Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret?

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I continue to be impressed. Even with 3.45 gearing and 315/70/17 KO2 tires it has plenty of pep and feels lively around town. I can get surprisingly good gas mileage driving normal or even conservative but can also get heavy-footed and notice a good drop - like any other small turbo. Still no regret but always have a nagging thought in the back of my mind of problems down the road. I hope to keep this for a very long time.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Love the 2.0.. Great torque and performance, Ok fuel mileage (although it does take some self control not to romp on it) and in general, just a smooth and serviceable powerplant. Time will tell, My first JL 2.0 was made in Italy, this one is made in the USA..

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
So I’ve had my JLUR with the 2.0 for about three weeks now and have around 700 miles on it. I have had a 97 TJ, 10, 12 and 13 JK. The TJ’s 4.0 was great but in the mountains of CO still lacked power on the highway. The 10-12 JK’s were not good at all. When accelerating up hills, you had no choice but to downshift. It could never accelerate while holding a gear. I remember one day going up berthoud pass and being passed by a duramax with a massive boat behind it. I held my head in shame.

The 13 Jk with the pentastar was fantastic! I had it parked with the 5 speed auto and it rarely had to downshift to accelerate. The vehicle drove as you wanted it to with plenty of power.

So when ordering my JL I kept all of this in mind. I also took into account how well turbo vehicles do in the mountains compared to NA. I drove my friends 2.0 and thought it felt very much like my 13JK. I didn’t notice any turbo lag, it definitely threw me back in my seat and in general seemed very impressive. With the added benefit of better gas mileage I pulled the trigger on it.

Well, I’m not sure if i’m 100% satisfied with my decision. The ESS seems to have more lag the more I drive it. When starting from a stop I notice lag in the power. Initially it starts off slow but then something kicks in and you definitely have a lot of power. Possibly more than my JK. I like the idea of e-assist, but i’m not sure how much it’s helping from a stop. I watched one of the videos above where the engineer describes it and he indicates with the ram it only assist with one half wheel rotation. If that’s the case with the JL I’m not sure if it’s enough to make up for the turbo lag. At times the acceleration does not feel linear at all.

Once you’re driving my impressions are mixed. Sometimes the engine seems to have enough power to accelerate without shifting, but other times it has to shift. For example if you’re going 45 mph and want to go to 50 mph, you apply the accelerator gently, sometimes it will get to 50 without downshifting and other times it downshifts and throws you back. It doesn’t feel so linear.

I can say I know the engine needs to break in and the transmission needs to learn. So I hope I don’t end up being disappointed. It’s still powerful and fast, I just hope it smooths out.
There are always trade offs. We try to buy what we think is best suited for our preferred driving characteristics. A turbo forced induction engine is usually not as liner as a naturally aspirated motor. There is some lag. No more then any other turbo engine I have owned though. You definitely notice the turbo boost and added torque when the pressure builds. The rush of power and torque is fun when boost builds but can feel like a ON/OFF switch compared to how a large displacement N/A engine makes power. That's part of why it feels less liner. A benefit of a turbo is the flat usable torque at low rpm. It feels like it takes less effort to move the vehicle with all that usable torque. I drive in the dead flat Midwest not hilly CO. I don't notice anything unusual with shifting. I wonder if the shifting has something to do with the inclines and declines? It does take a little time for the computer will learn your driving patterns.

Sponsored

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
There are always trade offs. We try to buy what we think is best suited for our preferred driving characteristics. A turbo forced induction engine is usually not as liner as a naturally aspirated motor. There is some lag. No more then any other turbo engine I have owned though. You definitely notice the turbo boost and added torque when the pressure builds. The power and torque rush is fun but can feel like a ON/OFF switch compared to a large displacement N/A engine. That's part of why it feels less liner. A benefit of a turbo is the flat usable torque at low rpm. I drive in the dead flat Midwest not hilly CO. I don't notice anything unusual with shifting. I wonder if the shifting has something to do with the inclines and declines? It does take a little time for the computer will learn your driving patterns.
It is very hilly in and around the Springs and I can hardly tell the Jeep is shifting thru the gears. This thing is just very smooth.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
It is very hilly in and around the Springs and I can hardly tell the Jeep is shifting thru the gears. This thing is just very smooth.
I agree. The 8-speed is one of the most impressive features of the JL that makes it so much better and more refined. With either engine. I feel it is matched really good to the 2.0.

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Just the joy of hear the turbo’s scrolling up when you’re in 4Lo is worth having it. That’s where you experience the torque and discover the difference.

