Sponsored

Anyone go Jeeping Alone?

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
Most people I know who own a 4-wheel drive don't ever go 4 wheeling with it. And for most of my career weekends have been shot from having to work. So, 90% of the time I go four wheeling solo. And I don't necessarily mean by myself. My wife likes to go wherever I go, but it is usually just our vehicle. After a few decades you get to where you have the necessary recovery equipment, and you are able to get out of a potentially bad situation. This is a picture from two weeks ago, my wife and I got to use the winch. She doesn't even get excited about this anymore.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone go Jeeping Alone? 392 Elbow Canyon
Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
my only concern would be an unexpected catastrophic failure... like a sudden failure of the electronics that control the transmission.. I guess my take would be.. heck.. if I am going to ride solo at this certain location, and the worst happens... do I have a plan to survive? do I have a plan to be rescued?.. fortunately technologies like Garmin InReach make bad situations more survivable .. keep in mind that is not only mechanical failures that put you at risk... but that Burrito laced with Salmonella that you ate a couple of hours ago... LOL

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Yes. Costs $15/mo for the basic plan. Allows you to contact family/friends/help from pretty much anywhere.
Does Sirius XM Guardian have any features that provide anything close to that? I balked at the price of renewal, but you just had me thinking that the price isn't thatttt far off (with some other Jeep specific features) if it could be used in a similar way

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Deserteagle56
Have you done the road from Jackpot to Montello recently? Biggest elk I have ever seen jumped out in front of us and looked DOWN into our windshield somewhere on that road.
Not in a couple years now. But yes, that's a very popular elk hunting area. And, the Nevada Division of Wildlife is now saying there's over a hundred moose living in the higher mountains there.
Got a pic of these beauties in June in the mountains north of Winnemucca, Nevada:
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone go Jeeping Alone? P1040013ecrtbn6-18-22

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Most of the time it's just me and current GF...But, I have a winch, recovery gear, a well equipped rig, experience, take plenty of water, food, emergency kit and plenty of ammo...just in case :)

ArmyRN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ2A, 1998 Jeep TJ, 2023 Willys JLU
my only concern would be an unexpected catastrophic failure... like a sudden failure of the electronics that control the transmission.. I guess my take would be.. heck.. if I am going to ride solo at this certain location, and the worst happens... do I have a plan to survive? do I have a plan to be rescued?.. fortunately technologies like Garmin InReach make bad situations more survivable .. keep in mind that is not only mechanical failures that put you at risk... but that Burrito laced with Salmonella that you ate a couple of hours ago... LOL
Catastrophic failures happen. I attended a four-wheeling event in CA (WFF Jan 2023) and was driving home to SW WA. Fortunately I had gotten to the highway before my TJ's engine imploded (and I was still 450 miles from home). Was towed to a place to spend the night, then rented a U-Haul to flat tow the Jeep home. Have a rebuilt engine on order, and a shop lined up to install it.

(And I have a 2023 JLU Willys 2.0T XR on order - should be here sometime in February).

This past summer I was overlanding with this Jeep (with a group) in the middle of nowhere. Would have been a lonnnnng walk to where there might have been someone driving by if I had been solo and this happened. Would they stop? Would they have bad intentions if they did stop? If I had left the Jeep way out in the middle of nowhere when I went to walk out, would it still be there, and in one piece when I finally got back to it?

Four-wheeling in an off-road park by yourself is one thing. Going way remote (like overlanding) by yourself is another thing. I've done it in the past, didn't feel safe, probably won't do it again.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone go Jeeping Alone? Jeep broken.1

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone go Jeeping Alone? Jeep broken.2

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Catastrophic failures happen. I attended a four-wheeling event in CA (WFF Jan 2023) and was driving home to SW WA. Fortunately I had gotten to the highway before my TJ's engine imploded (and I was still 450 miles from home). Was towed to a place to spend the night, then rented a U-Haul to flat tow the Jeep home. Have a rebuilt engine on order, and a shop lined up to install it.

(And I have a 2023 JLU Willys 2.0T XR on order - should be here sometime in February).

This past summer I was overlanding with this Jeep (with a group) in the middle of nowhere. Would have been a lonnnnng walk to where there might have been someone driving by if I had been solo and this happened. Would they stop? Would they have bad intentions if they did stop? If I had left the Jeep way out in the middle of nowhere when I went to walk out, would it still be there, and in one piece when I finally got back to it?

Four-wheeling in an off-road park by yourself is one thing. Going way remote (like overlanding) by yourself is another thing. I've done it in the past, didn't feel safe, probably won't do it again.

LTJ! Okay I will spell it out for those that are a few bricks short. Love That Jeep. TJ’s rock.

Sponsored

Go4Low

First Name
Jorel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Sometimes I like wheeling alone, but most often it's like deciding to go to the store by yourself, truth is, you'll run into other folks out there especially on the weekends.

I believe in over building the rig.

Food and water for a number of days....trail shoes in case I need to walk.

I stay away from mud and keep things clean as possible.

I carry dedicated tool. I'll occasionally use those tools at home to do maintenance, like being able to reach all suspension nuts/bolts. If I have to get something from my garage to complete a simple task I consider adding it to my trail kit.

I carry parts: Hydraulic plugs, fan belt, fuses, rod ends, additional winch line, 2x snatch blocks...etc

Share live location.

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
I hit Uwharrie almost exclusively alone. Its generally a day trip for the wife and me to get away and the few times we have gone in a group in years past it was meh at best. But those guys were more about stopping every chance and get awesome pictures for the gram so hopefully this year coming up with some fellow members here we will have a different experience.

OP
OP

mdamaso

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU
Anyone go Jeeping Alone?

My wife and I Jeep alone almost all the time. With that being said, you should never Jeep alone!
Yeah, it'd be me and my wife as well. We usually take turns being the spotter when needed, just so we can both have fun.
Sponsored