Sponsored

Anyone from here attend this? "Nearly 200 people arrested, two shot during the 'Go Topless Jeep Weekend"

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
A raucous Texas beach event known as "Go Topless Jeep Weekend" ended with two people hospitalized following a shooting and nearly 200 others arrested on various charges

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nearly-200-people-arrested-two-204832409.html

Nearly 200 people arrested, two shot during 'Go Topless Jeep Weekend'

May 19, 2020

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone from here attend this? "Nearly 200 people arrested, two shot during the 'Go Topless Jeep Weekend" baacd3947130c42bf0ab3660ceccbfb2

A raucous Texas beach event known as "Go Topless Jeep Weekend" ended with two people hospitalized following a shooting and nearly 200 others arrested on various charges.

Galveston County Sheriff Henry Trochesset said two men were airlifted to the hospital after both of them were shot in the torso during the annual event on Bolivar Peninsula, which brings together thousands of Jeep lovers and 4-wheeler enthusiasts.

A group of men and women were arguing when the fight escalated and gunshots rang out, Trochesset told NBC News. The conditions of the two men who were hospitalized haven't been released.

Authorities are looking for a third man who fled, the sheriff said Tuesday. No arrests were made in the shooting, and the investigation is ongoing.

By the time the gathering ended, more than 180 attendees had been taken into custody on numerous unrelated charges. The sheriff said charges included assault, driving without wearing a seat belt, DWI and public intoxication. Most of those who were arrested have since bonded out.

Justin Weaver, a resident of Bolivar, told NBC affiliate KBMT of Beaumont that he was disappointed in how people acted.

"I don't know why it's so hard for people just to show up and have fun these days," he said. "It disappoints me to see that kind of violence come here, because it's usually real quiet here."

Weaver said he hopes that next time people will "respect the beach and respect the people that live here."

Thousands of people flocked to the area for the gathering.

Bolivar Peninsula Chamber of Commerce President Brenda Flanagan said she hopes the arrests and shooting won't define the community.

"It's always sad when someone gets hurt on our beach," she told KBMT. "It's a sad situation, because Bolivar Peninsula is a safe place for people to come."

Trochesset said a majority of those arrested don't own Jeeps.

"I can't blame it on the Jeep clubs," the sheriff said.

More than 100 people were also arrested at last year's event.

Texas reopened its beaches May 1 after shutting them down because of the coronavirus pandemic. A video from the weekend's festivities showed many of the attendees partying and drinking while not practicing social distancing.

"We been in quarantine, and I need to get out and party," beachgoer Chelsey Coyer told KBMT, reminding people how to take precautions. "Wash them hands for 20 seconds and keep them clean with the Germ-X."
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Isn't that the same story from last year? Did they just put a new date on it and repost?

Sponsored

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
With consecutive years of this becoming a story, I wouldn’t be surprised if they stopped hosting the event.

desync0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
With consecutive years of this becoming a story, I wouldn’t be surprised if they stopped hosting the event.
Pretty sure the "official" event organizers already planned on moving it this year after last years events.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Not too far from me, but I did not attend. Traffic is typically a CF and Bolivar Peninsula does not handle that many people very well. The ferry wait times were likely beyond stupid...

Sponsored