Sponsored

Anyone else go for the Rubicon over Sport S....just because?

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
It seems odd that you are not considering a Sahara. It is the middle model the sport is the lowest. The chasm between the Sport and Rubicon are pretty wide.
I can only speak for my rationale, but Ive never been a Sahara guy, and no that isn't a bash it is a great package...but to me, I prefer to have a more rugged overall build with the wrangler and the way I would option a Sahara and then have to add an aggressive tire/wheel package it wouldn't save me any money.
Sponsored

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
I can only speak for my rationale, but Ive never been a Sahara guy, and no that isn't a bash it is a great package...but to me, I prefer to have a more rugged overall build with the wrangler and the way I would option a Sahara and then have to add an aggressive tire/wheel package it wouldn't save me any money.
True, the Sahara can get to 50k quickly. The Sahara name always seemed odd to me as being second on the rung. Just curious. I do like the new traction feature the Sahara has as an option. Not sure it is available on the base model Wrangler though.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Have built up a few Jeeps, sports and Sahara’s. Never owned a rubi until now. Just finally figured let’s get the big guy and not “have” to make any immediate changes. May do some upgrades over time but it is one bad ass Jeep right off the line.

DesertDuck

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2̶0̶1̶8̶ ̶J̶e̶e̶p̶ ̶W̶r̶a̶n̶g̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶U̶n̶l̶i̶m̶i̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶R̶u̶b̶i̶c̶o̶n̶ 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I've never owned a Jeep before, so I figured that if I was going to get one I might as well get the Rubicon. I didn't want to settle on the Sport S and regret it later on. Will I ever use the Rubicon to its full capacity? Probably not. But I like knowing its ready for whatever I bring its way.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
It seems odd that you are not considering a Sahara. It is the middle model the sport is the lowest. The chasm between the Sport and Rubicon are pretty wide.
Interesting post, but I totally get him on this. Tbh, I only like the look of the Base Sport and the Rubicon. The Sport S is not my style because I'm not feeling those wheels...and all the extra technology inside and the Sahara, for me isn't worth the additional amount for the looks of it. The Rubicon, however is totally HAWT IMO and has much more to offer than the rest. But ye, that Base Sport Black wheels, Black hard top, Black fenders with that Mojito! paint job is just amazingggg. I actually can't believe that what I wanted was the cheapest option!

@phatjoe But ye, whatever floats your boat! You'll be paying the notes, we won't! So make sure it's something you can smile about every time you step in it :)

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Interesting post, but I totally get him on this. Tbh, I only like the look of the Base Sport and the Rubicon. The Sport S is not my style because I'm not feeling those wheels...and all the extra technology inside and the Sahara, for me isn't worth the additional amount for the looks of it. The Rubicon, however is totally HAWT IMO and has much more to offer than the rest. But ye, that Base Sport Black wheels, Black hard top, Black fenders with that Mojito! paint job is just amazingggg. I actually can't believe that what I wanted was the cheapest option!

@phatjoe But ye, whatever floats your boat! You'll be paying the notes, we won't! So make sure it's something you can smile about every time you step in it :)
I think they could have made sport S a better buy with some gearing options for those planning on going to bigger tires asap.

Both the sport s and Rubi can get out of hand on pricing with options.

I like either:
- Loaded base sport: limited slip + ac/tint + hard top
- min sport s: limited slip + hard top
- min Rubi: Hard top

the msrp swing of 28k on a sport JL to 55k+ on a load jlu is a bit much.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
- Loaded base sport: limited slip + ac/tint + hard top...
the msrp swing of 28k on a sport JL to 55k+ on a load jlu is a bit much.
Yes! Those are the two things that I wish I would've ordered: Slip & tint.

Plan to get my tint done soon...this heat tho...

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
Hey,

Dealer is willing to do $34.7k on a Sport S unlimited (msrp $39.7k), and $44k on a Rubicon unlimited (msrp of $50.5k).

