2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Sahara
So still not one out yet. WOW. All I can say
Sponsored

elduderino83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0l
So, is it confirmed that the solid black vinyl Mopar Sun Bonnet wouldn't work for rain? I would think the mesh top would let water through, but the solid vinyl seems like it would work while driving.
I'm wondering the same thing. In the description it says they are made from the same fabric as the production top so I'm guessing it would be water proof. Looking at the install instructions I'm really intrigued. Looks like you release your windshield to install basically a zipper that would stay in place and the top just zips into it. I'd like someone who has one to confirm how it installs

https://store.mopar.com/accessories...n_bonnets/sun_bonnet_soft_top_82215391AB.html

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'm wondering the same thing. In the description it says they are made from the same fabric as the production top so I'm guessing it would be water proof. Looking at the install instructions I'm really intrigued. Looks like you release your windshield to install basically a zipper that would stay in place and the top just zips into it. I'd like someone who has one to confirm how it installs

https://store.mopar.com/accessories...n_bonnets/sun_bonnet_soft_top_82215391AB.html

Someone on another thread purchased & returned it. It’s not waterproof, is too loose, and dumps water on the dash:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-bikini-tops.6657/page-9

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
Sounds like the issue is that there are gaps around it by the dash and over the doors. I got the suntop and that works for me.

Sponsored

shmpls

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, BMW M4
How is this not a thing? I assumed there would be a million options here. I want to keep the top and doors off but have something equivalent of the alien sunshade that is water-resistant. I don't care if water drips around the edges a little, not trying to drive through a monsoon in a Tom Ford suit - just something to keep most of the water off me and my peeps....

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
This should definitely be a thing in FL. I may have to create this myself and become rich.

Mane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner LTD
Also in FL, and I would totally buy a bikini top that keeps the rain out most of the time.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I've talked for months about doing mine--although I'd share it as DIY if it works. It's next in my cue barring unforeseen projects that take priority over it.

I started with this, and hope to allow the user to drive at reasonable speeds with it on--we'll see.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-20-ft-x-100-ft-Clear-6-mil-Plastic-Sheeting-CFHD0620C/204711640

My intent is to fold the item's width over itself when storing it, which will be on a roller in the cargo area, much like a windowshade that folds out to become much wider when deployed (by the user quickly pulling on it and cranking it back up: no torsion springs.)

A combination of neodymium magents plastic welded into it that adhere to non-aluminium surfaces below the door frame (i.e. magnetic) and rooftop latch points, along with grommets for high strength suction cups attachment points for non-magnetic surfaces like the windshield will serve as the attachment mechanisms.

No way, if it's even a huge success (it will probably be a train wreck until version 3.0) would I sell it. $.90 of over dollar of profit would have to go to liability insurance for the owner who can't see out of it during the pouring rain and attempts to drive with it, crashes, and litigates me.

My question is, given the $100 investmest in plastic alone, what would people pay for a tarp that's driveable, say, at speeds not exceeding 30 mph?

Sponsored

shmpls

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, BMW M4
Has to work at highway speed, IMO.

Essentially all we need is a sheet of roofing rubber type material with like a dozen grommets and you stretch it over posts on the windshield and roll bar perimeter. But professionally made so it doesn't look like a rolling shanty town.

Gerry878

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Occupation
Banker
Short term revival. Guessing no updates as of today?

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I attempted one this summer. I used this https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-20-ft-x-100-ft-Clear-6-mil-Plastic-Sheeting-CFHD0620C/204711640
versus vinyl all over to keep costs down: stupid.

I did not like the way it turned out for safety reasons, as areas that needed to be clear to see out of on the sides were merely translucent, (allowing light, but not detailed shapes, to pass through; semitransparent).

So I cut holes the critical places, bought clear vinyl for them and attempted to iron weld the dissimilar plastics together: which worked as well as getting a rock to float!

Next summer I'm using this material and trying again.

https://www.amazon.com/Yourtablecloth-Tablecloth-Oblong-Highly-Durable/dp/B01EKOS9G8

now that I found stuff clear and reasonable affordable for want to spend on this project.

My idea was to adhere the plastic to the rig with neodymium magnets on metal (i.e. not the doors: aluminum) and suction cups on the front window: which my design necessitates be up, not down to the hood. That part worked well. Not in use it's rolled up on a pipe in the cargo area.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
This is a little weird but I found this post pretty interesting. I’m a Florida boy had a jeep down there and I had to have a soft top because of the rain. Purchased my JLR 2 door and put it in western NC. Because I could not get a soft top in the dual top package when I ordered I have the hardtop which is off eight months out of the year. For my rain back up I use this. https://www.quadratec.com/products/11186_4002_07.htm

I carried it in the back and I have not used it yet because I’m a Fairweather jeep person when it comes to having my hardtop off. I have been caught in a big downpour here three times to the point where I had to dry out the jeep. I’m going to take this cover and cut some holes in the windshield so I can drive with it on. I will have to climb in because it covers the door. If anyone follows this who manufactures these types of covers they will come up with a way we can do this. I should also add that my plan is if it’s going to rain I drive to the local home brewery put my tarp on and wait out the storm or have my wife come pick me up. Keep looking for a solution.
Sponsored