt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2014 FJ Cruiser (TTUE), 2016 Camry XLE (wife’s)
Occupation
Retired
Love my 2.0 also, glad I decided on it. If there turns to be issues with it, I’ll pay the toll and drive my FJ while its in the shop. More and more vehicles have turbos now, that should tell us something about the technology.

ctaborda

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 430i Convertible 2019, Looking for a Sahara or Moab.
Not sure if this counts, as I don’t own one.

But I rented a Sahara for a week and it was a 2.0, and yes I really felt the torque. However, that engine noise is terrible. It sounded like this terrible high pitch “weeeeeze”, maybe you stop hearing it after a while, but it bothered me.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if this counts, as I don’t own one.

But I rented a Sahara for a week and it was a 2.0, and yes I really felt the torque. However, that engine noise is terrible. It sounded like this terrible high pitch “weeeeeze”, maybe you stop hearing it after a while, but it bothered me.
Never driven a turbo car before?

Last edited:

Sponsored

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Wouldn't have bought the Wrangler any other way. The added 70 lb-ft of torque at 0 rpm has eliminated any turbo lag. By the time the etorque disengages, the turbo has spooled up. Previous vehicle was a 2015 WRX (2.0L Turbo) and the Wrangler etorque has no turbo lag in comparison. 48V BSG systems have been around for many years and are simple in design.

There seems to be a great deal of concern with it's capabilities off-road, but Motor Trend, TFLcar, and many other review companies are using the 2.0 Etorque with nothing but praise. It traversed the Rubicon Trail alongside the 3.6 Pentastar with just as much ease and zero problems.

The power is much greater than the V6, and fuel economy seems to be 2-4 mpg better in city driving (savings is somewhat minimized by paying for 91 octane depending on your annual mileage). Admittedly, highway driving is no different (approx. 18 mpg with a Rubicon Unlimited), but I'm averaging much better overall than the Pentastar with more power and incredibly smooth start/stop and shifts. The 8-speed, thanks to the smoothing capability of the etorque, feels as close to a CVT as I've driven since I owned a Prius with no fixed gears. If not for the gear indicator, you would never know it's shifting.

The BSG and battery pack are warrantied through 8 yrs./80k miles. Sure the spark plug replacement every 30k is disappointing, but I'll save just as much on brakes due to the regenerative breaking.

Last but not least, the Rubicon will no longer offer Etorque as of 2020. That means it had a 2-year run. There's nothing to support the belief that this is based upon reliability issues. Sounds like it's more a matter of simplifying the assembly line and configurations for manufacturing efficiencies. This being the case, the Rubicons with Etorque will be more sought after in the used market, given the added power, efficiency, and smoothness.
I tried 91, but went back to 87. Didn't notice any difference really. There's a sheet in the manual that says it's designed to run on 87. But if towing or high heat to use 91 for optimum performance. Since where I live there is no heat lol, I think 87 will be fine.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
My review after a recent rental:

Having recently sold my 2015 Ford F-250 Powerstroke Platinum 4x4, I needed some off-road wheels to partake of our annual father/son varmint hunting trip. For many years, we have headed out from Houston to northern Wyoming to spend time together over varmint rifles and wide-open spaces.

A quick search of my Hertz rental app found a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 door hardtop for $322 per week with unlimited miles. I considered the size and if it would hold our gear, then booked the reservation and picked it up on 06/19/2019 returning it on 06/28/2019. It had 4,500 miles on the odometer and we put an additional 3,186.1 miles on it during the time we had it.

It was a black 2019 Sahara and was amply outfitted including automatic transmission, sans the GPS option which is Hertz (and every other car rental company’s) way of lifting a few more dollars from a renter’s wallet. No worries, pocket Garmin to the rescue along with my Google Pixel 3 XL.

