Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
Whatever you do, don't drink the water!
We call it “deserts finest”. But seriously 29 Palms and yucca valley are great areas with some good food and cool folks. And it’s close to some of the best wheelin around in Johnson valley, Cougar buttes, Stoddard and Calico are just a little further…….
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone go Jeeping Alone? 0880A0D3-683F-4847-9642-0283CD5E9FE7
Sponsored

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
YEP!

The ultimate Alone trail: Took me 12 mo to do it. Vietnam 67-68. A hand full of soldiers were selected to drive a Jeep on, ON the battlefield. I had a Jeep, M151A2 HD suspension, a multimillion-candle power searchlight and a 90,000 v genset under the hood.

Your mission if you choose to accept it is link up with various combat unit out in the field and search for the enemy and when found contact the Infantry unit you were assigned to for this operation. (I was with a different unit almost every 2 weeks.) My area of operations was The DMZ and I Corp which is just below the DMZ.

We were supposed to work in 2 man teams, but due to the massive amount of volunteers to do something this STUPID I was alone about 90% of the time. M 16 in one hand and a Searchlight in another.

Since this is a Jeep forum you appreciate the following Lone Trip Report.

And I'm speedin' into a Grass Hut Sunrise

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone go Jeeping Alone? 0880A0D3-683F-4847-9642-0283CD5E9FE7

I Corps?

Semper Fi

👍

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
as much as i can.
some of my best times ever have been when i was out for so long that the sound of my own voice startled me when i returned to civilization. i believe being truly solo is good for the soul. highly recommended.
that said, nowadays i'm more likely to have one of the Dutch Shepards with me. road (or off-road) tripping with a dog seems to be just what J**ps were made for.

aside from all the expected being prepared for everything that you reasonably can and keeping all your stuff in good condition, just avoid the biggest cause of trouble (being stupid) and you'll probably be more than fine. there's always the possibility of a mechanical failure, but that's part of the risk, and part of what we accept the need to be prepared for.

I realize at the Adventure Academy and most organized places they say never go alone. That being said, we're not new to this and regularly go on 7-9 trails when we are in a group. We have all the gear, winch, etc. but sometimes want to go to Gulches in SC or Uwharrie in NC on a whim where we couldn't find anyone to go with. I've thought about going and just meet some people, but that's not guaranteed. Any of you done trails alone?

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I Corps?

Semper Fi

👍
My ONLY REGRET in LIFE is that my Army career was NOT served as a USMC. I was on Operation Pegasus (1st Cav( in April of 68, when into Khe San...OMG, that is where my RESPECT for the USMC came from, never forgot what saw and what you guys thru.

Lightguy

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Xtreme Recon Sting Grey
This same question in the correct Off-Road Talk: Technique, Planning, Trails : How far out there do you feel comfortable going solo?

Most ppl get more conservative as they age. I bought a TJR so don't need to wheel solo (defined as one rig). I've read too many JL catastrophic breakdown reports on this forum. Both our rigs have a 12K superwinch.

All those that say they have a winch, haven't you ever wheeled where you're sometimes out of a winch anchor point?

Used my Inreach 2 months ago to send for the calvary when we had a bad roll over and needed help. The help saved many folks from spending the night in the woods, unplanned. The big less I learned was send practice texts to those who can help you. 9/10 ppl deleted the text as InReach texts look just like a phishing attempt. The one person posted to FB. Even though it had our exact coordinates, the 3 folks who came to help went to the wrong place. Seems they didn't trust the coordinates and ass-umed we were at another more likely spot.

So now I do practice texts when we're out of cell range.

Not nearly as reliable in trees as sending texts with something like InReach.

IMAO, spotting take much more talent and skill than slowly crawling through a tough line. My wife always drives and I spot.

Recovering all the Sports and occasional Ruby is the most fun. Breaks not so much. I'm with you on the beer drinkers, the more beers, the more reckless they get.
Best advice ever! Try it before you need it! Nothing like learning how a tool works in a panic or under stress. As well as making sure people on the other end understand it. With tech we too often think we how to use it or that it works just like what we use regularly, not a great plan when you need help. Bonus tip you pointed out - make sure the people you are reaching out to recognize/understand your message.

Reactions: J0E

Sponsored

CodeRed

First Name
richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'75 chevy pick up 4x4, '09 997.1 turbo MT coupe

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
I'm in 29 Palms just about every other weekend, lets meet up sometime!
My Jeep gets a lift next week but you can bet I wanna go wheelin right afterwards! Next weekend hopefully
Ive done a good portion of those trails and they are VERY remote and amazing! Half of the time I’ve wheeled there fighter jets came out of nowhere and it was awesome! Dupont road is the highlight in my opinion, would love to run it again one of these days 🤙🏽
Here’s a map of the current trails there for reference

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone go Jeeping Alone? AB10D9ED-B52E-4AB4-A71F-D17CCF0C0152

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
Reactions: J0E

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have been soloing since my CJ7 days in the late 80’s. I like to wander, just exploring random dirt roads. I’m still doing 95% solo wheeling and don’t plan on changing my lifestyle. I’m prepared when I go, Confident I won’t die in the middle of nowhere.

Sponsored

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
My husband and I love going out alone, like we used to back in the 70's with our 1977 Toyota Landcruiser. Go at our own pace, there isn't someone behind us that really wants to first pushing us along.

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Thanks to the 'Likes" on my post 99.

But kinda surprised no one seemed to have picked up on the words to a song that I modified to go along with my experience on being alone.

Am I the only one old enough to remember???

tumbleweedsbns

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
IMHO there are pros and cons to wheeling alone. I completely understand the reasoning to many saying one shouldn’t wheel alone. Safety, recovery, and having friends there to spot you or take video/pictures. But there is also benefit of going alone. One learns self-recovery self-reliance. Besides when was the last time you went out with a big group? Always someone late or showing up with a POS you know will break down and everyone will be stopped for a while fixing their crap.
We typically head out wheeling alone. At the trailhead we try to link up with others while airing down. If no one shows up we take off alone. If we run across others we help or they help.

LEDS

First Name
Leif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 WRANGLER RUBICON UNLIMITED, 2023 Rubicon 392
I mostly drive off road in Baja, where tow trucks are few and far between, and cell service can be non-existent. I don't drive alone any farther than I would want to walk back out. I have never gotten stuck, but there are a lot of other things that can keep you from making it back out. I always carry an in-reach in Baja and Alaska.
Sponsored