Sponsored

Anyone Found a Way Through the Firewall on Manual Transmission JL's?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking at adding a new front camera to my JL, using the Tazer cargo cam option. We just installed one on my brother's JT yesterday and it worlked perfectly. He used the clutch hole plug to pass the cable through the firewall, which is great for the auto transmission folks. But those of us with manuals have mechanicals going through that hole.

So has anyone found a good route for running a wire through the firewall of a manual equipped JL?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@DanW

Saw this way to do awhile back...... and have thought since then that it was a very doable way to get a cable in the cab of a manual tranny JL. Never tried this way (yet) though...

Not sure if you would have enough cable, etc...

Watch this video....

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I've done something similar for my front "trail" camera. I just folded down the windshield and routed the cable through the gap into the same plastic upper cover and then forward along the battery and wiring area to the grill.

There is plenty of space with the squishy weather stripping that is installed along the bottom of the windshield.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Like both of the above posts mentioned, when I did my GMRS install, I didn't go through the firewall. Instead, through the cowl and into the interior (inside the weather-stripping). Here's the thread with pics where I walk through how I did it. The Tazer camera is just an RCA cable, so you should be able to add an extension to make it longer if needed.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...antenna-and-under-seat-power-pic-heavy.48618/

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Like both of the above posts mentioned, when I did my GMRS install, I didn't go through the firewall. Instead, through the cowl and into the interior (inside the weather-stripping). Here's the thread with pics where I walk through how I did it. The Tazer camera is just an RCA cable, so you should be able to add an extension to make it longer if needed.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...antenna-and-under-seat-power-pic-heavy.48618/
I did something similar on the passenger side. Not as clean, so when I swap to GMRS and move the CB over to driver, I'm going to try and dupliate this. The cowl route is good, no leak issues yet for me.

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

This is from the Mopar Aux Switch instructions. I had to do this when installing them. It shows penetrating the rubber grommet with the main harness in the passenger footwell.

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 3.45.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 3.46.14 PM.png

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
@DanW

Saw this way to do awhile back...... and have thought since then that it was a very doable way to get a cable in the cab of a manual tranny JL. Never tried this way (yet) though...

Not sure if you would have enough cable, etc...

Watch this video....

This is the way I went to tap the courtesy light for an Oracle install—no chance for screw-ups. Easy to route, no problems.

EDIT: I should add that I did mine this way because there is almost no room in the engine bay to get through if you have a diesel.
Sponsored

Last edited: