Sponsored

Anyone else find the headrests intrusive?

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
They don’t bother me a bit driving. They are horrible for reclining the seat and trying to take a nap though.

OP
OP
Ehmsea

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
Well, thank you all for your thoughtful replies. The headrest just touches the back of my hair while I drive, but I think my wife has her seatback up just a bit fwd of mine, that's probably the difference. For those of you who have managed to bend the posts, how did you do that exactly? Vise and a pipe wrench?

Also, someone mentioned the interference with a ponytail...made me chuckle. My wife has trouble riding in the camaro with a pony tail. She ends up moving the Knot to one side kinda like the girl from Napoleon Dynamite...note to husbands/boyfriends: DO NOT BRING THIS UP! :punch:

i was hoping she'd move to more of a princess leia look, but that is slow developing to say the least... :involve:

Cheers!

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I am over 22K miles and the annoyance of the head rests are still an issue. I am going to have to bend the bars so I get an extra inch. I think I have tried every possible seat position possible. People with pony tails or clips in their hair have the biggest issue. Wearing a baseball cap is not really comfortable in the JL. Then again...it could be my large head... or I am out side of the design profile.
Have you found a way to bend the bars? I'd like another inch of space in the front and rear headrests. The rear headrests are especially awful for carseats as they hit them.

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
I found that raising the headrest to it's top setting makes a big difference. It's the same in most new cars and trucks.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
The KJ headrests can sort of fit in the JL seats. The KJ headrest rods are a little narrower and the ratcheting mechanism won’t work if inserted. But they can be used. I ended up going back to the JL headrests because the KJ headrests weren’t a perfect fit.

Al13

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
My wife and I use the neck pillow when one of us sleeps while the other is driving. It’s the type you use when flying.

allieboy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Feels a bit silly for my first post, but I guess I need to start somewhere. The front headrests in the JLUR seem to be angled toward the front to such a degree that it is causing my wife some back/neck pain. I looked at them (probably for the first time) and see that they are far from straight up and down (with respect to the seatback) or tilted slightly forward. They are really fwd.

I checked the manual to see if there was a way to adjust the headrest angle but it is fixed in this position.

I understand the purpose of the headrest to prevent serious head/neck injury via whiplash, but it seems a bit too far IMO...

Anyone else notice this or have a family member bring this up, or is this just me. Anyone have a solution in mind? I thought about maybe checking out a headrest from a JK to see if it fits and if so, maybe having it done in black leather w/ red stitching to match the seats...

I'm sure alot of you will laugh this one off, but at least I didn't call it a car...
:)
Anyone have a hacksaw?

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I took a 5' tall guest on a long ride. They had to sit in the back seat. They chose to sit in the middle seat just to avoid the rear seat headrests.

Sponsored

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
After reading several threads on this I’m convinced preferred seating position and posture are the determining factors.

I tried a few different ways to bend mine last night. Those things are friggin tough, especially for being hollow. I was surprised that the posts are actually one continues rod (if you blow in one end you’ll see). There are videos on Youtube of people using a car jack to bend them. I’m hoping not to have to resort to that.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Because you are only 5'8" tall. I'm 6' tall and find the headrest to be a PITA.
Well I'm 6'3" and my head is OVER the headreast and it doesn't bother me at all.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Well I'm 6'3" and my head is OVER the headreast and it doesn't bother me at all.
This could be dangerous in an accident. The head restraint should be adjusted so that its top lines up with the top of your head or as close to it as possible.

If this is uncomfortable, the best remedy is to tilt the seat back just a little, as others have recommended.

SpringsJL

First Name
Cage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
At 6’1 & big melon head the headrest tilts my head down when back all the way. Leaning seat back helps some but not enough.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just drove 850 miles, 12 hours yesterday. Seat was comfortable and headrest didn't touch my head, I had to push back for it to touch.
Been looking at other vehicles since this thread started and many have a forward leaning headrest. Maybe crash testing showed too much space between head and headrest leads to more neck injury. Or the headrest designers are making a fashion statement.
Sponsored