My rig will not be taken off-road (but if it does happen very very easy trails...dirt roads with ruts). I plan on a 2" lift, 35s (I'm aware the Rubi doesn't need a lift for 35s).

The Sport S fits my needs....but I can't be the only one who opted for the Rubicon. I feel like I'm missing out on something by not putting myself in an additional 10k in debt. :)

I know there's a few threads comparing the resale value of the Sport S vs the Rubicon. Doesn't bother me because they both will hold their value very well.

This is a silly post, but I can't be the only one in this predicament. I'm hoping someone can share a few clever reasons why they opted for the Rubicon over the Sport S....maybe it will help me feel better about it. My goal is to make a decision by tomorrow.

thanks

stingray gray.JPG

silver.JPG
So what did you decide?

Steamboat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Volvo XC90
I’m in the same crowd that ordered a Rubi although I don’t need it at all. I probably sill never take it off road. I just like the way it looks better. I also have a bad case of FOMO so I didn’t want to miss out on anything if I DID take it off-roading, nor did I want to run into anyone that had some feature that I didn’t. It is stupid, I know but it’s what I wanted.

18RedRubi

First Name
Rebecca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I went for the rubi just because of the painted fenders and the red dash. The factory 2.5 lift on it was also a plus! I will never drive her off road but it’s nice to have the extras. There is really no comparison to the sport and Rubicon. I would definitely always pick the Rubi over the sport. You will end up spending that much difference in a lift and wheels and bigger tires.

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I actually ordered a 2 door rubicon and am trading in my 4 door Sport S. I realized for the upgrades I wanted to do to the sport s (LED lights, soft top, (I already added rubicon wheels and suspension), and others that I would get more bang for my buck by getting the rubicon. Plus the rubicon comes with the 4.10 axle which should help with the 35" tires and bigger brakes. It also looks like yours already has the LED package and steel bumper.

If I were you I would figure out the price of each given any current and future upgrades you would want to do to them, and then see which one offers the better price in the long run.
Why did you go 2 door instead of your previous 4 door?

95Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My apologies to the original poster if I'm high-jacking your post. I'm in the same dilemma, and instead of creating another new thread, I figured I'd post it here.

I finally overcame the hurdles of 2 vs 4 door, manual vs auto, painted vs unpainted fender. The last hurdle . . . I can't flippin' decide whether to go with a Sport S JLU or a Rubi JLU! The price difference is about $5805 based on the following options below. I'm leaning more toward the Rubi "just because," correct me if I'm wrong:
  • Better resale value
  • More off road capabilities (I don't plan on rock crawling, but it's there if needed)
  • I get the painted fender and LED options
  • It's better looking than the Sport S JLU!

Is $5805 worth it based on the reasons above?

Thank you!

------

$41,945 SPORT S JLU with Options:
  • $2000 8-Speed Automatic
  • $595 Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
  • $995 Technology Group
  • $795 Trailer Tow HD and Electrical Group
  • $695 Tubular sidesteps
  • $1095 Black Freedom 3-piece Hardtop
  • $130 All Weather Floor Mats
----------

$47,750 Rubicon JLU with Options:
  • $2000 8-Speed automatic
  • $895 LED lighting group
  • $795 Trailer Tow HD and Electrical Group
  • $1095 Black Freedom 3-piece Hardtop
  • $395 Painted fenders
  • $130 All weather floor mats

Vipersnake

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLRU
I chose Rubicon because the sport looks horrible imo. Sorry to be blunt but to me it looks like theres a $25,000 price difference lol The Rubicon looks a thousand times better and some people may not have the money to upgrade but I'd say its soooooooo worth it to get a Rubicon over a sport!

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I'm another one that got a (fairly loaded) Rubi just because. Thought it looked better and got the look I wanted with less effort.

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Why did you go 2 door instead of your previous 4 door?
I was originally interested in the 2 door but at the time they weren't even making them. I didn't join this forum until after I purchased the 4 door and found out they could be ordered.
Sponsored