aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Received the suntop fastback cargo top a week ago. Installation took almost 3 hours due to directions. Regular install should be less than 1 hour. Unique design and features. Great local support via phone from NY vs Italy. Happy so far with options vs Mopar and Besttop limitations.
The Youtube video was very helpful, still lacking detailed instructions, and that damn song that just keeps looping.
Sponsored

jdusza1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
Vehicle Showcase
The Youtube video was very helpful, still lacking detailed instructions, and that damn song that just keeps looping.
Apparently they are working on an updated english video.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Are you happy with the top ?
I love the versatility of the top. I switch between the fastback and the cargo top a lot. Don't like the way the seatbelts feel with the cargo top on, they don't really retract. It's a little loud at highway speeds but as much as they're trying to make this a car, it's still a Jeep. If I want a quiet ride I'll take my wife's car.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
So, I put mine back on. I'll most likely sell it at the end of the summer. I like the concept and I like the style, but I don't really like having it on my Jeep. It is loud as hell on the highways and a bit annoying to deal with. The rear window can be rolled up and attached with velcro tabs on the sides, but using that leaves it hang way too low for any reasonable visibility out the back window. Taking it out entirely works much better, but it is a pain in the ass to get it back on.

I'm keeping an eye on the Bestop Trektop Ultra to see how it actually works out. It is a lot more expensive than the Suntop, but seems like it would be a lot easier to deal with.

Sponsored

MeanPeachMojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester, 2019 JLU Sport S
So, I put mine back on. I'll most likely sell it at the end of the summer. I like the concept and I like the style, but I don't really like having it on my Jeep. It is loud as hell on the highways and a bit annoying to deal with. The rear window can be rolled up and attached with velcro tabs on the sides, but using that leaves it hang way too low for any reasonable visibility out the back window. Taking it out entirely works much better, but it is a pain in the ass to get it back on.

I'm keeping an eye on the Bestop Trektop Ultra to see how it actually works out. It is a lot more expensive than the Suntop, but seems like it would be a lot easier to deal with.
I have the TT if you have questions, I’d be happy to try and help. There are definitely pros and cons.
Edited to say I have the NX, not the Ultra. I just noticed that detail. Knowing what I know with the NX, an ultra isn’t worth the extra $ imho.

jdusza1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
Vehicle Showcase
I have the TT if you have questions, I’d be happy to try and help. There are definitely pros and cons.
Edited to say I have the NX, not the Ultra. I just noticed that detail. Knowing what I know with the NX, an ultra isn’t worth the extra $ imho.
I like it 2 weeks in. The cargo top is a stand out. Dont like the way the top rolls from back vs flip back.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what do you mean? How is the quality compared to the OEM soft top?

MeanPeachMojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester, 2019 JLU Sport S
what do you mean? How is the quality compared to the OEM soft top?
I don’t have the OEM soft top or any other soft top to compare it to. The BTTT NX is nice in some ways and not in others.

Pros: Fairly easy to take the windows off and enjoy an open ride. Cheaper than Ultra. Built from strong materials and holds up well. (I’ve had it on/off for 2 seasons.)
The front flip is quick and easy for the sake of having a little sunroof action.
Looks sleek IMHO.

Cons: takes 4 hrs to install initially and 2 hours every season after that and that’s if you don’t lose or damage the parts in the process.
It’s a fast back, so the angle in the back is a pita when trying to fit gear in the back. ie; it’s cumbersome to unzip and roll open the back for this reason and you lose cargo space.
The top, when completely open and windows off, is still covered from middle support beam to the back roll bar area. Not the end of the world, but not completely open and airy like a fold down top that collapses all the way to the tailgate.
Also, I learned the hard way that there is an important piece that needs to be installed (much like an Alien shade) in the top center area. This prevents the canvas top from collapsing in on the vehicle when folded back, blocking your visibility out the back of the Jeep.

There are certainly pros and cons to every option and it’s user preference obviously, but I wouldn’t spend more than $1200 on a soft top and even that was a stretch.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The OEM soft top would be sufficient for me to put it on and leave it year round. The Suntop is not. It’s too thin and the design would definitely be problematic with snow.
I have friends who live fairly close with the OEM top and they leave it on year round. If I could do that, I’d consider selling my Suntop and hard top to pay for it.

Sponsored

Jrodri01

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2019
For those of you with The suntop how is the quality. I live in Orlando so the top would stay on all year round just concerned about rain leaks. I’m trying to decide between this and the nx by best top but was told the nx is not able to be full open air only the front part.

thank you in advance

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just took my Suntop off and switched to the Bestop Supertop Ultra. Much quieter, much warmer now that winter is here. The Bestop Trektop Ultra is the one that opens fully with the fastback design. I went with the square one.

3000MMiles

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon

if you check that youtube video, you can see the entire process. there are 2 brackets that run the length of the top that attach to the roll cage. that video doesn't really show them tightening the brackets down. the instructions say to pull them out as far as you can, but i found that you have to do this with the doors closed. originally, it was out too far and the doors had a little trouble closing.
@trouphaz

Did you ever figure out how to keep the front roof section from flapping, especially where the bar inside the top slides through at the roll bar above the front head head area?

I've played with location of that little pad at length, and no success. Its fine with doors off, but with doors on - especially with windows up - its insanely annoying.

Let me know if you found a solution for that. Thanks man.

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@trouphaz

Did you ever figure out how to keep the front roof section from flapping, especially where the bar inside the top slides through at the roll bar above the front head head area?

I've played with location of that little pad at length, and no success. Its fine with doors off, but with doors on - especially with windows up - its insanely annoying.

Let me know if you found a solution for that. Thanks man.
my solution was to buy the bestop and sell the suntop. I think it now comes with another crossbar to prevent that flapping. When the guy bought it, he asked about that part. I wonder if you can get it from them.

3000MMiles

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
my solution was to buy the bestop and sell the suntop. I think it now comes with another crossbar to prevent that flapping. When the guy bought it, he asked about that part. I wonder if you can get it from them.
Thanks buddy

Emailed them to see if they can fix it. I'm a hardtop or everything off guy mainly. But do need it to work for Spring and roadies. Wish me luck, or I will be following your lead.
Sponsored