Sponsored

Anyone else wish the soft top was more like the JK's?

chain

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2019 JL 2dr Rubicon
We have a new Rubicon on order and had planned to order it with the soft top. After test driving a couple I wanted to see how the new top went down. I must say I like how the windows come out instead of using zippers. What I don't like is the bulky things mounted on the roll bars. I think they are ugly as can be and don't understand how someone could look at that and say "We got it! That's it!". Mean to tell me you couldn't come up with something better than that? I also think it looks weird without the windows how the back just floats on its own. In the end we decided to order a hard top and wait to see what the aftermarket comes up with for a soft top. I personally much prefer the soft top on the JK. Not knocking anyone's choice as we all have different opinions. Just wondering what others think of the JL soft top.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I think the option for the “safari top” looks good and is quite functional. I wish I had ordered dual tops just for that.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Personally I love it. I went from a TJ to JK and now to JL, by FAR my favorite top.

Not having to fight with zippers is great the sunrider feature is easier as you don't have to make sure it's folded right but there is more material on top to strap down (it has little shocks to help slow it down and help throw it back).

The best part is how easy it is to fold all the way down, I use to have to unclip from the sunrider then run to the back, take out the 2 rear wings and fold them up, step into my tailgate and hope the sunrider didn't reclip, THEN pull the top back while balancing and hoping the material folds right. Now I just unclip the front, fold it back, go to the back and pull a handle and boom done. It was so annoying on the JK I usually just left the windows out and did the sunrider. I ended up buying a Trektop due to those annoyances but it wasn't a take the whole top down kinda thing, so it was usually in a bikini mode like the new tops still.

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I suppose I'll bite and say I'm not 100% with the factory/Mopar option. It's my first Jeep and I have yet to install my soft top (got dual tops but have only used hard top so far), but there are a few aspects of it that seem like they could be more modern/refined. Would be nice if the additional plastic parts were less conspicuous, but nice that's it's a nicely framed up-and-down system. And if it were more "hidden" when folded down would be nice.

Still better than the pictures/descriptions I've seen of the JK soft top IMO.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Well I guess I'm the weird one then. =)
Nah, I'm still not sure about the "looks" of safari mode but I like the utility of it but it seems fun. Now that I say it out loud, isn't that the Wrangler way?

OP
OP
chain

chain

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nah, I'm still not sure about the "looks" of safari mode but I like the utility of it but it seems fun. Now that I say it out loud, isn't that the Wrangler way?
Does sound good. I think they did make it fold better for sure. I just can't get over it looking weird to me in safari mode. I preferred the look with the corners still on. Also hate the mechanism things. On the dark colors it might blend in better I'm sure.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chain

chain

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, you are not alone. I completely despise the new soft top. I don't like the way it folds and I miss the zippers. I ended up getting a Sunrider for Hard Top. This is probably how I will ride year round until a vendor comes up with a better solution for the JL.

image1.JPG
I have to admit, I don't understand the sunrider top for a hard top. The panels come out so easy I guess I don't get the point.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
I love the new top, far more superior and quieter than the wet noodle of the JK era. Because of how well the top functions is why I ordered soft top only

7EC6EB35-2B92-4D08-9B83-626ED1C12BC0.jpeg

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
We have a new Rubicon on order and had planned to order it with the soft top. After test driving a couple I wanted to see how the new top went down. I must say I like how the windows come out instead of using zippers. What I don't like is the bulky things mounted on the roll bars. I think they are ugly as can be and don't understand how someone could look at that and say "We got it! That's it!". Mean to tell me you couldn't come up with something better than that? I also think it looks weird without the windows how the back just floats on its own. In the end we decided to order a hard top and wait to see what the aftermarket comes up with for a soft top. I personally much prefer the soft top on the JK. Not knocking anyone's choice as we all have different opinions. Just wondering what others think of the JL soft top.
I guess youre a form over function kind of guy.

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
I'm With you on this one. I love how it's so much more functional now but hate the look of the soft top attached to the roll bars. Does it detach easily from the bars? If possible I would definitely take that extra step when lowering it so i can have it lie flat like the JK....

When it lies flat like in the JK it looks like it's down and adds a nice contrasting angle to the roll cage. On the JL is just looks, Incomplete (if that makes sense) like you left it half on half on. It also takes away from the look of the roll bar. it would look much cleaner fully down.
Sponsored