Anyone go Jeeping Alone?

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I go it alone often, but I'll usually make it a point to stay close enough to civilization that I can walk there within a day or so should the need arise. Thankfully it hasn't.

I still highly recommend not venturing out solo to anyone that doesn't have much experience yet.
Sponsored

rdfact

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURXR, '01 WJ
I do out alone quite often near my house, lots of BLM land in the Nevada desert. In the dry summer there is nothing too difficult that will get you stuck, lots of shelf roads however. In the winter snow and mud can certainly get you stuck. And the NV desert has a lack of trees to winch to. I got stuck last week in the snow in my WJ but I just aired down more, backed down the hill a little and got some momentum.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Lol. All. The. Time.

Just make sure you have an InReach and can afford the cost of a tow, if it comes to that.

People deny themselves a LOT of adventures due to this supposed “rule.”

I prefer adventuring with friends and family, but love going solo too. And if I die out there alone, don’t shed a single tear for me. I’ve had a really good run.
Haven't heard of InReach before, is that Garmin InReach satellite communication?

Sponsored

Grayhound

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlurd
I’m a lone wheeler. I ask everyone I know with a 4x4 and find most people think they look cool but never point them toward dirt.
I take trails way below what I know I can do, and hit up off road parks as well. Sometimes I find myself being the heaviest vehicle in the park so I take it real easy around mud as no one can yank me out.
I’m also the 1st to sign up for events so I can try harder lines with possible help around.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just make sure you have all the essential and more

Food and water, blankets, first aid, flash lights, cb radio, recover gear/tools, let someone know where your going and what time you'll be back, even tell them you'll check in with them in a certain time if not something happened

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
At least once a week.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Lol. All. The. Time.

Just make sure you have an InReach and can afford the cost of a tow, if it comes to that.

People deny themselves a LOT of adventures due to this supposed “rule.”

I prefer adventuring with friends and family, but love going solo too. And if I die out there alone, don’t shed a single tear for me. I’ve had a really good run.
10000%. Life is short, go on solo trips if it comes to it. If you're going somewhere popular, there's bound to be rigs. Just be prepared with an Inreach, winch, and recovery gear at bare minimum. And carry extra control arm bolts.

I love wheeling with a couple friends but some of my favorite trips have been solo. Sandstone Canyon in Anza Borrego, John Bull in big bear, spent a week in Sand Hollow Utah, hell I've been to Moab solo and ran Hell's Revenge, Fins and things, and Poison Spider while passing through on the way back from a work trip. I often hit local trails solo too. It is what it is, you just have to know what you're getting yourself into and have a way to fix common issues, recover yourself, and use an Inreach for emergency comms.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I go solo very often. It's not necessarily dangerous if you are prepared and make appropriate choices.
  • Assume self-recovery only. Have recovery gear including HiLift hand winch accessories in case your mounted winch isn't positioned in a helpful way. Taking vehicle recovery classes is very helpful and learn how to be creative.
  • Adjust your risk tolerance accordingly. When solo you should avoid unnecessary risks, always take the easiest/safest line. Be willing to abort plans as soon as they exceed risk tolerance. The only hero is the one who makes it back.
  • Carry a satellite phone or emergency satellite communication device such as InReach if there is any possibility of losing cell service. This is in addition to a radio.
  • Meticulously inspect and maintain your Jeep. Breakdowns must be avoided as you are very dependent upon the functionality of that vehicle.

Sponsored

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Yep, all the time. I’ve rolled solo each time I’ve been to Uwharrie and Windrock. With that said I have a winch, recovery gear, onboard air, tire puncture kit + a full size spare and an overkill assortment of tools every time I go wheeling. I will get my Jeep back to pavement if I break it 🤣

I love to go to Uwharrie, another poster also said it but if you’re looking for company let me know. I usually run the harder D trails only but occasionally do the loop trails as well.

link3721

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon 4xe High Velocity
You just have to be prepared if going alone. I've done plenty with just one rig carrying two people. Be able to self recover and being conservative with the difficulty and knowing what you can take on is the important part.

I'm also counting down the days till Uwharrie opens back up... Gotta revisit the mud hole in my avatar.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
You just have to be prepared if going alone. I've done plenty with just one rig carrying two people. Be able to self recover and being conservative with the difficulty and knowing what you can take on is the important part.

I'm also counting down the days till Uwharrie opens back up... Gotta revisit the mud hole in my avatar.
Need to get a forum group ride set up at Uwharrie this April when it opens back up!

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
Yep. Usually go solo. I also go with a group of close friends somewhere far away every year and like clockwork, one of the wives (different one each time) will COMPLETELY lose her shit for whatever reason halfway up a mountain, insult the group, make an ass out of herself and demand her pw husband take her back to camp.
That is the point where THEY begin their solo venture back down.

I recommend solo. Wheeling alone creates self-reliance and builds self confidence. It forces one to make better decisions, choose the best lines and makes for great personal memories.
Plus there's no one there to ruin the experience or make fun of you when you chicken out or do something stupid. 😂

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
We do, but the mindset while solo is COMPLETELY different.
Sponsored