We loaded up and headed out early on the morning of the 20th at 05:30 with waypoints in Fort Worth, Amarillo, Raton, Trinidad, to finally stop in Fort Collins, CO for the night arriving at about 22:15. Struck out the next morning for Sheridan and arrived around 14:00 and grabbed a bite, then was off to check out the hunting site to find it in good order with a moving carpet of varmints.

It drove well and the headlights were more than adequate to illuminate the backroads, but the LED lighting system would have been a nice upgrade—particularly for the back-up lights which were woefully inadequate. In fact, if I buy one and cannot find the LED option, the back-up lights would be the very first upgrade. Acceleration was more than sufficient and after a few miles, I engaged the cruise control and settled in for the long drive with the XM radio playing in the background.

I assumed the engine of choice was the 3.6L V6, but did not bother to lift the hood prior to setting out. My first stop to refuel was outside Fort Worth and with such few miles on it, I waffled on checking the fluids, but then did. I was incredibly surprised to find a 2.0T engine housed within the bay. The oil levels were spot on, but the windshield washer fluid was low and going lower courtesy of the zillions of winged (or should I say de-winged) insects adoring the front of the vehicle and the entire surface of the windshield.

I topped off with 87 octane (in fact, I only ran 87 or 85 octane the entire trip and the engine never once complained about it) and continued our journey. The winds were very strong the entire trip and the Jeep had to be slightly “herded” when strong crosswinds would hit. Not unexpected with a higher vehicle, (my Powerstroke was affected too), so this was not given a second thought.

The 8-speed transmission never hunted for gears or hesitated, in fact, it was one of the best transmissions (except for the 9 speed in my AMG GLC43 Coupe) that I have driven in many years. The engine did not sound strained or whiny and though many will complain about it, the start/stop system was equivalent to that in my Mercedes cars and was not an issue for me. The 4x4 shifter was incredibly stiff to the point I thought it would break, but allowing the Jeep to roll slightly helped with the shifting. Subsequent shifts required far less exertion so I will write it off as a new transfer case.

We easily bested the hills and ravines of northern Wyoming and forded through at least 20” of water. At no time did it feel unstable or wanting for power nor did it allow dust to enter the cabin. The latter I find as a testament to the sealing that is more than ample on all of the openings. I cannot speak to the same for a soft top, but assume it would be similar. The rear tailgate did not have the hinge reinforcement option, but it did not feel “flimsy” when opened.

Overall, I am very impressed with the 2.0T engine and should I elect to buy a Jeep, it will definitely get the nod over the V6 option, but it will be the Rubicon so that I have the Dana 44 axles front and rear and the 4.10 ratio in both. The power and torque of the mighty mouse is on par with the V6, but fuel economy is where the 4 banger shines. Our overall average for the trip was 23.6 MPG and this was with 87 octane (or 85 octane in Colorado and Wyoming), highway speeds between 75 and 80, and 40+ miles of 4x4 Low mixed in (we averaged 62MPH for the trip).

Long term, it is my guess the V6 option will go the way of the dodo bird in favor of a more powerful version of the turbocharged four-cylinder engine. This seems to be the case across most every manufacturer’s powertrain line, though time will tell if it becomes the norm. In any case, the 2.0T will serve you well in the power and economy arena and those who are hesitant to own one should not be. Rent one and put several hundred miles on it and see for yourself.

Pros:

• Fuel economy
• Plenty of torque in 4x4 to climb hills and ravines
• Smooth power
• Comfortable seats and ride—we drove from Denver to Houston via Kansas and never felt tired or stiff
• Decent space in the rear
• Jeep 4x4 durability
• Accuracy of fuel gauge. I missed an opportunity to fill up before entering the Kansas turnpike and had to search for a station. We went down to 7 miles before empty and thus I can testify it “works”!

