Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
the Bestop Trektop NX Glide for the JK looks like it would be the perfect compromise. i like the Trektop NX except for the fact that you can't drop the top fully. it always covers the rear passengers.
That is exactly why I didn't buy it and might instead buy a used Mopar. It also seems to be a pita to install and I wanna go back and forth between soft and hardtop often.
Sponsored

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
That is exactly why I didn't buy it and might instead buy a used Mopar. It also seems to be a pita to install and I wanna go back and forth between soft and hardtop often.
i don’t think any of the soft tops make that easy. For me it is just for snow season I’ll put in the hard top. My suntop is fine for 9 months of the year.

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
After installing a Bestop Trektop NX onto my 2020 Rubicon Unlimited and then watching the video installation of the SunTop (http://www.thesuntop.com/concept.aspx),

What a huge difference in the quality of engineering and components!

The Bestop is a run-away winner, but I can see why others like the Suntop for the simplicity of its 100% removal.

But, the Suntop is way too expensive for such a "Mickey Mouse" design.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
After installing a Bestop Trektop NX onto my 2020 Rubicon Unlimited and then watching the video installation of the SunTop (http://www.thesuntop.com/concept.aspx),

What a huge difference in the quality of engineering and components!

The Bestop is a run-away winner, but I can see why others like the Suntop for the simplicity of its 100% removal.

But, the Suntop is way too expensive for such a "Mickey Mouse" design.
Yeah I totally agree, the quality of the Bestop is on par with that of the Mopar top. The Suntop looks like throwing a blanket on top of your Wrangler and calling it a day. It is very simple, and I see some people preferring that simplicity over robustness. I would buy it if it was $300 - $400

Sponsored

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I totally agree, the quality of the Bestop is on par with that of the Mopar top. The Suntop looks like throwing a blanket on top of your Wrangler and calling it a day. It is very simple, and I see some people preferring that simplicity over robustness. I would buy it if it was $300 - $400
Have you seen the Suntop in person? My understanding is that the materials are similar to the lower end Bestop materials, black diamond I believe it is called. The mounting equipment is good and the way the top fits into the rails on top works well. The top doesn't feel loose or sloppy at all and looks great. The material could be thicker though, but I wonder if it is a trade off because thicker top would be bulkier when it rolls forward.

dano0726

Threads
Reaction score
One of the questions answered (on the ExtremeTerrain website) stated that we could use our freedom panels on the Cargo Top or Fastback Top, nullifying the need for the "top" portion of the SunTop...

Can anyone confirm ExtremeTerrain's answer?

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One of the questions answered (on the ExtremeTerrain website) stated that we could use our freedom panels on the Cargo Top or Fastback Top, nullifying the need for the "top" portion of the SunTop...

Can anyone confirm ExtremeTerrain's answer?
I mean, you can use the freedom panels with the different backs, but it won’t cover the rear seats at all. The two backs just cover the cargo area of the JLU, not the rear seats at all.

Kerfien

First Name
Lesli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S in Mojito! 1998 Eclipse Sypder. 1993 Honda Prelude
Anyone have any updates on their Suntops? I’m debating on ordering one and looking for reviews/opinions.

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
Anyone have any updates on their Suntops? I’m debating on ordering one and looking for reviews/opinions.
Bestop is the only way to go

We have a Trextop NX and love it!

Sponsored

Kerfien

First Name
Lesli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bestop is the only way to go

We have a Trextop NX and love it!
Thanks! But it they don’t have what I’m looking for

I’m needing something I can handle myself, with the ability to be completely open but easy enough to put back on in not to long of time.

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
KBB Analyst
Thanks! But it they don’t have what I’m looking for

I’m needing something I can handle myself, with the ability to be completely open but easy enough to put back on in not to long of time.
Maybe you may want to take a closer look at the Bestop, as I can run with it fully enclosed or just with the top without the windows.

In that state of cover, the front portion flips back with a sky view from the windshield clear back to the speakers above.

I have taken to entire top off previously, by removing 2 screw/bolts and undoing the Velcro attachments, in around 15 minutes or so.

What I discovered was that there was no real need to take the entire top off, since the flip open front section was all that I needed.

I have both factory bikini tops and I never used them, if you want to buy them?

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the Suntop. I was looking for a fastback top that I could open completely. Bestop's Trektop could not be opened completely and the OEM top was not a fastback design. Suntop was the only option.

It is easy to open/close the top, but a bit tedious. I have to unstrap the back and go along both sides to unclip the top. Then, climb into the very back to start rolling it forward, but about halfway I have to climb into the rear seat and roll it the rest of the way. Once it is rolled forward, the entire top is open. I generally left the back side windows in, but would roll up the very back window or remove it entirely.

The top is thin and a bit noisy. Because it rolls forward, I don't think they could make it thicker because it would be too bulky. Even with everything closed, it sounded like you had the window open.

For me, I wouldn't buy one right now. I like the top, but I'd be keeping an eye out for the new Bestop Trektop Ultra. It isn't out yet, so who knows when it is coming, but it is a fully retractable top unlike the Trektop NX that is only sunrider like.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-soft-top-jlu-wrangler-build-sema-2019.40869/

Kerfien

First Name
Lesli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the Suntop. I was looking for a fastback top that I could open completely. Bestop's Trektop could not be opened completely and the OEM top was not a fastback design. Suntop was the only option.

It is easy to open/close the top, but a bit tedious. I have to unstrap the back and go along both sides to unclip the top. Then, climb into the very back to start rolling it forward, but about halfway I have to climb into the rear seat and roll it the rest of the way. Once it is rolled forward, the entire top is open. I generally left the back side windows in, but would roll up the very back window or remove it entirely.

The top is thin and a bit noisy. Because it rolls forward, I don't think they could make it thicker because it would be too bulky. Even with everything closed, it sounded like you had the window open.

For me, I wouldn't buy one right now. I like the top, but I'd be keeping an eye out for the new Bestop Trektop Ultra. It isn't out yet, so who knows when it is coming, but it is a fully retractable top unlike the Trektop NX that is only sunrider like.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-soft-top-jlu-wrangler-build-sema-2019.40869/
Thanks! The possible price tag on that one scares me

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I was hot for the Suntop, but they won't sell with the top + windows for the 2 door. You have to buy the top + cargo + windows for extra $$s. Cheesy. I know I'll never use the cargo top since I have dogs that ride in the back.
And now that I've seen a some fastbacks on 2 doors, I'm not a fan. I really like the fast back on a 4 door though. So at this point I think I'm going to get a factory premium and just pay through the you know what.
Sponsored