Sponsored

Anyone else find the headrests intrusive?

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
At 6’1 & big melon head the headrest tilts my head down when back all the way. Leaning seat back helps some but not enough.
Same here. Looks like 6'1" is the grey area where no matter how you position the seat back and headrest, the edge the rest rubs your scalp and makes you drop your head forward while you drive. I've had a few complaints from passengers too.

This all because of some law about headrest position. My 2011 Subaru Forester was the same as the JL. But my 2008 Nissan Frontier was just about perfect -- and every car before that too, including my old YJ, Cherokee and Liberty.
Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Feels a bit silly for my first post, but I guess I need to start somewhere. The front headrests in the JLUR seem to be angled toward the front to such a degree that it is causing my wife some back/neck pain. I looked at them (probably for the first time) and see that they are far from straight up and down (with respect to the seatback) or tilted slightly forward. They are really fwd.

I checked the manual to see if there was a way to adjust the headrest angle but it is fixed in this position.

I understand the purpose of the headrest to prevent serious head/neck injury via whiplash, but it seems a bit too far IMO...

Anyone else notice this or have a family member bring this up, or is this just me. Anyone have a solution in mind? I thought about maybe checking out a headrest from a JK to see if it fits and if so, maybe having it done in black leather w/ red stitching to match the seats...

I'm sure alot of you will laugh this one off, but at least I didn't call it a car...
:)

Didn’t read the entire thread, but in answer to the topical question, yes, I found them intrusive.

And annoying.

I pulled them off and put them in the pile of stuff I will never need again until I trade my Jeep in.

I’ll start a new pile then.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I angle my seat back so that I'm COMFORTABLE/VISION/LEGS/NECK and my head never touch's the headrest, so I don't G>A>S> about the "INTRUSIVENESS"-

W.E.

JIMBO

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This all because of some law about headrest position. My 2011 Subaru Forester was the same as the JL. But my 2008 Nissan Frontier was just about perfect -- and every car before that too, including my old YJ, Cherokee and Liberty.
I haven't seen any laws.
The head restraints in my wife's 2018 CRV and the one's in my previous 2013 and 2016 vehicles were completely non-intrusive.

Luekutus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler jL Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Explorer, Adventurer, Armchair Biologist, and (Former) Software Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
YES! I like having my seat upright, but when I try to do that the JL head forces my chin to my chest. I can't help but think in an accident it would snap my neck rather than prevent whiplash.

Sponsored

Jeffy77

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Feels a bit silly for my first post, but I guess I need to start somewhere. The front headrests in the JLUR seem to be angled toward the front to such a degree that it is causing my wife some back/neck pain. I looked at them (probably for the first time) and see that they are far from straight up and down (with respect to the seatback) or tilted slightly forward. They are really fwd.

I checked the manual to see if there was a way to adjust the headrest angle but it is fixed in this position.

I understand the purpose of the headrest to prevent serious head/neck injury via whiplash, but it seems a bit too far IMO...

Anyone else notice this or have a family member bring this up, or is this just me. Anyone have a solution in mind? I thought about maybe checking out a headrest from a JK to see if it fits and if so, maybe having it done in black leather w/ red stitching to match the seats...

I'm sure alot of you will laugh this one off, but at least I didn't call it a car...
:)
I like to sit upright and have the same problem with the JK and JL. My JK, I just removed the headrest completely. It was so uncomfortable. I just got my new JL and will most likely do the same.

TheMAnderson

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L (sold), 2022 Tundra Limited Hybrid
Totally agree. This isn't a matter of size/weight. It's only the people that are on the extreme short or extreme tall end of the spectrum this might not affect. Anyone whose head touches the headrest will have their neck bent at an extreme angle in a collision. Whether or not a person finds the headrest "comfortable" in normal operation is besides the point.

5'10", 190lbs
Actually, I think it's even worse for tall people... I'm 6'4" and the headrest, in top position, catches my head right in the middle, so it probably pushes my head even farther forward than those who are shorter - and it causes pain in the back of my neck and shoulders. I've reversed it for now to avoid this, and looking into how to bend to make it more comfortable.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
YES! I like having my seat upright, but when I try to do that the JL head forces my chin to my chest. I can't help but think in an accident it would snap my neck rather than prevent whiplash.
Exactly. I bet jeep is in league with insurance companies who'd rather see people die from a snapped neck then to pay out medical claims for the rest of their disabled life.

Last edited:

PBosch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon XR
Actually, I think it's even worse for tall people... I'm 6'4" and the headrest, in top position, catches my head right in the middle, so it probably pushes my head even farther forward than those who are shorter - and it causes pain in the back of my neck and shoulders. I've reversed it for now to avoid this, and looking into how to bend to make it more comfortable.
The head restraints are designed strictly off of crash test dummy data. The more modern a vehicle is, the more they are slanted forward for better crash test results and insurance standings. I hate them in the majority of newer vehicles. I'm 5-10. I look over at other people who ride in my vehicle (that have no issue), and you can literally see their neck and head are jutted forward in rather odd position that I doubt it is in when watching say a football game in their living room or eating lunch in a burger joint. I am considering after market seats that are not so crazy in their forward slant - Corbeau GTS II as an example.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Pop them off and turn then around. Problem solved and looks correct.
That's what I did, and do with my pickup too. It gets old quick when you can't move your head around when driving.

Don't warn me about whiplash or safety. I know the risks and have taken more than my fair share in this life. It woks for me. I don't recommended it for those who are concerned about dying in a fender bender.

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Anyone try bending the rods that the headrest attaches to?
If so how did you accomplish it?
Sponsored