Cons:

• Poorly illuminated back-up lights (seriously to the point of being dangerous)
• Buffeting; when certain highway surfaces and speed are in sync buffeting occurs in the cabin to point of being a serious annoyance. This is even with a hard top and though not a show stopper, it did “wear” on me on such a long trip. Fortunately, it only occurred on Kansas highways, but I assume it could happen anywhere.
• Windshield durability. We had no less than 3 stars/cracks happen on the trip and the strikes were incredibly soft. While I understand that rock wins over glass, the windshield in the Jeep is not forgiving in the slightest. I am not sure if the angle is a contributor, but it did not fare well.
• Window switch location. Obviously, not a deal breaker and I totally understand the rationale, but it did take some conscious thought to remember the location.
• Glove compartment size. Owner’s manual, toolkit to remove the top and that is pretty much it. The center console does not provide much relief either and thus likely the reason for the option to have overhead storage in the headliner.

vGQYg.jpg

Last edited:

LailaiJl

First Name
Laina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Jl Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
We have had our 2.0 turbo JLUR on 35s for just over a month, previously owned a 3.6L JL Sport S on 35s did a ton of trails with it. We have done 2 trails so far in our 2.0, we love it!

We just got back from a trip, Denver to up into the Rockies over the Continental Divide 350+ miles. We did a moderate trail while up there, max elevation 9652. End of trip we are at 20.3 MPG which is really awesome especially for the elevation gain. We weren't taking it slow up i70 and hwy 40 which is where most of the elevation gain happens.

The best part has to be the power, there is no loss in power we were still able to blaze by the slower vehicles in our way. It's really a lot of fun, she does awesome on trails and haven't had any issues on the trail with the turbo or the battery pack.

No turbo lag in daily driving is amazing too! The battery pack definitely is a winner for us.

Most recent trip
20190804_130622.jpg
20190803_133645.jpg
20190803_143208.jpg

1st trip

20190707_102538.jpg
20190707_105952.jpg
20190707_121336.jpg
20190707_120835.jpg

DrDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Beetle 2003, Sahara 4 door Silver 2020
My review after a recent rental:

Having recently sold my 2015 Ford F-250 Powerstroke Platinum 4x4, I needed some off-road wheels to partake of our annual father/son varmint hunting trip. For many years, we have headed out from Houston to northern Wyoming to spend time together over varmint rifles and wide-open spaces.

A quick search of my Hertz rental app found a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 door hardtop for $322 per week with unlimited miles. I considered the size and if it would hold our gear, then booked the reservation and picked it up on 06/19/2019 returning it on 06/28/2019. It had 4,500 miles on the odometer and we put an additional 3,186.1 miles on it during the time we had it.

It was a black 2019 Sahara and was amply outfitted including automatic transmission, sans the GPS option which is Hertz (and every other car rental company’s) way of lifting a few more dollars from a renter’s wallet. No worries, pocket Garmin to the rescue along with my Google Pixel 3 XL.

We loaded up and headed out early on the morning of the 20th at 05:30 with waypoints in Fort Worth, Amarillo, Raton, Trinidad, to finally stop in Fort Collins, CO for the night arriving at about 22:15. Struck out the next morning for Sheridan and arrived around 14:00 and grabbed a bite, then was off to check out the hunting site to find it in good order with a moving carpet of varmints.

It drove well and the headlights were more than adequate to illuminate the backroads, but the LED lighting system would have been a nice upgrade—particularly for the back-up lights which were woefully inadequate. In fact, if I buy one and cannot find the LED option, the back-up lights would be the very first upgrade. Acceleration was more than sufficient and after a few miles, I engaged the cruise control and settled in for the long drive with the XM radio playing in the background.

I assumed the engine of choice was the 3.6L V6, but did not bother to lift the hood prior to setting out. My first stop to refuel was outside Fort Worth and with such few miles on it, I waffled on checking the fluids, but then did. I was incredibly surprised to find a 2.0T engine housed within the bay. The oil levels were spot on, but the windshield washer fluid was low and going lower courtesy of the zillions of winged (or should I say de-winged) insects adoring the front of the vehicle and the entire surface of the windshield.

