Sponsored

Anyone from here attend this? "Nearly 200 people arrested, two shot during the 'Go Topless Jeep Weekend"

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
We have been having these types of things in Atlanta long before the Shelter in Place ordinances went into affect.

ATL Bike Life has been causing gridlock for years riding dirt bikes and four wheelers through the city in large groups. Check their Insta for several group photos where they completely shut down section of road.
https://www.instagram.com/atlbikelife/

Moreland Ave has been a go to spot for street racing in the early to 2000s and has several busts over the years. Here's an article from 2018 talking about yet another crackdown on the area.
https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law...retch-moreland-avenue/lAdlPsmA6FhOmdp9qJo16H/

Weeks before the shutdown a group blocked 285 and did donuts for several minutes before scattering.
https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/wi...ting-down-traffic/4DBJZWE6JFDHJDNBZIY3JLCHOE/

We even have a local urban legend that an unknown motorcycle club had an initiation that involved completing one lap around 285 (which is 64 miles) in under 30 minutes. I've never heard anyone give verifiable details to the validity of it, but it has inspired several people over the years to attempt it.

I dont blame the shutdown for the current events. Atlanta has always had a love affair with speed and gatherings.
Read my posts again. Not saying it caused it, but adds to it.

A simple question. Are there those (some, a portion, a segment, etc.) who are locked up for a period of time more apt to go overboard when set free?

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
Read my posts again. Not saying it caused it, but adds to it.

A simple question. Are there those (some, a portion, a segment, etc.) who are locked up for a period of time more apt to go overboard when set free?
I was completely unaware that I was responding to you. I was only expanding on Nerubi’s post about the large gatherings and racing going on in Atlanta, which have been going on as long as I can remember.

As far as your question, yes I would agree with your statement overall.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
"They're just kids" is NOT an acceptable excuse to act like a fool. Did I do some stuff I shouldn't have when I was young? Sure, but I wasn't getting drunk driving around, I wasn' getting into mob brawls, I wasn't destroying property, and I sure as heck wasn't shooting or stabbing people. I may have driven too fast (sober of course), been out too late, or TP'ed a house. Nothing violent, nothing that cost other people money or created a substantial risk to others.
I can understand getting drunk and passing out on a beach, or hooking up with someone they normally wouldn't. Okay, yeah, young and dumb. But bad decisions and criminal behavior are very different things.
Not excusing it in the least, nor do I excuse my youthful indiscretions. It happens, people get stupid, some more then others. I think it should stop, but get why it happens. I just try not to get too judgmental about it. Not talking about murders, stabbings and other obvious abhorrent stuff.

College spring break comes to mind. Since this years was curtailed for the most part, thinking next years is going to be unreal.

desync0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
"organizers" LOL.

If they held the "organizers" responsible for the crap that goes on at these things with fines, there'd be a lot less of them.
Go topless day is organized by local Jeep clubs all over North America, but all the trouble last year was caused by people that weren't driving Jeeps/part of go topless day.

It's a public beach so any idiot with a lifted truck and a 12 pack can show up, that's why the group that put on the event down there were planning on moving it somewhere else, so they wouldn't be associated with the BS.

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Do you find many tell you that comprehension and a sense of humor are lacking? ;)
They say that about you.

If you find your previous post about you being hypocritical and openly admitting it humorous, you truly are an old man who gets far too excited too easily. But seriously, do you find that people don’t want to be around you?

Also, my comment about being alienated and alone was not directed at you. Nor was it meant to be malicious. It was simply a question.

Then again, old man, you must suffer from both the lack of comprehension and a sense of humor. Funny how you posted to me exactly what’s wrong with you.:CWL:

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
They say that about you.

If you find your previous post about you being hypocritical and openly admitting it humorous, you truly are an old man who gets far too excited too easily. But seriously, do you find that people don’t want to be around you?

Also, my comment about being alienated and alone was not directed at you. Nor was it meant to be malicious. It was simply a question.

Then again, old man, you must suffer from both the lack of comprehension and a sense of humor. Funny how you posted to me exactly what’s wrong with you.:CWL:
Oh yeah, well I'm rubber and you're glue...... lol

Sponsored

Unix_Gawd

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL (Firecracker Red); 2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew 4x4; 1951 Ford F4 Deluxe Extra Cab;
I have a place on the Strand in Galveston and attend many great events every year.

I have only attended Jeep weekend once but every year it is the same. Here are my thoughts from what I have seen, plus what Galveston county should be doing to resolve the issue (I will base this on my experiences at other Jeep/bike events).

The main issue is Bolivar (Crystal Beach) is a public beach which means the county has to keep it open for everyone. There are so many non-jeep people attending this event it has steadily become a huge fiasco with drugs/alcohol, kids, gang bangers, etc. If you watch the videos there are a ton of other vehicles on the beach that out number the jeeps.

The city of Galveston should take this over and host Jeep Weekend just like the Lonestar bike rally. The city, motels, small businesses, etc. would benefit greatly from this. PLUS, they could keep out the trash!!!

If a few city council and/or county officials would attend Daytona's event they would see the benefits. Vendors could setup along the Strand and Piers hosting on the spot installs for many products.

I am planning to present this at one of the upcoming board meetings. If they choose not to address the problem then they can continue to have the same issues every year.

Jeephairchick

First Name
Lori
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR; Previous: 2016 Hydro Blue JKU
I hate that Jeeps are attached to this CF of a weekend. I went 2 years ago and I said never again. Too many lifted trucks and Sxs's have taken over this weekend. Many jeepers including myself choose to go elsewhere where there isn't drunken stupidity.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
Go topless day is organized by local Jeep clubs all over North America, but all the trouble last year was caused by people that weren't driving Jeeps/part of go topless day.

It's a public beach so any idiot with a lifted truck and a 12 pack can show up, that's why the group that put on the event down there were planning on moving it somewhere else, so they wouldn't be associated with the BS.
Not quite true. You claim ALL of the trouble was caused by people not driving Jeeps. The Sheriff stated that most of those arrested were not driving Jeeps. What is most ? 60%, 70%, 80% we don't know but we do know that some of those arrested were driving Jeeps. Some of the people there said that most of the people arrested were driving pick up trucks or side by sides.

In any case it ends up being guilt by association and most likely will end up having this event moved to some other town and probably not a beach town. The reputation of the event is already tarnished.
Sponsored