Anyone go Jeeping Alone?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Same (In Charlotte), I went solo to Uwharrie last year probably a dozen times. I would really like going with a small group this year.

I think we should exchange info / create a Uwharrie group chat.
If y'all jump in the NC Roll Call thread I linked earlier, you can plan it in there and get some more involvement.
Sponsored

NChap89

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
If y'all jump in the NC Roll Call thread I linked earlier, you can plan it in there and get some more involvement.
Done. Good point.

TheAmericanB

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR XR
Same (In Charlotte), I went solo to Uwharrie last year probably a dozen times. I would really like going with a small group this year.

I think we should exchange info / create a Uwharrie group chat.
I’m in! Also in Charlotte. I don’t really know many people on the forum or others here local but send me a PM and maybe we can start a little group!

NChap89

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I’m in! Also in Charlotte. I don’t really know many people on the forum or others here local but send me a PM and maybe we can start a little group!
messaged you.

Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I'm with you on the beer drinkers, the more beers, the more reckless they get.
Yeah I don't think that there is anything I mentioned that I'm directly opposed to. It's more about the context of doing those things while doing the Jeep thing, or in the case of breaking or getting stuck it's the frequency and manner in which it's done. In Moab, a friend of a friend went through an obstacle then said something like "oh I could do that better" then goes back to do it again. Seems like his only plan was "MORR FASTR!!" so it was no surprise when he broke his heep. So now instead of enjoying the rest of the day running trails like I had planned, and spent a good chunk of money for, we're doing a trail repair then limping his shit off the trail and figuring out how to tow it back to Colorado. I just felt it was rude because by being an idiot he purposely broke his shit and now the trip is about him rather than what the group wanted to be doing.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Yeah I don't think that there is anything I mentioned that I'm directly opposed to. It's more about the context of doing those things while doing the Jeep thing, or in the case of breaking or getting stuck it's the frequency and manner in which it's done. In Moab, a friend of a friend went through an obstacle then said something like "oh I could do that better" then goes back to do it again. Seems like his only plan was "MORR FASTR!!" so it was no surprise when he broke his heep. So now instead of enjoying the rest of the day running trails like I had planned, and spent a good chunk of money for, we're doing a trail repair then limping his shit off the trail and figuring out how to tow it back to Colorado. I just felt it was rude because by being an idiot he purposely broke his shit and now the trip is about him rather than what the group wanted to be doing.
Stories like these remind me why we mostly wheel alone. Too nice to ditch people, spent years being the trail mechanic for friends and relatives we wheeled with. So much more relaxing to cruise 1,100 miles out to Moab with the wife in our properly built/maintained/equipped Jeep, stop when we want, eat when/ where we want, run the trails we want when we want, and leave to come home when we want. We do enjoy our liquid refreshments on the trails, but never in excess, save that for camp if you're so inclined.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I love wheeling alone. In fact, I love it so much I sometimes get groups of people together who also love wheeling alone and we wheel alone together.

If anyone here on the forums also enjoys wheeling alone and lives in SoCal near Lucerne Valley or the Mojave, feel free to send me a DM and we can set up a group to go wheel alone!

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I generally prefer to wheel alone. I used to have a group I went with but over the years they all grew up, got rid of their toys and now drive street cars. I've had a difficult time finding a new group that's the same speed as me. Some seem intent on breaking things or getting stuck, neither which is my idea of fun. Others groups I've been with it seems as though they're stopping every 100 yards for yet another group photo. Some want to race through the trail, others want to do the two hour hikes midway through. Some want to shoot guns, others want to drink beer, a third set like to do both simultaneously. So in general, I go alone now, do what I want as I want rather than having to follow the group's idea of fun.
YEP!

I am a loner albeit I did lead runs and my rules, don't play by my rules you left on the trail. Some rules, 1 Beer with lunch, NO MORE. No drinking while driving. NO ONE Winches anyone I do all the winching. Do not bypass anyone on the run, there are no more than 8 of us + me, and it's not a race. Want to stop and look at a feature Yes if we all agree, No if we do not all agree.

So for relaxation, I wheel alone. I have don Pritchett Canyon in both directions alone, the Rubicon trail, Death Valley, Johnson Valley and Europe, Asia and most of my 55 years Jeeping has been alone.

The ultimate Alone trail: Took me 12 mo to do it. Vietnam 67-68. A hand full of soldiers were selected to drive a Jeep on, ON the battlefield. I had a Jeep, M151A2 HD suspension, a multimillion-candle power searchlight and a 90,000 v genset under the hood.

Your mission if you choose to accept it is link up with various combat unit out in the field and search for the enemy and when found contact the Infantry unit you were assigned to for this operation. (I was with a different unit almost every 2 weeks.) My area of operations was The DMZ and I Corp which is just below the DMZ.

We were supposed to work in 2 man teams, but due to the massive amount of volunteers to do something this STUPID I was alone about 90% of the time. M 16 in one hand and a Searchlight in another.

Since this is a Jeep forum you appreciate the following Lone Trip Report.

I was on the way to LZ Betty just shy of the DMZ and I had to pass thru Quang Tri City. What I did not know was that morning the City had been overrun by the 12th NVA Regiment about 750 NVA soldiers now occupied the city. The Vietnam soldiers that were there to guard the city left as usual.

