Sponsored

Anyone else go for the Rubicon over Sport S....just because?

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I haven't ordered (yet), but will more than likely wind up with a 2 door Rubicon.

If I wanted to be practical I wouldn't get a Wrangler.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't ordered (yet), but will more than likely wind up with a 2 door Rubicon.

If I wanted to be practical I wouldn't get a Wrangler.
I think its no less practical than any other SUV on the road. In fact more practical than a Suburban or an Expedition (Unless you need that third row seat or the towing capacity). The Wrangler had much better fuel mileage and a much lower price.

And on top of that is an outstanding performer off the pavement.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If you know you're not going off road, then what does the Rubicon offer that still appeals? The tires? The axle ratio? Those are the only two things that are different that affect on road driving.

I'd keep the $10,000 in the bank and build a Sport S. Make it yours, unique to you, and have all that cash saved for other things.

This is actually better advice for the rock crawling offroad crowd too...because if you sink $10,000 into a Sport you can smoke a Rubicon on any trail in America.

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
A couple of "just because" reasons I got a Rubicon are:
A) Some options I wanted weren't available on the Sport
B) The suspension, high fenders, and 33" tires remove the need to "upgrade" the Sport's appearance
The way I saw it was that the Rubicon I had built cost $6K more than the Sport S I would have built. But, the Rubicon came with more options I wanted for that price and saved me at least $3K on up upgrading the wheels and tires.

RAUL JACK

First Name
JAIME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL
Hey,

Dealer is willing to do $34.7k on a Sport S unlimited (msrp $39.7k), and $44k on a Rubicon unlimited (msrp of $50.5k).

My rig will not be taken off-road (but if it does happen very very easy trails...dirt roads with ruts). I plan on a 2" lift, 35s (I'm aware the Rubi doesn't need a lift for 35s).

The Sport S fits my needs....but I can't be the only one who opted for the Rubicon. I feel like I'm missing out on something by not putting myself in an additional 10k in debt. :)

I know there's a few threads comparing the resale value of the Sport S vs the Rubicon. Doesn't bother me because they both will hold their value very well.

This is a silly post, but I can't be the only one in this predicament. I'm hoping someone can share a few clever reasons why they opted for the Rubicon over the Sport S....maybe it will help me feel better about it. My goal is to make a decision by tomorrow.

thanks

stingray gray.JPG

silver.JPG
what dealer is selling for 5k under msrp

Sponsored

Simon311

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Rubicon, Ocean Blue, 6spd
Occupation
Real Estate
A couple of "just because" reasons I got a Rubicon are:
A) Some options I wanted weren't available on the Sport
B) The suspension, high fenders, and 33" tires remove the need to "upgrade" the Sport's appearance
The way I saw it was that the Rubicon I had built cost $6K more than the Sport S I would have built. But, the Rubicon came with more options I wanted for that price and saved me at least $3K on up upgrading the wheels and tires.
Plus the rubicon has the awesome hood which is a great look!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I got the rubicon because I wanted leather seats, the 8.4" Uconnect, and the rubicon hood. I won't be replacing this jeep for a decade or so, so I feel that it should be the best I could get at the time.

JayD1056

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 1995 Pontiac TransAm, 2019 Mini Cooper
Going for Sahara for LSD and Selec-Trac. We do lots of snow trips and I’ll get way more use out of that option than lockers and sway bars.

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
I think, if I didn't plan to do any off-roading, that I'd go for a Sahara instead. However, thanks for you and all the others that buy a Rubi just because - Jeep can make them cheaper due to volume and keeps adding capability, even if a lot of owners never use it. I use all of the factory off-road stuff, so I tip my hat to you for helping Jeep justify making them - and for making them with all of the lux options as they make a sweet DD.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Hey,

Dealer is willing to do $34.7k on a Sport S unlimited (msrp $39.7k), and $44k on a Rubicon unlimited (msrp of $50.5k).

My rig will not be taken off-road (but if it does happen very very easy trails...dirt roads with ruts). I plan on a 2" lift, 35s (I'm aware the Rubi doesn't need a lift for 35s).

The Sport S fits my needs....but I can't be the only one who opted for the Rubicon. I feel like I'm missing out on something by not putting myself in an additional 10k in debt. :)

I know there's a few threads comparing the resale value of the Sport S vs the Rubicon. Doesn't bother me because they both will hold their value very well.

This is a silly post, but I can't be the only one in this predicament. I'm hoping someone can share a few clever reasons why they opted for the Rubicon over the Sport S....maybe it will help me feel better about it. My goal is to make a decision by tomorrow.

thanks

stingray gray.JPG

silver.JPG
I am opposite of most posters, I have never owned a Rubicon and I do a pretty good amount of off-roading - most that buy a Rubicon will never use or need the off-road capabilities/features, in fact most wont need anything more than a sport level for off-roading.

Mainly personal preferences / finances / and creature comfort needs.

Sponsored

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I’ve had a ton of Wranglers, but until now I hadnt owned a Rubi, I don’t need one, but I wanted one and I found myself changing stuff on my old rigs to mirror what is available on the Rubicon.... This time around it wasnt a question, loaded out Rubi and I have zero regrets, it was certainly the right choice for me.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
It seems odd that you are not considering a Sahara. It is the middle model the sport is the lowest. The chasm between the Sport and Rubicon are pretty wide.

GTXcellent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Plymouth GTX, 1988 F150 (beater farm truck), 2012 F150 SuperCrew, 2016 Chevrolet SS, 2018 JLU Rubicon
We only need 4 wheel drive and ground clearance for blasting through the big snowdrifts we get 6 months out of the year. That being said, we opted for the Rubicon because of the look - the hood, the red dash, the 33" BFGs - everything about it looks cool. A Sport or Sahara would have done everything we needed, but it's what we wanted.

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hey,

thanks

stingray gray.JPG

silver.JPG
I was in the same position as you, knowing practically that I really only needed a sport but really wanted the Rubicon. I went with the Rubicon for the main reason is that it was what I "really" wanted. I wanted an aggressive looking jeep without having to do a lot of after market upgrades. I love the Rubicon hood, I love the higher fenders and I love the extra off road capabilities that come standard that I may not even use lol. I bought my Rubicon with no plan of upgrading tire size or rims. I was completely happy with it stock and then I saw how much Sport owners where paying for Rubicon take off wheels and rims and I couldn't stop myself from selling them and replacing them with 35s and Fuel Stroke rims. I couldn't be happier with my decision. I am also in the position where the extra money wasn't going to hurt me. With that I would say that you should go with what you want even if it isn't the most practical decision as long as it doesn't cripple you financially.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I am under no illusions that I need the Rubicon's off road capabilities, nor did I have any legitimate reason to get 35" KO2's installed. I just liked the looks, and was able to sell the takeoffs for nearly the full price of the new tires.
Sponsored