Sponsored

Anyone have 2.0 Turbo regret?

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
New to this forum, not a Wrangler owner (yet, hopefully next year) and maybe my opinion won't matter, but I agree with some saying that a 2.0T should't be in a Wrangler. I own a 2016 VW GTI with a 2.0T and already had an issue with a coolant leak coming from a cracked water pump and a gasoline line going to the high pressure fuel pump at 34k miles... luckily I'm still under warranty and didn't pay a dime. Don't get me wrong, great engine and it's great for my GTI application, but they are vastly complicated and over-engineered. I had an old 2002 Audi with a 1.8T... and it had nothing but problems at about 110k miles. Had to replace the fuel pump, the coolant reservoir, water pump cracked, an intercooler, a bunch of rusted out lines and parts... I was fixing it monthly. Luckily I'm a YouTube Certified Tech so I do most jobs in my cars.

My point is, 2.0T for off-road I wouldn't trust, esp since you need instant torque in a lot of situations and again, reliability is compromised when having a more complicated engine. We all know Chrysler and VW have been some of the most unreliable car companies for years and have improved in the last few years, but I'd still be careful.

I know the 2.0T has e-Torque, just more over-complication down the road. Same with ESS, it's unnecessary imo, just more parts waiting to go bad (at least you can turn it off). That tech is fairly new, I'd like to see those cars at 100k with ESS.

I'll go with the Pentastar and 8-speed auto to be safe.
Ok, I'll bite. I have a 2018 Audi TT RS, I've put over 20,000 miles on it. Turbocharged I5 (not a typo) 2.5 liter, with ~450 crank HP. Drive it hard, all the time, there's a road course near me I drive full out at. I can't even count the number of brakes I've been through, nor tires. Not a single issue. Barely burns any oil. This engine is far more complex, it's direct and port injected, and running significantly more power than anything you'd see in the 2L in the Jeep. It's being driven _far_ harder than anything or anybody would do with a Jeep. I just change the oil every 3000 miles since I'm on an 'extreme usage' pattern, and swap consumables as I need to. Just having less displacement and a turbocharger doesn't suddenly make everything terrible.

There's a lot of "it's so complex!" or "I wouldn't trust it!" here, and none if it makes any sense. All modern engines are extremely complex, but the ECUs are also insanely good. They can compensate for just about anything to keep the engine healthy. We need to move beyond the "it's new, it must be bad" mentality. Turbochargers have been around a really long time, the turbo issues of the 90s and early 00s are long-since eradicated. Lag, maintenance issues, failures, etc - these are solved problems. You're going to be hard pressed not to find 4 cylinder turbo vehicles soon, until the EVs take over completely. Less cylinders, less friction, more efficiency. More complete combustion, higher compression via forced induction and other such methods, less emissions, etc.

Let's stop spit-balling failures that aren't happening. We'll know in the next 20/50/100k miles on these engines what reality looks like, but having four cylinders and a turbo isn't reason for concern. FCA QA/QC, on the other hand, we'll see. That doesn't just apply to the 2.0. :)
Sponsored

Engineer90

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI
Let's stop spit-balling failures that aren't happening. We'll know in the next 20/50/100k miles on these engines what reality looks like, but having four cylinders and a turbo isn't reason for concern. FCA QA/QC, on the other hand, we'll see. That doesn't just apply to the 2.0. :)
My concern isn't exactly the 2.0T being a 2.0T... but like I said before it's the mechanical complexity. Most modern engines have amazing ECUs, I love that they have the modern ECUs. I was just talking about my experience and the same experiences some of my friends have had with VW/Audis turbo engines which tend to have similar problems to mine. My problems have all been mechanical, not electrical or ECU.

I love my 2.0T, but I wouldn't trust it in the trails with 37's and beefy axles and such. That's just me. In a GTI or a Audi TT, why not?

Just like you, I do drive my GTI hard, I'm considering stage 2 APR lol. I'm jealous of your TT RS

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
My concern isn't exactly the 2.0T being a 2.0T... but like I said before it's the mechanical complexity. Most modern engines have amazing ECUs, I love that they have the modern ECUs. I was just talking about my experience and the same experiences some of my friends have had with VW/Audis turbo engines which tend to have similar problems to mine. My problems have all been mechanical, not electrical or ECU.

I love my 2.0T, but I wouldn't trust it in the trails with 37's and beefy axles and such. That's just me. In a GTI or a Audi TT, why not?

Just like you, I do drive my GTI hard, I'm considering stage 2 APR lol. I'm jealous of your TT RS
The engine is under less load with 37s off-road than it ever would be even running it halfway hard on a track. It's not even close.

As far as mechanical complexity, it's just not there in significant differences on any modern engine vs. another. Every maker has their known flaws/Achilles heels. Everything is a trade-off.

I wish I could get my current I5 in a Wrangler. Might be a future swap if I get bored!

nymarty

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Sport S 2-door
actly why I said my opinion might not matter. I just have experience with 2.0T and 1.8T from VW, not Jeep. Which to be fair, most companies started "copying" VW's turbo engines.
My other ride — prior to my new 2019 2.0 JL — was a 2013 VW Golf R that I drove hard for 6 years and never had a single problem or issue with the turbo engine. Before that had a GTI for 5 years and no issues with that one either. 2L fours with turbos are solid engines and proven tech. Agree it’s more complex than straight V6 but that doesn’t mean it’s going to fall apart on you. Both are good engines — but I think the turbo is better. IMHO.

Sulo

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
smh....sigh. Getting my popcorn.....Would like to hear from 2.0 owners if they have any regret......
I know I already posted, but I do have to say now that I am done "babying" my JLU 2.0 Turbo. This thing hauls ass! Quite a nice surprise to feel the power at 6500 ft elevation...

