Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret?

trainsafe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0
The 2.0 does not boost the CI enough. 4 vs 6.

“The Cylinder Index (CI) is a measurement device in which the total number of internal combustion engine cylinders (working or non-working) owned by an individual (single-cylinder chainsaws, lawnmowers, 2-cycle, 4-cycle, multi-cylinder diesels, trucks and farm tractors) are tallied. The Garage Logician who attains a C.I. in excess of his age is revered.”
Crap. I only scored a 19. :(
Sponsored

twodoorfour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma TRD OR, 2018 Subaru Outback Limited
the lifetime warranty is no longer offered starting 12/1/18. there are long term warranties that are still available though, search forum for "Tom Winkels" at Hayes Jeep (269-488-2080).
First post on this forum... What is the warranty length now? If not lifetime. Thanks...

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado

twodoorfour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma TRD OR, 2018 Subaru Outback Limited

Sponsored

KRAWL AMERICA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
We absolutely love the turbo power and performance in MOJO. She has just over 4k in miles and never ceases to make us smile with the pure smooth power. Not just on trails, but in traffic the looks on folks faces that she moves so quickly and effortlessly makes it seem like they are seeing a quick jeep for the first time. Really is a hoot! If you have any questions, go and drive both engines and see what you think! It's just nuts.

MOJO LIGHT HOUSE.jpg

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
The more time I spend with this engine the more I love it. And the thing that just blows my mind the most is how great I thought my TJ's 4.0 Liter I6 was back in the day. My JLU has HALF of the displacement of my old TJ while putting out 80HP and 60lbps/ft more. It responds nearly instantly to throttle and maintains power throughout the upper range of highway speeds. If I needed to pass someone at 65 in my TJ it was like lighting a fuse and waiting in an old cartoon before power kicked in. And the ESS just feels non-existent which is the best compliment you can give it.

And the more I learn about the intracacies of how the e-torque system was designed the more I am amazed.

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
Glad it's working out for you and like I said in an earlier post I definitely want to drive one to see how it compares to my 3.6.
I haven't driven the JLU 3.6 enough to give it a fair shake, although from my limited experience it felt very simiilar to the JKUs Pentastar.

One area you will immediately notice a massive difference is the ESS.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I have the 3.6 but definitely want to drive a 2.0 one day.
Nothing wrong with trying a 2.0 if your curious about the driving dynamics. There are plenty at dealers. I would not loose any sleep over which engine is under the hood. Personally I don't think there is a bad or wrong engine choice. Just personal preferences.

I test drove both engines a LOT before ordering. I mean I drove a LOT. lol. I honestly would/could be perfectly happy with either. I decided on the 2.0 in the end. What won me over was the extra torque and driving dynamics. The 2.0 feels more lively and agile because the extra torque feels like it gets the JL moving with less effort. It makes for a slightly more fun driving experience. It's not to say the 2.0 is better, just different power delivery. The 2.0 is not perfect. It makes slightly more engine noise then the 3.6. The engine noise is very-very slight but noticeable. Your 3.6 will seem more refined because it's a little quieter. A unexpected benefit of the 2.0 is the eTorque ESS. I feel it's less noticeable then the 3.6 ESS. It's not the end all because you can just turn it off the ESS in both engines if it's annoying.

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler 2-dr Rubicon & 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
Over 11,000 miles on our 2.0 and running strong - problem free. Lots of power and good mileage - very happy with the turbo!

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The more time I spend with this engine the more I love it. And the thing that just blows my mind the most is how great I thought my TJ's 4.0 Liter I6 was back in the day. My JLU has HALF of the displacement of my old TJ while putting out 80HP and 60lbps/ft more. It responds nearly instantly to throttle and maintains power throughout the upper range of highway speeds. If I needed to pass someone at 65 in my TJ it was like lighting a fuse and waiting in an old cartoon before power kicked in. And the ESS just feels non-existent which is the best compliment you can give it.

And the more I learn about the intracacies of how the e-torque system was designed the more I am amazed.
Great video that explains the eTorque benefits.