I topped off with 87 octane (in fact, I only ran 87 or 85 octane the entire trip and the engine never once complained about it) and continued our journey. The winds were very strong the entire trip and the Jeep had to be slightly “herded” when strong crosswinds would hit. Not unexpected with a higher vehicle, (my Powerstroke was affected too), so this was not given a second thought.

The 8-speed transmission never hunted for gears or hesitated, in fact, it was one of the best transmissions (except for the 9 speed in my AMG GLC43 Coupe) that I have driven in many years. The engine did not sound strained or whiny and though many will complain about it, the start/stop system was equivalent to that in my Mercedes cars and was not an issue for me. The 4x4 shifter was incredibly stiff to the point I thought it would break, but allowing the Jeep to roll slightly helped with the shifting. Subsequent shifts required far less exertion so I will write it off as a new transfer case.

We easily bested the hills and ravines of northern Wyoming and forded through at least 20” of water. At no time did it feel unstable or wanting for power nor did it allow dust to enter the cabin. The latter I find as a testament to the sealing that is more than ample on all of the openings. I cannot speak to the same for a soft top, but assume it would be similar. The rear tailgate did not have the hinge reinforcement option, but it did not feel “flimsy” when opened.

Overall, I am very impressed with the 2.0T engine and should I elect to buy a Jeep, it will definitely get the nod over the V6 option, but it will be the Rubicon so that I have the Dana 44 axles front and rear and the 4.10 ratio in both. The power and torque of the mighty mouse is on par with the V6, but fuel economy is where the 4 banger shines. Our overall average for the trip was 23.6 MPG and this was with 87 octane (or 85 octane in Colorado and Wyoming), highway speeds between 75 and 80, and 40+ miles of 4x4 Low mixed in (we averaged 62MPH for the trip).

Long term, it is my guess the V6 option will go the way of the dodo bird in favor of a more powerful version of the turbocharged four-cylinder engine. This seems to be the case across most every manufacturer’s powertrain line, though time will tell if it becomes the norm. In any case, the 2.0T will serve you well in the power and economy arena and those who are hesitant to own one should not be. Rent one and put several hundred miles on it and see for yourself.

Pros:

• Fuel economy
• Plenty of torque in 4x4 to climb hills and ravines
• Smooth power
• Comfortable seats and ride—we drove from Denver to Houston via Kansas and never felt tired or stiff
• Decent space in the rear
• Jeep 4x4 durability
• Accuracy of fuel gauge. I missed an opportunity to fill up before entering the Kansas turnpike and had to search for a station. We went down to 7 miles before empty and thus I can testify it “works”!

Cons:

• Poorly illuminated back-up lights (seriously to the point of being dangerous)
• Buffeting; when certain highway surfaces and speed are in sync buffeting occurs in the cabin to point of being a serious annoyance. This is even with a hard top and though not a show stopper, it did “wear” on me on such a long trip. Fortunately, it only occurred on Kansas highways, but I assume it could happen anywhere.
• Windshield durability. We had no less than 3 stars/cracks happen on the trip and the strikes were incredibly soft. While I understand that rock wins over glass, the windshield in the Jeep is not forgiving in the slightest. I am not sure if the angle is a contributor, but it did not fare well.
• Window switch location. Obviously, not a deal breaker and I totally understand the rationale, but it did take some conscious thought to remember the location.
• Glove compartment size. Owner’s manual, toolkit to remove the top and that is pretty much it. The center console does not provide much relief either and thus likely the reason for the option to have overhead storage in the headliner.

vGQYg.jpg
Thanks for the great critique, very helpful

Tygerman76

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper S Countryman, 2018 Mini Cooper S Hardtop, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Drove from Medfield ,Massachusetts to Asheville, NC towing a 4x8 uhaul trailer that is probably 1500 pounds loaded. 1006 miles and 53 gallons purchased for 18.9 mpg. So far traveling around the mountains no trailer and no trails yet, the onboard says 24.2 mpg. Will updated on fill up. The power while towing the trailer was crazy!
Sponsored