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
New to this forum, not a Wrangler owner (yet, hopefully next year) and maybe my opinion won't matter, but I agree with some saying that a 2.0T should't be in a Wrangler. I own a 2016 VW GTI with a 2.0T and already had an issue with a coolant leak coming from a cracked water pump and a gasoline line going to the high pressure fuel pump at 34k miles... luckily I'm still under warranty and didn't pay a dime. Don't get me wrong, great engine and it's great for my GTI application, but they are vastly complicated and over-engineered. I had an old 2002 Audi with a 1.8T... and it had nothing but problems at about 110k miles. Had to replace the fuel pump, the coolant reservoir, water pump cracked, an intercooler, a bunch of rusted out lines and parts... I was fixing it monthly. Luckily I'm a YouTube Certified Tech so I do most jobs in my cars.

My point is, 2.0T for off-road I wouldn't trust, esp since you need instant torque in a lot of situations and again, reliability is compromised when having a more complicated engine. We all know Chrysler and VW have been some of the most unreliable car companies for years and have improved in the last few years, but I'd still be careful.

I know the 2.0T has e-Torque, just more over-complication down the road. Same with ESS, it's unnecessary imo, just more parts waiting to go bad (at least you can turn it off). That tech is fairly new, I'd like to see those cars at 100k with ESS.

I'll go with the Pentastar and 8-speed auto to be safe.
The water pumps are a known problem and there’s no replacement fuel filter so I’ve been waiting for fuel line issues. My EA888 has been bulletproof though, bought a 2015 in December 2014 and about to hit 80k miles. A majority of those miles have been with the engine tuned making over 300hp and 380 ft lbs. Only thing I’ve had to replace were some coil boots, spark plugs, stock clutch and 3 sets of tires, oh and a 4$ plastic part for the engine cover.
I had an 03 GTI and that was so problematic, second most unreliable car I’ve owned surpassed only by my 2012 civic. Any car can be unreliable, buy something you like and when the warranty is up and you’ve had nothing but problems it’s time to trade in the car. I plan on getting a JL at the end of the year but it’s never gonna be a DD because no matter how reliable the Jeep you run the risk of damaging it off road. My ARB air locker broke off road and stayed spooled on my DD once and that certainly taught me a lesson.

Buckleup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Jl 2.0
No regrets from me. Love the engine, but hate the “sever wheel oscillation” I go through from time to time.

Sponsored

rkr770

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Rubicon 2Dr 2.0
Occupation
Farmer
I got my JL because my JK had Gremlins starting to pop up and cause more trouble than I thought I would be able to afford. I was wanting to wait for the 3.0. I ordered the 3.6 and then I was told that I would be able to get it (2 door) faster if I went with the 2.0. I have almost 10k on it and am happy with it so far. Mine is a daily driver so it's not going to do any crazy trails. If you want to do trails I would go with the 3.6 if not then I would go with the 2.0

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I got my JL because my JK had Gremlins starting to pop up and cause more trouble than I thought I would be able to afford. I was wanting to wait for the 3.0. I ordered the 3.6 and then I was told that I would be able to get it (2 door) faster if I went with the 2.0. I have almost 10k on it and am happy with it so far. Mine is a daily driver so it's not going to do any crazy trails. If you want to do trails I would go with the 3.6 if not then I would go with the 2.0
Some very hard core off-road 2.0L guys would definitely disagree.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
I could not disagree more with that.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Anyone done an oil analysis on the 2.0, since it has Direct Injection, curious if any issue with fuel in the oil. Honda is having major issues with their Earth Dream ( what a lame name LOL) engines and fuel contamination, appears they dont have a solution. Nothing like checking the dipstick and having an extra qt of fuel in the oil. LOL

Here is one link, but many others on the interweb. My guess is there PCV and direct injection along with the turbo are factors.

Note have the 3.6 but also own 4 older Mopar turbos, 3 2.4's in Crusiers and a Shelby Dodge 2.2 in a TurboZ

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...cars-in-china-over-engine-issue-idUSKBN1FW124

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
Anyone done an oil analysis on the 2.0, since it has Direct Injection, curious if any issue with fuel in the oil. Honda is having major issues with their Earth Dream ( what a lame name LOL) engines and fuel contamination, appears they dont have a solution. Nothing like checking the dipstick and having an extra qt of fuel in the oil. LOL

Here is one link, but many others on the interweb. My guess is there PCV and direct injection along with the turbo are factors.

Note have the 3.6 but also own 4 older Mopar turbos, 3 2.4's in Crusiers and a Shelby Dodge 2.2 in a TurboZ

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...cars-in-china-over-engine-issue-idUSKBN1FW124
This is almost the same engine as Alfa Romeo uses for their 2.0L applications and I haven't heard of that being an issue. Here's a thread with a few different reports from Blackstone. One of them did 9,600 miles on the factory oil before changing it for the first time.
https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/...s/13858-2-0-ti-blackstone-oil-report-s-3.html
Sponsored