Sponsored

Anyone else thinking about axles?

AFdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
I’m pushing the idea around of building for the future. With dreams of doing difficult trails with my 392, I can’t help but wonder if pushing a heavy set of 37’s (113lbs per corner) is going to be too much for the stock axles.

So I ask, is anyone considering 60’s or maybe something like a Pro Rock 44 and some upgraded shafts front and rear?

What is the more worthwhile spend, 60’s or beefed up 44’s?
Sponsored

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
People seem to be ok with the 44s and 37s. I would resist bouncing it off an obstacle unless you absolutely had to. If you were going to upgrade, I wouldn't waste money on the built up 44s. There are some good ones out there, but consider the power output on your 392. I would rather be riding on full float axles. I have a 392 swap due in Oct. I too will be playing nicely for a bit. I will be saving for either UD60's or a 60/80 combo and then finally going to lift it and ditch the 35s.

As far as how soon you will need them depends on how quickly you want to move into the difficult trails.

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
If you upgrade only real choice would be full float in my mind. I put a semi float in my JK ad have regretted it every since. if your going to spend the money go all in.

Not cheap to do. You will need axles, drive shafts, wheels and it adds weight to the Jeep. But If your doing difficult trails you will probably need them to do it reliably.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I wheel my Jeep hard. I have twisted the stock axles. I replaced the rear axles with Yukon chrome Molly heavy duty axles and replaced the front axle shaft with RCV axles. Then also upgraded the front ball joints with the Dynatrack heavy duty ball joints and did the full Steer Smart front steering components upgrade. Then throw in the re-gear of the axles, and I am over $6000 into the stock axles.

I should have just swapped out the stock axles, put the axles up for sale (normally sell for about $4,000). That would have put me $10,000 toward the axle upgrades to one tons. Tougher axles, bigger brakes..... hindsight is 20/20.....

Should have listen to my wife when she said we need one tons.

OP
OP
AFdude

AFdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
People seem to be ok with the 44s and 37s. I would resist bouncing it off an obstacle unless you absolutely had to. If you were going to upgrade, I wouldn't waste money on the built up 44s. There are some good ones out there, but consider the power output on your 392. I would rather be riding on full float axles. I have a 392 swap due in Oct. I too will be playing nicely for a bit. I will be saving for either UD60's or a 60/80 combo and then finally going to lift it and ditch the 35s.

As far as how soon you will need them depends on how quickly you want to move into the difficult trails.
That raises another question. I’m currently sitting on 1” Tereflex suspension spacers to provide some lift for the trails and all it seems to have done is made things stiff. It’s just a bandaid until Metal Cloak or another manufacturer releases a suspension for the 392.
So does it makes sense to wait until the axles get installed, then do suspension so you can have proper measurement of the drive shafts?

Sponsored

beckbuilt

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392, 18 JLUS
I'm currently swapping in Dynatrac XD60's in my 392. I want to be able to use the V8 power in 2WD without worrying about breaking parts.

I agree with the others, it's not worth the money to build up a D44 if you plan on big tires and using it offroad.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
I would take a strong and hard look into the Fusion Pro Fab 10" axles.
You will have the best clearance, weight, and strength over any D60. Comes with awesome steering. If you manage to break them, you deserve an award.

You could totally do axles before suspension if you don't plan to do a massive change in lift height. Shouldn't be an issue since the 392 is already up and you do have spacers. So if you add say 2" to that you will be fine. This would translate to a 3.5" lift OVER a stock non 392 Rubicon which would let you run 40's if you were so inclined.

Bluewaveaudio

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392, Hydro blue
Occupation
Chief Inspector
Vehicle Showcase
already ordered dynatrack 60/80 with 4.88s

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I've broken front axles twice with a piddly little 2.0L on 35's with D44's.

All you need is to be on the gas spinning a little and find grip suddenly and that 392 will twist or snap the D44 axles without any hesitation.

I'd listen to @wibornz on this one.....

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I've broken front axles twice with a piddly little 2.0L on 35's with D44's.

All you need is to be on the gas spinning a little and find grip suddenly and that 392 will twist or snap the D44 axles without any hesitation.

I'd listen to @wibornz on this one.....
I'm guessing the 392's output is de-rated as F in 4WD, even Jeep isn't stupid enough to throw V8 power in front of D44's, or are they?

Sponsored

beckbuilt

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392, 18 JLUS
I'm guessing the 392's output is de-rated as F in 4WD, even Jeep isn't stupid enough to throw V8 power in front of D44's, or are they?
The 392 is full time 4x4 unless you mod it with a Tazer or locking hubs.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
The 392 is full time 4x4 unless you mod it with a Tazer or locking hubs.
Yup, and I'm betting it's de-rated every time that full time 4WD kicks in. I could be wrong but the only way to really know would be to dyno it with it forced into 4WD on an AWD dyno.

OP
OP
AFdude

AFdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
Maybe it’s to save the T Case? What do you guys think? Will that be the LIMFAC for the rest of the drive train after you upgrade axles? The tranny seems stout.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Maybe it’s to save the T Case? What do you guys think? Will that be the LIMFAC for the rest of the drive train after you upgrade axles? The tranny seems stout.
I seriously doubt the engine gets de-tuned to lower power when in 4x4.
Sponsored