HAPPY TRAILS!

Sponsored

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
I know I already posted, but I do have to say now that I am done "babying" my JLU 2.0 Turbo. This thing hauls ass! Quite a nice surprise to feel the power at 6500 ft elevation...

HAPPY TRAILS!
That's awesome and also true. I finally picked up my Mojito! 2.0 on Dec 27th and am still going thru the break in process but I do have to catch myself from really kicking in the turbo. Looking forward to getting past the break in. We're over 7,000 ft here outside the Springs....

KRAWL AMERICA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
No regrets at all! We love the shear power and great gas mileage of the 2.0. We do turn off the start/stop feature most of the time. For us does not seem to effect gas mileage by doing so.

singaporeIrish1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR; 2021 Ram TRX; 2020 Supra
Now one month/900 miles in on a 2019 2.0L and 4 months/3,200 miles on a 2018 3.6L. Owned lots of Jeeps and multiple 3.6L's ... but have to say that I prefer the daily driving of the 2.0L. Like the responsiveness and punch. Live in central Illinois where we've had back-to-back weekends of 13" and 5" of snow. Pulled a Cadillac CTS from a ditch using the 2.0L ... no issues, no difference to the 3.6. The only thing I would change would be the sound/tone of the 4 cylinder. Looking / listening to some muffler solutions to see if that provides any remedy. Happy with the 2.0 ... Its the one I choose to drive and I'm an old school Jeep guy.
IMG_1735.jpg

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
Can't wait to get mine. It's on the way. I sold my 2018 3.6l 2-dr for my 2019 2.0t 2-dr and have 0 concerns or regrets. I love turbocharged engines.

WhyUMad

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Worst case, you can always drop a hemi in it if the 2.0L blows up. ;)

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Your profile name says Engineer, does that mean you are a PE or railroad engineer? If the former you will get torn apart on this board trying to make any engineering statements as many here view engineers as idiots that don't know how to do anything.

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBI 2dr 2.0t, 2014 CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK
I love my 2.0t in 18 JL 2 door Rubi. 450 miles of Pure Joy. I am 68 y/o and having a second childhood I guess. With the 8 speed and short wheel base, this JL Jeep just makes me smile.
v/r rch

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Nobody has had one long enough to regret it. But they will....

Does anybody even look at what they're buying anymore? The 2.0L has coolant lines running to the rear of the vehicle to help keep that eTorque hardware from catching fire. Jeep Informant just showed a video where a brand new delivery was leaking coolant back there. Ridiculous. That's going to be a constant maintenance item. And all that wiring for the 48v system. And a coolant bottle you can't read without pulling a dipstick? Replacing plugs every 30k? Premium fuel? Induction system cleanings periodically to remove the carbon buildup from the direct fuel injection? What happens when you need to replace a turbo or BSG unit out of warranty? Thousands of bucks. And that's after you spend $1,000 for the option up front, plus $2,000 for the default automatic transmission upgrade you are forced into.

And all of this for slightly more torque and slightly less horsepower, netting an overall similar performance ratio.

Seems like a terrible trade-off to me.

Don't forget about replacing the 48v battery ($2500) every 3-5 years... its not covered under any warranty…. 3.6 = lifetime warranty..

I have a 3.6 and I have been driving a 2.0 as a loaner for a while (death wobble) .. sure the extra low end torque in the 2.0 is a nice add.. but the power Is only between 2k-5k... the 3.6 pulls from 2k- 7k... lots more rpm range, less shifting..

from my view the difference is very minor on "peak - narrow" performance... but lots of additional complexity - wires - pipes...

This is typical MPG Corp game on regulations...

FYI: 3.6 is getting 17MPG, 2.0 18MPG in my driving terrain - style...

Hope my experience helps inform... not meant to trash 2.0 folks...

thanks for posting...

TC

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Ok, I'll bite. I have a 2018 Audi TT RS, I've put over 20,000 miles on it. Turbocharged I5 (not a typo) 2.5 liter, with ~450 crank HP. Drive it hard, all the time, there's a road course near me I drive full out at. I can't even count the number of brakes I've been through, nor tires. Not a single issue. Barely burns any oil. This engine is far more complex, it's direct and port injected, and running significantly more power than anything you'd see in the 2L in the Jeep. It's being driven _far_ harder than anything or anybody would do with a Jeep. I just change the oil every 3000 miles since I'm on an 'extreme usage' pattern, and swap consumables as I need to. Just having less displacement and a turbocharger doesn't suddenly make everything terrible.

There's a lot of "it's so complex!" or "I wouldn't trust it!" here, and none if it makes any sense. All modern engines are extremely complex, but the ECUs are also insanely good. They can compensate for just about anything to keep the engine healthy. We need to move beyond the "it's new, it must be bad" mentality. Turbochargers have been around a really long time, the turbo issues of the 90s and early 00s are long-since eradicated. Lag, maintenance issues, failures, etc - these are solved problems. You're going to be hard pressed not to find 4 cylinder turbo vehicles soon, until the EVs take over completely. Less cylinders, less friction, more efficiency. More complete combustion, higher compression via forced induction and other such methods, less emissions, etc.

the battery - BSG does.... the tubes exposed to rocks do... its more about things "are" going wrong on the trail.. when you get on your back and look underneath… it is very clear which one will take more abuse... less rubber- plastic-tubes = less things to go wrong.. ie.. look how much rubber and plastic is in an iPhone... not much... Jeep has a ways to go... 2.0 is just a regulation play.. not a respond to customer interest..
Sponsored