Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I would pay $1k+ for this simple top... somebody please invent. :facepalm:
Just buy a soft top...this is the oddest thread.

It's not invented because it wont work. They have a cover to use while parked...but if want something to use and drive nothing will work unless its secure like the soft top.

JUST BUY A SOFT TOP
Sponsored

OP
OP

Oscar16

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Sahara
I had a soft top for 15 years not like I don’t know they sell them. I like the hard top on the highway better why don’t want to buy soft top. I saw JK had emergency drivable one so not like I’m making something up. Why I asked if out yet. If can do for JK why not JL. Not looking for one to drive for 50 miles just one get me home if a downpour. Have a 3 year old with me a lot. So I worry about driving with him and top off cause that.

Myka L

First Name
Myka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
They will not make one. Money reasons.

We basically want a soft top that's easy to store and easy to put on, keeps out the rain and costs $150.
Most of the US owners of hard tops do not get enough rain to make this only "an emergency purchase" over the $800 products. I mean, if it keeps out the rain and is easy to store, which hard-top owner would ever buy a soft-top or all those other tops they sell when they could buy the emergency product. They would have to make it so ugly it was really only for emergencies. Like 12 garbage bags sewn together. Or else make it take 30 minutes to erect, in which case it would be useless because your interior is soaked.

It sounds like a pre-cut piece if tarp with metal rings for string or velcro ties would be a pretty good seller.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
If you weren't budget constrained, and don't mind it being a bit oversized, you could buy the fabric portion of a soft top plus the header bar to latch onto the windshield, then punch a couple grommets at the back for ratcheting tie downs to pull it tight. The sides/back will still be open, and your cargo area will get soaked, since there's no supports that extend all the way back... But the passenger area will remain dry..ish.

Sponsored

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
https://www.rampageproducts.com/rampage-90435-california-extended-brief

Does this not work? This is for driving in the rain when being caught out in a storm. Seems like this would fit the bill. Sailcloth is should just sheet the water off while driving. If your doors are off thats another issue.

In the past I made a bikini top for a blazer I had out of Sunbrella fabric. It was water and UV resistant. Only time it would leak would be if rain filled it up like a bowl and it would drip from the center.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Someone said the JK Pavement Ends Emergency top would not work ; the JL is 2" wider, 2" longer for the 2 door, so not enough stretch? Thinking at $129 it would be worth trying ?

Screenshot_20200217-103412.jpg

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
All the people saying "just buy a soft top" the problem is that I want to have the doors off all summer. The JL top in "safari mode" does a pretty good job of keeping water out, but it still can lead to you getting pretty wet. I've seen a thread where a guy showed the Mopar top fit over a soft top that is down and may be a good option. I'm working with my mom to sew something up - she's made me some bags for my Jeep out of really good material for this. "Just get a soft top" works if you keep the doors on, but what's the point in top off doors on? ;)

Sponsored

Big Mo

First Name
99ProblemsJeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Sometimes you just have to do what ya gottta do. Always keep a tarp!
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone found drivable emergency rain top for JL yet received_621400885451568

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Someone said the JK Pavement Ends Emergency top would not work ; the JL is 2" wider, 2" longer for the 2 door, so not enough stretch? Thinking at $129 it would be worth trying ?

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone found drivable emergency rain top for JL yet received_621400885451568
Did you ever try this?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
All the people saying "just buy a soft top" the problem is that I want to have the doors off all summer. The JL top in "safari mode" does a pretty good job of keeping water out, but it still can lead to you getting pretty wet. I've seen a thread where a guy showed the Mopar top fit over a soft top that is down and may be a good option. I'm working with my mom to sew something up - she's made me some bags for my Jeep out of really good material for this. "Just get a soft top" works if you keep the doors on, but what's the point in top off doors on? ;)
I have the soft top and the Bestop 2-peice soft doors that fit easily in the bed of the jeep I can go from neked to fully enclosed in less than 5 minutes without any heavy lifting and can drive highway speeds no problem

From this

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone found drivable emergency rain top for JL yet Soft half Doors top down

To this

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone found drivable emergency rain top for JL yet covered with bike