Sponsored

Anyone get the Y01 update on their Wrangler?

Edslittleworld

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubi, '21 Crosstrek, '20 Miata, BMW moto's
I just purchased a 2021 Rubicon (2-door) with the manual transmission. I just traded my 2017 Sport and am aghast how gutless my new JL is. I understand the new software "update" (Y01) supposedly detunes the engine under certain conditions related to clutch degradation. Well...those certain conditions seem to "only" occur when the engine is running. :/ Talk about a slug under acceleration! My update was performed before I picked it up as new. Does anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored

Brenden

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon unlimited manual, 2021 Ram 1500 ecodiesel crew
What rpm is it sluggish at? Does it run better in 4wd after you push offroad mode? I want to trick the dam thing to think it's in 4wd without shifting into 4wd just for extra torque from offroad mode

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
I just purchased a 2021 Rubicon (2-door) with the manual transmission. I just traded my 2017 Sport and am aghast how gutless my new JL is. I understand the new software "update" (Y01) supposedly detunes the engine under certain conditions related to clutch degradation. Well...those certain conditions seem to "only" occur when the engine is running. :/ Talk about a slug under acceleration! My update was performed before I picked it up as new. Does anyone else have this issue?
Did you test drive a 2021 manual before buying? All 2021s shipped since February came from the factory with the Y01 update which enabled Jeep to lift the stop sale order. The software fix should only be detuning the engine (torque) under extreme circumstances to prevent over heating.
I test drove two 2021 manuals and thought that they performed well. Well enough to order a Sport S, which is in the shipping stage now.
Based on your experience, I will certainly be taking it out for a ride before signing on the line.

OP
OP
Edslittleworld

Edslittleworld

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubi, '21 Crosstrek, '20 Miata, BMW moto's
Did you test drive a 2021 manual before buying? All 2021s shipped since February came from the factory with the Y01 update which enabled Jeep to lift the stop sale order. The software fix should only be detuning the engine (torque) under extreme circumstances to prevent over heating.
I test drove two 2021 manuals and thought that they performed well. Well enough to order a Sport S, which is in the shipping stage now.
Based on your experience, I will certainly be taking it out for a ride before signing on the line.
A test ride will not show you anything especially if it detunes "under extreme circumstances". What I wonder is what defines that condition and how exactly does the engine management system determine that situation? Plus, how much is the detune? 100HP reduction? Finally, off-roading does indeed put a strain on clutch components. Does that mean I'll have reduced power when I really want it?

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
A test ride will not show you anything especially if it detunes "under extreme circumstances". What I wonder is what defines that condition and how exactly does the engine management system determine that situation? Plus, how much is the detune? 100HP reduction? Finally, off-roading does indeed put a strain on clutch components. Does that mean I'll have reduced power when I really want it?
Yes and I would imagine that is unacceptable for the wheeling community. Most here have reported zero difference after the software flash, with the exception of a gear readout on the dash. Your JL shouldn't feel "gutless" due to the Y01 fix.
The way I understand it, the detuning occurs when/if the temperature reaches extreme, potentially dangerous levels. This would happen while wheeling where strain and slipping of the clutch are expected, not in normal driving conditions. Most agree that it's a shitty fix but one we are willing to live with.

effive

First Name
effive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys

I am seeing the same issue.
By default she seems starved.
And there are rare moments where she seems to have power of plenty.
But the starved moments are default.

No matter the gear or RPM, she would rather 'kind of' go, than GO.

But for quick example, if you are decelerating, and maybe place your foot on the break, before pushing in the clutch, she springs to life.
So you know that power is there, waiting.
But only coming to life once some resistance has been applied.

Or when going around a round about.
For some reason.
All of a sudden the engine springs to life.

No codes.
No check engine lights.
The dealer will not even look at it without lights flashing. (sigh)

It is like it is being tuned down by default.
Sponsored