Sponsored

Anyone else considering trading their 392 for a 392XR?

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Any suggestions as to where I can get more for it?
Try givemethevin.com they offered me the most when I was looking out of curiosity a couple weeks ago. They will also work with dealers to let you use their offer as the trade allowance to help you with the sales tax and then they buy it from the dL dealer for that price so it helps you and the dealer.
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Imho -

- the Mopar spare enforcement on the XR isnā€™t the carrier you want. Better options out there. No contest. The Mopar carrier does nothing for the hinges, for one.

- the XR tires and wheels would not be my pick. Sure They look fine, but quality choices abound. They are heavy. Unless you go very hard, real bead-locks arenā€™t necessary, or legal in most (all?) states for hwy.

- your dealership will regear you under warranty. So I am told.

- XR may have less desirable shocks (not fox), I donā€™t think itā€™s clear yet.

Imho youā€™re much better off adding 35s and wheels you want, spare carrier, and then consider if regearing is needed / wanted.

biased opinion bc this is what I did, but it doesnā€™t make me wrong.šŸ˜€ I wonā€™t regear until/unless 37s.

Iā€™d hate to be without mine and waiting another 6 months on order, and hoping for no issues with the next one.
IMO, the gearing was the reason I went for the XR. IMO, doubt a dealer would be able to honor warranty regearing an axle if something went wrong. That $ amount would likely have to go through regional.

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Imho -

- the Mopar spare enforcement on the XR isnā€™t the carrier you want. Better options out there. No contest. The Mopar carrier does nothing for the hinges, for one.

- the XR tires and wheels would not be my pick. Sure They look fine, but quality choices abound. They are heavy. Unless you go very hard, real bead-locks arenā€™t necessary, or legal in most (all?) states for hwy.

- your dealership will regear you under warranty. So I am told.

- XR may have less desirable shocks (not fox), I donā€™t think itā€™s clear yet.

Imho youā€™re much better off adding 35s and wheels you want, spare carrier, and then consider if regearing is needed / wanted.

biased opinion bc this is what I did, but it doesnā€™t make me wrong.šŸ˜€ I wonā€™t regear until/unless 37s.

Iā€™d hate to be without mine and waiting another 6 months on order, and hoping for no issues with the next one.
Only a couple states (canā€™t remember which ones off the top of my head) actual have any law written about beadlocks being illegal. Most have nothing. Which means itā€™s a gray area. Not specifically said to be illegal Or legal. So only real issue would be if the beadlock ring failed while driving and you wrecked into another vehicle their lawyer might use that against you in a lawsuit. Doesnā€™t mean they would win but theyā€™d try it. Proper maintenance and torque checks would help prevent that unlikely scenario.

my Jeep dealer is very mod friendly but said that my axle warranty would be void if I regear. Even if they did it. The rest of the warranty would be fine. Same for lift.None of my suspension is under Mopar warranty. But the rest of my Jeep is ok. They said keep it under 4ā€ lift and 37ā€ tires or smaller. Iā€™ve known the service adviser 34 years. No reason for him to lie to me lol.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Samā€™s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Only a couple states (canā€™t remember which ones off the top of my head) actual have any law written about beadlocks being illegal. Most have nothing. Which means itā€™s a gray area. Not specifically said to be illegal Or legal. So only real issue would be if the beadlock ring failed while driving and you wrecked into another vehicle their lawyer might use that against you in a lawsuit. Doesnā€™t mean they would win but theyā€™d try it. Proper maintenance and torque checks would help prevent that unlikely scenario.

my Jeep dealer is very mod friendly but said that my axle warranty would be void if I regear. Even if they did it. The rest of the warranty would be fine. Same for lift.None of my suspension is under Mopar warranty. But the rest of my Jeep is ok. They said keep it under 4ā€ lift and 37ā€ tires or smaller. Iā€™ve known the service adviser 34 years. No reason for him to lie to me lol.
good point on legality of beadlocks for hwy use being a murky issue, not clearly legal / illegal.

Thatā€™s a good insight too - your experience at the dealer with regearing and warranty. I had understood that since Mopar parts catalogue sells gears and kit, your dealer can regear you and keep warranty intact (at least with your particular dealership.). Similar to, for example, having a dealership install the Mopar lift kit. Your experience at least is the opposite..

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
good point on legality of beadlocks for hwy use being a murky issue, not clearly legal / illegal.

Thatā€™s a good insight too - your experience at the dealer with regearing and warranty. I had understood that since Mopar parts catalogue sells gears and kit, your dealer can regear you and keep warranty intact (at least with your particular dealership.). Similar to, for example, having a dealership install the Mopar lift kit. Your experience at least is the opposite..
thatā€™s the gray area lol. The gears will have their warranty and the dealer is warranting their labor. The issue is if you have lockers. The dealer will either risk eating the cost or having to lie to Mopar. Especially dicey sinceno one can get just a locker or position sensor so Mopar has to replace the whole axle if there is an issue.

Sponsored

JPJr70

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys 2dr
Try givemethevin.com they offered me the most when I was looking out of curiosity a couple weeks ago. They will also work with dealers to let you use their offer as the trade allowance to help you with the sales tax and then they buy it from the dL dealer for that price so it helps you and the dealer.
Yeah, I just contacted them about mine.
They offered $81k to $83k
I was looking for $84k.
But the ink hasn't even dried on my title!

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was looking for $84k.
What was your MSRP?

JPJr70

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys 2dr

JPJr70

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys 2dr
Wasn't planning on flipping, but if I can make some good $$$, and order another one for less than I paid for this one, it's tempting.
But my next one might not be built in 5 weeks like this one was.
....and to the point of this thread:
I wouldn't get an XR.
Wife already hates that this one is higher than our previous Rubicon.
Don't need to make it any higher! ;)

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depends on what you paid really, sales tax adds quite a bit.. not sure how much u can make flipping.

Sponsored

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I was looking for $84k.
They offered me $53 for my JLU Rubi with the 2.0t. I said no and they asked what I wanted and for more details. I said Iā€™d take $57 and leave the Metalcloak lift on. They sent me an email the next day offering $56,700. I almost did it. I paid $49 in June. Lol. But Iā€™d only have ordered the same Jeep but with the premium soft top instead of the cheap plastic soft top. Maybe add the half doors lol.
I said screw it. Be happy with what I have and build it.

JPJr70

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys 2dr
They offered me $53 for my JLU Rubi with the 2.0t. I said no and they asked what I wanted and for more details. I said Iā€™d take $57 and leave the Metalcloak lift on. They sent me an email the next day offering $56,700. I almost did it. I paid $49 in June. Lol. But Iā€™d only have ordered the same Jeep but with the premium soft top instead of the cheap plastic soft top. Maybe add the half doors lol.
I said screw it. Be happy with what I have and build it.
The market is absolutely nuts right now!

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
I want one, the main reason is because the build quality of my current one is lacking, say, a lot.

Last edited:

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Wrangler392; ā€˜20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Nope I like my VIN and have no interest in crawling šŸ˜…

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
I saw a Gecko Rubicon XR today (non 392) and it looked good! I really liked the wheels, the height, and liked the color. I have a non-XR 392 as I ordered before the XR came out. I love it, but really wanted Punkā€™n or Hella Yella. I can see ordering a 392 XR in an exciting color if it sticks around another couple years. I would still swap to 37s but would like the better gears.
Sponsored