I entered the City on the N side and noted how quiet it was, not a soul on the streets, I drove thru and exited on the hwy going South to the DMZ.

I drove up on a LOT of soldiers marching down the road, in the SAME direction I was driving (this is KEY!). I look over and think they are the Good guys there to guard the city, I wave and smile then note their uniforms are not what I expected. They are on both sides of the road, (this KEY!) and about 750 of them all bad guys. The hwy I am on is SHIT CREEK and there ain't no paddle!

I've been drivin' all day, my hands wet on the wheel
There's a voice in my head that drives my heel
It's LZ Betty callin', sayin', "I need you here"
And it's a half past four and I'm shiftin' gears

I left my Corvette back home and this ain't no JLR 392 XR, no sirree Bob I grab second gear and nail the go pedal to the firewall as I slump down as low as I can go barely seeing over the Jeep. By now I have caught their attention and noted on the left a soldier coming up with his AK 47 and suddenly another soldier slams his arm down on as he fires, the bullet hit the dirt and not me.

They are looking at me on both sides or the road, how close are they? Not more than 10 ft away on either side. I now figured out they are not going to shoot, why, shoot at me and miss and you just killed your buddy on the other side of the road.

I can only imagine, what the hell are they thinking, is this for real or a mirage?

No more speed, I'm almost there
Gotta keep cool, now gotta take care
Last solider to pass, here I go
And the line of soldiers go down real slow,

I squirt out past that line of soldiers like a Christmas Goose with diarrhea running away from a farmer with an axe. Thinking all is well, only it's not. Up ahead is a 90-degree right, then a short stretch and a 90-degree left, and then on the way to Ms. Betty. Only coming around the Left 90 degrees is another unit of NVA, my guess is a Company sized element of about 175 soldiers and I can tell they rushing to meet me.

Then I notice the very short bridge over a ditch in the first 90-degree right turn, there is a makeshift road going into a few straw huts in the middle of the rice paddies. I PRAY that the road hooks up with the hwy past the second 90-degree Left turn, if it does I am gonna make it.

My mind is playin' some forgotten song
Brenda Lee's "Coming On Strong"
The road has got me hypnotized
And I'm speedin' into a Grass Hut Sunrise

I hit the first 90-degree and slide onto the dirt wanna-be road. There are about 4 or so huts and the road looks like a snake as my Jeep bobs and weaves to get thru. I am going fast the Jeep is not my Corvette back home first hut I take the corner and drive thru the dining room of the family eating supper they are not happy since they don't offer me a take-out bag. I clip a fat pig and ruffle some chickens and finally see the road goes and bends to the right taking me back to the Hwy south of the second 90-degree left

When I drive lonely and I'm sure I've had enough
Ms Betty sends her comfort coming in from above
We don't need no letter at all

I roll into Ms Betty and drive over to my unit and check-in. The Commander is glad I am there. He says the Intel brief says there is NVA in the area where we are going. I said, Sir, I don't think so I believe they hanging out by hanging in over in Quang Tri City. He says I sure hope you are right! Trust me Sir I had an Intel brief about an hour ago and that was the status! Great, how was your day? Nothing short of a miracle Sir! GOOD.

It was a quiet night as I searched the battlefield and every hour on the hour I turned in a SITREP (Situation Report) "Nothing to see here Sir!"

This is really where I learned about being a loner in a Jeep. Since then I do mostly alone, 'cause I know I am going to come out in my Jeep alive...

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone go Jeeping Alone? R2-02618-0007

Last edited:

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
I dont mind going out places alone, but I am not intentionally going anywhere that is too crazy, either. Regardless of if I am solo or with a group, I always have survival gear that is appropriate for location and time of year, self recovery tools, food/water, and a way to communicate. I also make sure someone at home knows the general vicinity of where I will be going if I am overdue.

Sponsored

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
Alone but try to get on group rides when possible (like at EJS).

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
I love wheeling alone. In fact, I love it so much I sometimes get groups of people together who also love wheeling alone and we wheel alone together.

If anyone here on the forums also enjoys wheeling alone and lives in SoCal near Lucerne Valley or the Mojave, feel free to send me a DM and we can set up a group to go wheel alone!
I wheel alone at Cougar buttes a lot!
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone go Jeeping Alone? 4C396B52-476A-48A9-96BC-13949FDBEEF9

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
I generally prefer to wheel alone. I used to have a group I went with but over the years they all grew up, got rid of their toys and now drive street cars. I've had a difficult time finding a new group that's the same speed as me. Some seem intent on breaking things or getting stuck, neither which is my idea of fun. Others groups I've been with it seems as though they're stopping every 100 yards for yet another group photo. Some want to race through the trail, others want to do the two hour hikes midway through. Some want to shoot guns, others want to drink beer, a third set like to do both simultaneously. So in general, I go alone now, do what I want as I want rather than having to follow the group's idea of fun.
Pretty much exactly how I feel 🤷🏽‍♂️

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I'm in 29 Palms just about every other weekend, lets meet up sometime!
Whatever you do, don't drink the water!
Sponsored