Sponsored

Anyone else with an automatic seeing this occasionally?

Justtiffmonae

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara Unlimited
This may be a silly question but when shifting into 4H should the gear be on drive or M? (Automatic) what is the M+ M- for? I ask because I was driving in the blizzard today and when I put it in 4H I felt like it sounded weird while driving didn't know if that was the norm
Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
This may be a silly question but when shifting into 4H should the gear be on drive or M? (Automatic) what is the M+ M- for? I ask because I was driving in the blizzard today and when I put it in 4H I felt like it sounded weird while driving didn't know if that was the norm
The M + and - are for manual shifting. You push your shift to the left into that gate and push forward to advance a gear and pull back to go down a gear. Similar to older cars that would have a 1, 2, and 3, after the Drive for shifting into a lower gear. This however lets you traverse the gears as if it was a standard but without a clutch.

I am not sure what you heard that sounded weird. I mean you have engaged the transfer case to drive the front wheels. In corners you will feel those front tires bite in and grab. This could make a sound if the snow was not deep and tires were making it to the pavement and not slipping.

Would need a better description than weird to be able to provide anything more.

Justtiffmonae

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara Unlimited
The M + and - are for manual shifting. You push your shift to the left into that gate and push forward to advance a gear and pull back to go down a gear. Similar to older cars that would have a 1, 2, and 3, after the Drive for shifting into a lower gear. This however lets you traverse the gears as if it was a standard but without a clutch.

I am not sure what you heard that sounded weird. I mean you have engaged the transfer case to drive the front wheels. In corners you will feel those front tires bite in and grab. This could make a sound if the snow was not deep and tires were making it to the pavement and not slipping.

The snow was mostly slush so driving over it made a splashing/spraying sound sorry if I'm not explaining well.

Justtiffmonae

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara Unlimited

So the gear should be set to M before shifting from 2l to 4H?

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the gear should be set to M before shifting from 2l to 4H?
As AZCrawl said leave it in D.

OK if it was just slush your tires are going to be on pavement most likely and probably able to grip. If in 4H you may feel some binding when taking a corner as the front wheels are now getting power and they are turned grabbing the pavement. I usually don't bother with 4H in slush as I have plenty of traction. If I feel as though it is slipping due to packed snow or deep snow then I put it in 4H.

That M setting is if you want to choose which gear you are driving in. If you are at a stop and put it in M you will then be in 1st gear. As you accelerate it will not automatically shift into 2nd gear. You need to push the lever forward to shift into second. As you go faster and your RPMs are getting higher you need to shift again into third and so on. When slowing down you would pull back on the lever to drop a gear until back in 1st gear when coming to a stop. It is to give you more control over what gear you drive in. the M is for Manual as you are manually choosing the gear you are driving in.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To further explain where I think you may be confused is the "gear" for each lever.

The lever with P R N D (M) is for your automatic transmission and is for driving at different speeds.

The lever with 4H 4L is your transfer case. When in 2H power is being sent to your rear wheels only. When you shift that lever to 4H or 4L power is then transferred between your front wheels and the rear wheels hence 4 wheel drive.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On top of that here is a youtube video on the tip-tronic transmission. This is a 2013 model where the plus and minus were shifted left and right instead of forward and back.

Sponsored

myerides

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Operations Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I work at a Jeep dealer. We've had it happen on two JL's so far. They tried re flashing the ECM, re programming the cluster, etc and the cluster still continued to screw up. It would do all kinds of crazy stuff. The odometer would go away, info in the upper corners would randomly change, etc. So they have come to the conclusion that it needs a new cluster all together. Problem is that the clusters are on backorder. Even worse, if you order one the Jeep cannot have a single mile put on it after that so it literally has to be left at the dealership while you wait for a cluster. The first one took about 3 weeks. Still waiting on the second one.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Hi, I have a manual, so I see this screen every time before starting and every time I shut off the car. Until one day........... it randomly showed a sliver jeep driving on a bit of water/ making some splash from wheels. Is it the start up screen for AT?
Very odd.
Really?? Your car shows a Jeep at startup?
Sponsored