Anyone go Jeeping Alone?

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Beats that ISAT Deal, Ive been close to getting that one for a few months now. They were recommended to me by a guy who uses his for business who has allot higher plan with more minutes for international travel. All I want one for is the subject matter at hand.
Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

This is sad, but I am better off without my wife spotting. She does not know left from right, driver or passenger, or 1 inch from 1 foot.
If I can ever train my wife to stand where she can see my side view mirror that is half the battle.

The other thing I still have to work on is getting her hands to represent how much room I have and to slowly move them together. For some reason her hands slowly move together and then all of the sudden when they are about 18in apart she claps them. WTF? :facepalm:

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I generally prefer to wheel alone. I used to have a group I went with but over the years they all grew up, got rid of their toys and now drive street cars. I've had a difficult time finding a new group that's the same speed as me. Some seem intent on breaking things or getting stuck, neither which is my idea of fun. Others groups I've been with it seems as though they're stopping every 100 yards for yet another group photo. Some want to race through the trail, others want to do the two hour hikes midway through. Some want to shoot guns, others want to drink beer, a third set like to do both simultaneously. So in general, I go alone now, do what I want as I want rather than having to follow the group's idea of fun.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I would probably go with a Garmin Inreach mini. $399 + $15/month.
I got one a couple of years ago on sale for $250.
I get the cheapest plan which is about $25 a year plus $15 per month. With this plan you can turn it on or off if you aren't going to be using it for a couple of months. They also off an optional insurance plan that will cover search and recovery costs.
When I'm on a trail I set the Garmin to send tracking points every 30 minutes, my wife can log into their website and see where I'm at on the map. When I was truly by myself I would carry it with me every time I left the vehicle. If I stay in one place too long during the day she might wonder if I fell off of a cliff. At the end of the day when I'm ready to camp I send an all clear message. The Garmin doesn't have voice communication but allows sending text messages back and forth. In some plans the text messages and tracking points are free, in the lower priced plans there is a small cost each.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I got one a couple of years ago on sale for $250.
I get the cheapest plan which is about $25 a year plus $15 per month. With this plan you can turn it on or off if you aren't going to be using it for a couple of months. They also off an optional insurance plan that will cover search and recovery costs.
When I'm on a trail I set the Garmin to send tracking points every 30 minutes, my wife can log into their website and see where I'm at on the map. When I was truly by myself I would carry it with me every time I left the vehicle. If I stay in one place too long during the day she might wonder if I fell off of a cliff. At the end of the day when I'm ready to camp I send an all clear message. The Garmin doesn't have voice communication but allows sending text messages back and forth. In some plans the text messages and tracking points are free, in the lower priced plans there is a small cost each.
I just bought a new GPS system for the bird dog. I opted to get the Garmin Alpha 200i over the 200, for $50 more it comes with a built in Inreach system. So it will do dual duty; hunting and jeeping emergencies. I sold my 10 year old Alpha 100 system.

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
My daughter has rigged up her Grand Cherokee so she can go camping by herself and sleep in the back and she was planning to go into the mountains this coming weekend for a test, the cold snowy mountains. My wife thought I should discourage her.
We raised our four kids to be strong and independent. Not that I don’t worry but damn the some of the things they have done. Yes babe, I’ve expressed our concern as you vicariously wish you were doing the same.

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Wheeling alone is like drinking alone:

We shouldn’t be doing it, but we do it on occasion. :beer:
Or when others aren’t around.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
This same question in the correct Off-Road Talk: Technique, Planning, Trails : How far out there do you feel comfortable going solo?

Most ppl get more conservative as they age. I bought a TJR so don't need to wheel solo (defined as one rig). I've read too many JL catastrophic breakdown reports on this forum. Both our rigs have a 12K superwinch.

All those that say they have a winch, haven't you ever wheeled where you're sometimes out of a winch anchor point?

Used my Inreach 2 months ago to send for the calvary when we had a bad roll over and needed help. The help saved many folks from spending the night in the woods, unplanned. The big less I learned was send practice texts to those who can help you. 9/10 ppl deleted the text as InReach texts look just like a phishing attempt. The one person posted to FB. Even though it had our exact coordinates, the 3 folks who came to help went to the wrong place. Seems they didn't trust the coordinates and ass-umed we were at another more likely spot.

So now I do practice texts when we're out of cell range.

If you wheel allot or take lots of road trips especially alone w / family members there is a solution such as an ISAT Phone with a 50 minute monthly fee of $59.00. The phone is a one time $900.00 roughly. Works literally anywhere you could wheel to. World wide and on top of the highest mountains.

https://satellitephonestore.com
Not nearly as reliable in trees as sending texts with something like InReach.

