Sponsored

Anyone else wish the soft top was more like the JK's?

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
Ok So I just found this.... you can skip to the 4 min mark.... you can easily take the whole thing down like in the JK... does look bulkier though...

Sponsored

Patsloft

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

We have a new Rubicon on order and had planned to order it with the soft top. After test driving a couple I wanted to see how the new top went down. I must say I like how the windows come out instead of using zippers. What I don't like is the bulky things mounted on the roll bars. I think they are ugly as can be and don't understand how someone could look at that and say "We got it! That's it!". Mean to tell me you couldn't come up with something better than that? I also think it looks weird without the windows how the back just floats on its own. In the end we decided to order a hard top and wait to see what the aftermarket comes up with for a soft top. I personally much prefer the soft top on the JK. Not knocking anyone's choice as we all have different opinions. Just wondering what others think of the JL soft top.
The new one is way better

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 L 4 Cylinder Turbo on 37s with 2” Mopar Lift, Inginity QX60, and BMW R Nine T Scrambler
Vehicle Showcase
I had a trek top on my JKUR but didn’t like that I couldn’t fully fold it down so went with the dual integral body color hard and premium soft top on the JLUR. I just installed the soft top this weekend. Took the windows out and folded it down completed today. Bought the Mopar storage bag to store the windows while riding around. My only complaint is that the locking Mechanism only seems to lock the lower portion leaving the upper to bounce around a bit. Anyone else notice this? I would think this would be less than ideal on the trail. I’m thinking about using some straps to hold it down more firmly.

37250185-4342-42CA-B5C6-62A990271E42.jpeg

7057C729-070E-4A7A-A73B-98FA41C4DD46.jpeg

6F0581C3-A425-4A93-8770-7DAADE02E03D.jpeg

OP
OP
chain

chain

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2019 JL 2dr Rubicon
I would note that my JK was a 2dr and my JL will be as well. I never messed with the 4 door soft top and I could see where that could make a difference in opinion as well. A bit less top to deal with on the 2 doors.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I had a trek top on my JKUR but didn’t like that I couldn’t fully fold it down so went with the dual integral body color hard and premium soft top on the JLUR. I just installed the soft top this weekend. Took the windows out and folded it down completed today. Bought the Mopar storage bag to store the windows while riding around. My only complaint is that the locking Mechanism only seems to lock the lower portion leaving the upper to bounce around a bit. Anyone else notice this? I would think this would be less than ideal on the trail. I’m thinking about using some straps to hold it down more firmly.

37250185-4342-42CA-B5C6-62A990271E42.jpeg

7057C729-070E-4A7A-A73B-98FA41C4DD46.jpeg

6F0581C3-A425-4A93-8770-7DAADE02E03D.jpeg
I use velcro to keep it strapped down and keep it from bouncing around.

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
My opinion, FWIW--I have a 2 door premium soft top. I like it pretty well, although it certainly isn't perfect...but is definitely a head-and-shoulders improvement over my JK.

Pro's:
  • Quiet compared to TJ and JK soft tops when up/windows on.
  • Good seal at the windshield--compared the leaky connection on my TJ years ago.
  • Twill material is very nice, much more substantial than JK top.
  • Structure is much more stable up and smooth going up/down than JK top.
  • Windows much easier to deal with--no zippers.
  • Sunrider feature--pretty much 2 clips undone, and immediate access to the sun.
  • Much quicker and easier to put up and down, so will go top-down for short trips, where in my JK it really needed to be an all day affair to be worth the effort.
  • Safari mode is convenient and comfortable.
Cons:
  • High cross wind resistance isn't as good. There have been times I thought a cross wind was going to blow the windows out.
  • The vented design above the windows can allow for wind noise, particularly on the passenger side, for some reason.
  • Doesn't stow very neatly.
  • Windows can't be rolled up.
  • Safari mode looks a bit strange to me, but it has grown on me...some. Don't see the safari look moving to a "Pro" though.
Undetermined:
  • Haven't completely removed or reinstalled the top yet. Removal of the pivot mechanisms looks like could be a bit cumbersome. Only a couple of bolts, each side, so maybe won't be too bad. Read accounts of others' experiences removing the soft top, and they were mixed.

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
I’m with the OP on this one. The top functions exceptionally well, but I don’t care for the floating top look with the windows removed nor do I care for how the top sits folded down (doesn’t pack down enough and I find all the bars and plastic bits look messy).

The functionality of it is great though - you could prob go fully top less in a minute.

I’m waiting on The Suntop to release their JL top. Already placed a preorder for the cargo version.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I love the safari top look. The JK just looks like clear windows when you take the windows out. The profile doesn’t really change. Same old boxy look.

The zippers didn’t really bother me on the JK. The tough part was starting the zipper for the rear window, but with the JL I just trade that for threading the windows on the track. They both take the same amount of time.

Sponsored

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Yes, as I stated, I was comparing to MY JK top. However, beyond that, the construction of the top is significantly nicer as well.

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
I love "Safari-mode", but I agree it does look a bit odd. I wonder if it's possible to get just the plastic columns from the side windows and mount them?

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
I went TJ to JK Hardtop with aftermarket soft top to soft top JL.

The JK's aftermarket Besttop Trektop NX Glide sunrider was a lot nicer and easier to use. I really wish the factory one went that route instead of how it now is.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
I dont like the look of the soft top because of the hump over the sound bar. I did like the JK soft top.
Sponsored