Sponsored

Anyone else find the headrests intrusive?

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
Feels a bit silly for my first post, but I guess I need to start somewhere. The front headrests in the JLUR seem to be angled toward the front to such a degree that it is causing my wife some back/neck pain. I looked at them (probably for the first time) and see that they are far from straight up and down (with respect to the seatback) or tilted slightly forward. They are really fwd.

I checked the manual to see if there was a way to adjust the headrest angle but it is fixed in this position.

I understand the purpose of the headrest to prevent serious head/neck injury via whiplash, but it seems a bit too far IMO...

Anyone else notice this or have a family member bring this up, or is this just me. Anyone have a solution in mind? I thought about maybe checking out a headrest from a JK to see if it fits and if so, maybe having it done in black leather w/ red stitching to match the seats...

I'm sure alot of you will laugh this one off, but at least I didn't call it a car...
:)
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
They don't really bother me. But I don't think JK and JL headrests are interchangeable. Here's pics of the JK headrest with measurements I took for another member.

IMG_20190217_113837462.jpg

IMG_20190217_113800760.jpg

IMG_20190217_113823130.jpg

IMG_20190217_113807765.jpg

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Iā€™m sure that your wifeā€™s issue is real. I trust that you find a remedy in short time.

I have not had any issues with the driverā€™s head rest in the nearly 3 months and some 6,000 miles of ownership. I have not had any of my front seat passengers comment on them either.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I do know the headrests suck when I recline/sleep when hubby drives. I kind of have to cock my head to the side to avoid the rest. But in the upright position, I'm fine with them.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Feels a bit silly for my first post, but I guess I need to start somewhere. The front headrests in the JLUR seem to be angled toward the front to such a degree that it is causing my wife some back/neck pain. I looked at them (probably for the first time) and see that they are far from straight up and down (with respect to the seatback) or tilted slightly forward. They are really fwd.

I checked the manual to see if there was a way to adjust the headrest angle but it is fixed in this position.

I understand the purpose of the headrest to prevent serious head/neck injury via whiplash, but it seems a bit too far IMO...

Anyone else notice this or have a family member bring this up, or is this just me. Anyone have a solution in mind? I thought about maybe checking out a headrest from a JK to see if it fits and if so, maybe having it done in black leather w/ red stitching to match the seats...

I'm sure alot of you will laugh this one off, but at least I didn't call it a car...
I don't find the front bad but wish the tears folded back rather than forward.

Sponsored

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon

Not silly at all. I wonder if one of those small neck pillow things that you strap onto the head rest would work. That, and then recline the entire seat just a bit.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
Although this is a violation of the Wrangler manual, I had to pull the headrests all the way out and reverse them. They now angle to the rear.
This is good for for the 5'6" wife, but if I ever get rear ended, my neck will crack like a whip.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I don't like the front headrests (yeah, I know... head "restraints"). They were designed by lawyers, not someone trained in proper ergonomics. Some folks have removed the headrests and bent the posts.

bilcol81

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Retired
Yes. I had to put the headrest all the way up so it didn't touch the back of my head.

trail_runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Forester XT Touring, 2019 Granite Crystal Metallic JLUR
Agreed, they are angled too forward for my taste. I wish the head restraints/headrests were adjustable. My wife has a '17 Subaru Forester XT, and those headrests are adjustable to different angles for comfort, while remaining compliant with safety standards.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
You might tilt the seat BACK a little more and don't "REST" the back of your head on the restraint !-

I'm afraid that REVERSING the headrest will NEGATE any insurance coverage !

W.E.

JIMBO

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

It isn't just you. Other threads mention this exactly. You can pull the head rests completely out and reverse it. However, this might be bad in case of an accident.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
18k+ miles and no complaints from me, I'll pay more attention to them on the drive home today and see if I noticed anything uncomfortable

dms541

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Was just thinking about how poorly designed the headrests are last night. I feel like they might actually cause an injury in an accident rather than preventing one. Seriously, smack your head back against it and see how awkward the angle your neck takes. It pushes your head forward while your neck bends and shoulders go back. Would not be surprised if this ends up in a recall after a few unfortunate circumstances. They really should have included angle adjustment.
Sponsored