Smooth9883

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLRU & 2018 WK2 Trailhawk
So I’ve had my JLUR with the 2.0 for about three weeks now and have around 700 miles on it. I have had a 97 TJ, 10, 12 and 13 JK. The TJ’s 4.0 was great but in the mountains of CO still lacked power on the highway. The 10-12 JK’s were not good at all. When accelerating up hills, you had no choice but to downshift. It could never accelerate while holding a gear. I remember one day going up berthoud pass and being passed by a duramax with a massive boat behind it. I held my head in shame.

The 13 Jk with the pentastar was fantastic! I had it parked with the 5 speed auto and it rarely had to downshift to accelerate. The vehicle drove as you wanted it to with plenty of power.

So when ordering my JL I kept all of this in mind. I also took into account how well turbo vehicles do in the mountains compared to NA. I drove my friends 2.0 and thought it felt very much like my 13JK. I didn’t notice any turbo lag, it definitely threw me back in my seat and in general seemed very impressive. With the added benefit of better gas mileage I pulled the trigger on it.

Well, I’m not sure if i’m 100% satisfied with my decision. The ESS seems to have more lag the more I drive it. When starting from a stop I notice lag in the power. Initially it starts off slow but then something kicks in and you definitely have a lot of power. Possibly more than my JK. I like the idea of e-assist, but i’m not sure how much it’s helping from a stop. I watched one of the videos above where the engineer describes it and he indicates with the ram it only assist with one half wheel rotation. If that’s the case with the JL I’m not sure if it’s enough to make up for the turbo lag. At times the acceleration does not feel linear at all.

Once you’re driving my impressions are mixed. Sometimes the engine seems to have enough power to accelerate without shifting, but other times it has to shift. For example if you’re going 45 mph and want to go to 50 mph, you apply the accelerator gently, sometimes it will get to 50 without downshifting and other times it downshifts and throws you back. It doesn’t feel so linear.

I can say I know the engine needs to break in and the transmission needs to learn. So I hope I don’t end up being disappointed. It’s still powerful and fast, I just hope it smooths out.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I am in the process of purchasing a JL 2.0 and kinda freaked out by all the electrical and quality control issues. Anyone with experience recommend avoiding the 2.0 and going for the v6 instead?
THANKS!!
Both choices have benefits and downside. I went with the 2.0 after about 4 back to back test rides. I have 2000 miles on it and one long road trip and it’s been great. My neighbor has a JL with the v6 and also loves it. It’s clear already the 2.0 gets better mileage as we’ve tracked it both over a couple tanks of gas.

People will mention 2.0 recalls but remember it’s not a new engine, it came from the Alphas and well proven. The recalls to date have been related to just the Jeep installation. Also the v6 pentastar had several recalls when it was new, some quite serious with head problems, But they got worked out.

Also remember BSG/eTorque is considered emissions related and has a full 100% warranty for 8 years. So pretty low risk.

If I still want to keep the JL in 8 years and the BSG is a problem it’s probably Hemi swap time.

Last edited:

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
Both choices have benefits and downside. I went with the 2.0 after about 4 back to back test rides. I have 2000 miles on it and one long road trip and it’s been great. My neighbor has a JL with the v6 and also loves it. It’s clear already the 2.0 gets better mileage as we’ve tracked it both over a couple tanks of gas.

People will mention 2.0 recalls but remember it’s not a new engine, it came from the Alphas and well proven. The recalls to date have been related to just the Jeep installation. Also the v6 pentastar had several recalls when it was new, some quite serious with head problems, But they got worked out.

Also remember ESS is considered emissions related and has a full 100% warranty for 8 years. So pretty low risk,

If I still want to keep the JL in 8 years and the ESS is a problem it’s probably Hemi swap time.
What 2.0 recalls???

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Also remember ESS is considered emissions related and has a full 100% warranty for 8 years. So pretty low risk,

If I still want to keep the JL in 8 years and the ESS is a problem it’s probably Hemi swap time.
You mean eTorque.
ESS is on both engines.
Sponsored