If I can ever train my wife to stand where she can see my side view mirror that is half the battle.

The other thing I still have to work on is getting her hands to represent how much room I have and to slowly move them together. For some reason her hands slowly move together and then all of the sudden when they are about 18in apart she claps them. WTF? :facepalm:
IMAO, spotting take much more talent and skill than slowly crawling through a tough line. My wife always drives and I spot.

I generally prefer to wheel alone. I used to have a group I went with but over the years they all grew up, got rid of their toys and now drive street cars. I've had a difficult time finding a new group that's the same speed as me. Some seem intent on breaking things or getting stuck, neither which is my idea of fun. Others groups I've been with it seems as though they're stopping every 100 yards for yet another group photo. Some want to race through the trail, others want to do the two hour hikes midway through. Some want to shoot guns, others want to drink beer, a third set like to do both simultaneously. So in general, I go alone now, do what I want as I want rather than having to follow the group's idea of fun.
Recovering all the Sports and occasional Ruby is the most fun. Breaks not so much. I'm with you on the beer drinkers, the more beers, the more reckless they get.

JINO

First Name
Jino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
99% of the time when I go wheeling/camping, it is alone.
I dislike going at 6 am and in large groups.

Have no 4x4 friends.

Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Honestly my only rule for solo trails is to AVOID THE MUD! Because that's the only place I ever get stuck. Obviously if you're having to bump it on a trail, maybe you shouldn't because you're alone and if you break something it's going to be a real hassle getting your rig home. I always play it safe, but there's absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to go wheeling by yourself, especially if you know what you're doing.

Just make sure to err on the side of caution!

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The wife and I are out solo most of the time…nothing wrong with it, imo, as long as you’re prepared….. Tools, comms, winch, recovery gear, food, water, etc…But the most important thing to have is COMMON SENSE…….trust your gut….and have a good time….✌

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
1 vehicle with the wife and I, all the time. As remote as it gets. Unless there are extreme weather events going on it's really no concern. We are both able bodied. Even in a total vehicle failure 1 or both of us is capable of hiking dozens of miles in a day. We always have ample food, water, clothing, and blankets/sleeping bags in the Jeep. If you think you're on a trail that's more than 30 miles from civilization/a road/ other vehicles, I'd argue it's not likely. So long as you're not out in a blizzard or triple digit heat there really just isn't a lot of risk. People want to point to medical emergencies and the like... people die in traffic from those same events daily, what are a few more buddies and a few more vehicles going to do for you? We all die one day, I'll never let the fear of it stop me from living every day. If you roll your rig off a shelf road, more witnesses won't do much for you. We even snow wheel on good weather days alone. Get stuck? Pull cable and back at it again. Get stuck a couple times in a row? Must be time to turn around and head back the way we came? Same goes for mud. If you think your alone or remote on popular trails like moab or the Rubicon, stop long enough to pee and have a beverage...viola you're not alone anymore.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
This same question in the correct Off-Road Talk: Technique, Planning, Trails : How far out there do you feel comfortable going solo?

Most ppl get more conservative as they age. I bought a TJR so don't need to wheel solo (defined as one rig). I've read too many JL catastrophic breakdown reports on this forum. Both our rigs have a 12K superwinch.

All those that say they have a winch, haven't you ever wheeled where you're sometimes out of a winch anchor point?

Used my Inreach 2 months ago to send for the calvary when we had a bad roll over and needed help. The help saved many folks from spending the night in the woods, unplanned. The big less I learned was send practice texts to those who can help you. 9/10 ppl deleted the text as InReach texts look just like a phishing attempt. The one person posted to FB. Even though it had our exact coordinates, the 3 folks who came to help went to the wrong place. Seems they didn't trust the coordinates and ass-umed we were at another more likely spot.

So now I do practice texts when we're out of cell range.

Not nearly as reliable in trees as sending texts with something like InReach.

IMAO, spotting take much more talent and skill than slowly crawling through a tough line. My wife always drives and I spot.

Recovering all the Sports and occasional Ruby is the most fun. Breaks not so much. I'm with you on the beer drinkers, the more beers, the more reckless they get.
Thanks for the tip on practice texts from Inreach. I have yet to subscribe to a provider, since I just got it last month. But, plan to get that done soon.

NChap89

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I do all the time! If you're ever looking for someone to wheel Uwharrie, hit me up! Only about 45 mins for me!
Same (In Charlotte), I went solo to Uwharrie last year probably a dozen times. I would really like going with a small group this year.

I think we should exchange info / create a Uwharrie group chat.
Sponsored