Sponsored

Anyone had an issue with the 'passive entry' only working itermittently on one door?

crackofdawn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Xtreme Recon
It feels like one issue after another with this jeep. 4350 miles, only had it 6 months, already had it in for warranty like 4 times. As of yesterday the driver door 'passive entry' (the auto unlock when you put your hand in the handle and the button to lock the doors) doesn't work at all or works itermittently. Sometimes when I push the button to lock it will lock after a 3 second delay, sometimes it wont work at all. Putting hand in the handle to unlock the door doesn't seem to work at all. Passenger door works fine (both button and auto unlock). Buttons on inside of driver door work fine.

My dealer is a 1 hour round trip and I'm getting sick of having to take the vehicle in constantly for repairs and am tempted to sell it at this point as the stress of constantly having to deal with issues on a brand new vehicle is insane.
Sponsored

Skrumpcious

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mirage
I've found that when my wrangler is dirty it barely works for me, but after washing it it'll start to work like normal again.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Mine works 19 out of 20 times. The other 1 out of 20 I just consider a "Jeep thing."

OP
OP
crackofdawn

crackofdawn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My jeep is clean at the moment and the issue started randomly yesterday, never had a problem before, and it basically doesn't work 19 out of 20 times (but only on the driver door)

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
15 months and 24K miles and zero issues with this feature. I did find that when pressing the button to lock make sure your hand isn't on the door handle or I think it gets confused on what you are trying to do.

Sponsored

LostinBigBear

First Name
Sunshine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler JL
Also, be sure your FOB and cell phone aren’t next to each other in a pocket or handbag while using the passive entry. Once I figured that out, my PE works on all doors 100% of the time.

npj01

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Moab
I’ve only ever had issues with PE when I’ve had the FOB in my pocket behind my cell phone or when the FOB battery was low. If you use the same FOB all the time try the other one and if it works all the time replace the battery.

EarlGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X
Also, be sure your FOB and cell phone aren’t next to each other in a pocket or handbag while using the passive entry. Once I figured that out, my PE works on all doors 100% of the time.
Yes! I just figured this one out yesterday!

JerseyJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep wrangler rubicon extreme recon
Do not put your hand around the handle to push the button to lock! Just push the button with your finger.

OP
OP
crackofdawn

crackofdawn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the advice guys but I don't think any of it applies. First, the jeep only has 4000 miles on it, both the unlock *and* the lock function have an issue (and I'm not putting my hand inside when pressing lock). This *only* happens with the driver side door, passenger side works 100% of the time with the same key. I've been using this feature 3x a day every day for the 8 months I've had the vehicle and it worked fine 100% of the time until 2 days ago when it basically stopped entirely (nothing special happened, I took the vehicle downtown and parked, when I got back the handle just wasn't working and hasn't really worked since other than very randomly it will work with a long delay).

I've never had my key in the same pocket as my cell phone and the same 3 things are in my pockets that have been in my pockets every day for the last 20 years - cell phone in left pocket, key and wallet in right pocket. Nothing has changed there in decades.

I'll give the jeep a pressure wash just to see if that somehow resolves the issue but I guess if not it's another trip to the dealer.

Sponsored

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
Check the connection at the door. Especially if you’ve had the doors off.

OP
OP
crackofdawn

crackofdawn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Never had the doors off but I suppose I can check
Sponsored