Sponsored

Anyone else think the “charge” mode in e-select is a joke??

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I still think that the number of owners trying to turn their 4xe into an EV is the joke.
The 4xe works really well for some people but isn’t for everyone. I’m puzzled by the number of people who write it off as a joke just because it doesn’t work for them.
Sponsored

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
I don't understand the e-save mode in most instances. I've never used it. How does it charge the battery, through Regen or using the gas engine? If it uses the gas engine, why would you want to do that?
I'm looking to understand the system better and to try to understand why I would use the e-save charge mode.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
I don't understand the e-save mode in most instances. I've never used it. How does it charge the battery, through Regen or using the gas engine? If it uses the gas engine, why would you want to do that?
I'm looking to understand the system better and to try to understand why I would use the e-save charge mode.
It charges using the engine. The primary reason is if you want to have charge at your destination to run in electric, and are starting at a low state of charge. Say, doing a trail in the AM in electric, then driving for a while recharging to another trail to run in electric. It's useful if your motivation for being in electric isn't for fuel efficiency.

If you're using the engine to charge so you can run in electric to try to save fuel, you're being counterproductive.

bossboy302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Correct. Also think e-save is intended to allow one to drive (with a fully charged battery) to your chosen trail (or wherever) with ICE only, thus arriving with a 'still fully charged' battery.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
Also think e-save is intended to allow one to drive (with a fully charged battery) to your chosen trail (or wherever) with ICE only, thus arriving with a 'still fully charged' battery.
Yup... which makes total sense if you think of the 4xe in the context of being a wrangler and not in the context of being a prius.

Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara

The way I use e-save, is to warm up the ICE and cabin when the temps were really cold -5C.

I also use it if I am going to be on the highway for 20KM+ and it's flowing traffic, that way I don't have 0% battery when I exit and I am in bumper to bumper traffic driving in ICE.

Other than that I am always in hybrid and let the 4xe do it's thing. I also stopped using Max Regen unless I am in bumper to bumper.

Beardedgator

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBICON
Im looking at getting one and i dont pay for my gas. but at the end of the day it's 7500 off MSRP with the tax credit and you're left with a jeep with 370 horses and 470 lb/ft of torque.. what are we complaining about? do people actually think they are going to stop paying for gas?
Sponsored