Sponsored

Anyone from here attend this? "Nearly 200 people arrested, two shot during the 'Go Topless Jeep Weekend"

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Looking at pictures from that event, it's definitley not my crowd. Too much thug life for me.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Pretty sure the "official" event organizers already planned on moving it this year after last years events.
"organizers" LOL.

If they held the "organizers" responsible for the crap that goes on at these things with fines, there'd be a lot less of them.

Last edited:

Trailnut

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Chevy Colorado, '20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Fire Marshal (Retired)
A raucous Texas beach event known as "Go Topless Jeep Weekend" ended with two people hospitalized following a shooting and nearly 200 others arrested on various charges

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nearly-200-people-arrested-two-204832409.html

Nearly 200 people arrested, two shot during 'Go Topless Jeep Weekend'

May 19, 2020

baacd3947130c42bf0ab3660ceccbfb2.jpeg

A raucous Texas beach event known as "Go Topless Jeep Weekend" ended with two people hospitalized following a shooting and nearly 200 others arrested on various charges.

Galveston County Sheriff Henry Trochesset said two men were airlifted to the hospital after both of them were shot in the torso during the annual event on Bolivar Peninsula, which brings together thousands of Jeep lovers and 4-wheeler enthusiasts.

A group of men and women were arguing when the fight escalated and gunshots rang out, Trochesset told NBC News. The conditions of the two men who were hospitalized haven't been released.

Authorities are looking for a third man who fled, the sheriff said Tuesday. No arrests were made in the shooting, and the investigation is ongoing.

By the time the gathering ended, more than 180 attendees had been taken into custody on numerous unrelated charges. The sheriff said charges included assault, driving without wearing a seat belt, DWI and public intoxication. Most of those who were arrested have since bonded out.

Justin Weaver, a resident of Bolivar, told NBC affiliate KBMT of Beaumont that he was disappointed in how people acted.

"I don't know why it's so hard for people just to show up and have fun these days," he said. "It disappoints me to see that kind of violence come here, because it's usually real quiet here."

Weaver said he hopes that next time people will "respect the beach and respect the people that live here."

Thousands of people flocked to the area for the gathering.

Bolivar Peninsula Chamber of Commerce President Brenda Flanagan said she hopes the arrests and shooting won't define the community.

"It's always sad when someone gets hurt on our beach," she told KBMT. "It's a sad situation, because Bolivar Peninsula is a safe place for people to come."

Trochesset said a majority of those arrested don't own Jeeps.

"I can't blame it on the Jeep clubs," the sheriff said.

More than 100 people were also arrested at last year's event.

Texas reopened its beaches May 1 after shutting them down because of the coronavirus pandemic. A video from the weekend's festivities showed many of the attendees partying and drinking while not practicing social distancing.

"We been in quarantine, and I need to get out and party," beachgoer Chelsey Coyer told KBMT, reminding people how to take precautions. "Wash them hands for 20 seconds and keep them clean with the Germ-X."

That ol boy has the Texas flag upside down - must of had a couple too many cold ones :LOL:

Rubicon_20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
EHS
That ol boy has the Texas flag upside down - must of had a couple too many cold ones :LOL:
LMAO! I Bet he did. But I have to say that these actions need to stop. There's nothing wrong about having a good time, but this tarnishes the public image of a Jeep people. Some car clubs act just as bad if not worse, and we can do better. Not pointing any fingers here, just saying.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
That has squat to do with it. This happens every year at this event. Over 100 arrests last year, dozens of fights, a couple of stabbings, and a handful of dangerous crashes - one fatal.

It’s a cesspool of human riff-raff. Non scumbags who just want to take their Jeeps out and have fun are surprised and shocked at what actually transpires.

Hard pass.
Did last year have murders too? I said the current lock down will have an inordinate amount of people letting their hair down. That didnt mean people never do this kind of thing. I think it's reasonable to expect a spike in bad behavior. Suicide is up, , domestic violence and other crime too.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I hate crowds.
I'd rather take a leisurely trail ride in the woods.
I hate crowds. I'm sure most of these kids are good people, but these "anything goes" gatherings seem to shut off all of the brain functions in young ones.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I hate crowds.

I hate crowds. I'm sure most of these kids are good people, but these "anything goes" gatherings seem to shut off all of the brain functions in young ones.
Yeah same here, but I'm old now and can be super judgmental and talk about how stupid everyone is when they are young vs how well behaved I was when young. An absolute angel. ;)

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yeah same here, but I'm old now and can be super judgmental and talk about how stupid everyone is when they are young vs how well behaved I was when young. An absolute angel. ;)
A right of passage for old people.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
"They're just kids" is NOT an acceptable excuse to act like a fool. Did I do some stuff I shouldn't have when I was young? Sure, but I wasn't getting drunk driving around, I wasn' getting into mob brawls, I wasn't destroying property, and I sure as heck wasn't shooting or stabbing people. I may have driven too fast (sober of course), been out too late, or TP'ed a house. Nothing violent, nothing that cost other people money or created a substantial risk to others.
I can understand getting drunk and passing out on a beach, or hooking up with someone they normally wouldn't. Okay, yeah, young and dumb. But bad decisions and criminal behavior are very different things.

Last edited:

RedRockRubicon

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.redrockrubicon.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR named Lucy, 2018 Bright White JLUR named Dru, 2020 Hella Yella JLUR named Stuart, 2000 TJ Bright Silver Metallic name Gru. 2020 Gladiator name Kassandra
Occupation
Jeep Tours/rentals
I'm blaming all the angry eye grills. So much anger!

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
LOL, that's got to be it.

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Sounds like an event to avoid, every year.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Yeah same here, but I'm old now and can be super judgmental and talk about how stupid everyone is when they are young vs how well behaved I was when young.
Do you find that you have very few people who want to be around you today?
A right of passage for old people.
Alienated and avoided?

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
Georgia had a 3,000 people party over the weekend. The crowd threw beer bottles at police when they tried to break it up. Atlanta over the weekend arrested 44 people, and impounded their cars, for excessuve speed. Here the State Patrol has issued twice as many tickets than last year for speeding over 100, including one at 170 (motorcycle but he didn't stay upright for long).

We have been having these types of things in Atlanta long before the Shelter in Place ordinances went into affect.

ATL Bike Life has been causing gridlock for years riding dirt bikes and four wheelers through the city in large groups. Check their Insta for several group photos where they completely shut down section of road.
https://www.instagram.com/atlbikelife/

Moreland Ave has been a go to spot for street racing in the early to 2000s and has several busts over the years. Here's an article from 2018 talking about yet another crackdown on the area.
https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law...retch-moreland-avenue/lAdlPsmA6FhOmdp9qJo16H/

Weeks before the shutdown a group blocked 285 and did donuts for several minutes before scattering.
https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/wi...ting-down-traffic/4DBJZWE6JFDHJDNBZIY3JLCHOE/

We even have a local urban legend that an unknown motorcycle club had an initiation that involved completing one lap around 285 (which is 64 miles) in under 30 minutes. I've never heard anyone give verifiable details to the validity of it, but it has inspired several people over the years to attempt it.

I dont blame the shutdown for the current events. Atlanta has always had a love affair with speed and gatherings.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Katy Tx and never go as it’s just an excuse to drink and get into trouble for most of the ppl that go, we normally go to South Padre or Crystal beach as it’s just overall better
Sponsored