Sponsored

Anyone else considering 39" KO2's over KM3's?

mda0303

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392xr
I have KM3's on order but seems both sets are on nationwide backorder (my 392xr doesn't come until Dec/Jan so I have time to change). Has anyone made the switch from MT to AT in 39? I was thinking with the added power it might be better to have a more road worthy tire. I'm coming from STT Pro 37" on my old JL which I liked.

Has anyone gone through this switch?

BFG says they both measure out to around the same size?
Not sure how to interpret the KO2's being a D tire vs. the KM3's being a C tire

Anyone with pics that haven't posted on here yet?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mtenna99

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

Don’t have the experience you are looking for…but I switched from KO2 to 37 KM3 and I really like them. I would wait for what you want or you may spend more money in the long run. I found a discount tire in Texas that had them in stock a few months ago. Try calling around.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Does the KO2 even come in 39”? Thought it was only 37” max.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I have KM3's on order but seems both sets are on nationwide backorder (my 392xr doesn't come under Dec/Jan so I have time to change). Has anyone made the switch from MT to AT in 39? I was thinking with the added power it might be better to have a more road worthy tire. I'm coming from STT Pro 37" on my old JL which I liked.

Has anyone gone through this switch?

BFG says they both measure out to around the same size?

Anyone with pics that haven't posted on here yet?
Given where you live I'd personally choose a KO2 over a KM3 if it'll see light snow/rain. Unless you're wheeling in mud all the time.

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I think the KO2 looks really weird in bigger sizes. Looks too much like an oversized road tire for me, whereas the KM3 looks the part. MTs do fine in the snow/rain with a good driver behind the wheel.

OP
OP
mda0303

mda0303

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392xr
Tirerack and Discount Tire are all on nationwide backorder. Anyone have any intel on when they will become available again?

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Do the bigger KO2’s have better wet traction? My KM3’s don’t lose traction in the Seattle rain, but my stock KO2’s did quite often in the rain. RWD, manual transmission shifting to second was almost guaranteed to get squirrelly if there was uphill involved.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
They have the same load index, so the other items that identify load class is sidewall thickness and max load pressure.

I think the load pressure (45) for the KM3s may be what makes it a C, since the D requirement is 50PSI. It's 20 lbs heavier, so it could very well have the same sidewall thickness.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone else considering 39" KO2's over KM3's? 1636580526697

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
Tirerack and Discount Tire are all on nationwide backorder. Anyone have any intel on when they will become available again?
I don't have a 392, but have been waiting on 39" km3 for my JTR for over 2 mos now, and my dealer's supplier has not eta on having any.
I had my low mile 37" km3 sold for a good price upon arrival of the 39's, but that's not gonna happen now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mda0303

mda0303

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392xr
thanks for letting me know. Hopefully we get lucky on these soon

I don't have a 392, but have been waiting on 39" km3 for my JTR for over 2 mos now, and my dealer's supplier has not eta on having any.
I had my low mile 37" km3 sold for a good price upon arrival of the 39's, but that's not gonna happen now.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I wanted an MT in 37x12.5R17 for my build, but could not find anything in stock. So I settled for the KO2s due to lack fo choice.

Turns out that I like them a lot on road (incredibly quiet, balances well, great traction on rain/snow/dry). But off-road I really don't like them. They slide a lot or dirt (sideways, as in off camber), and don't seem to grab on rocks. They are substantially inferior to KM2s and Dick Cepecs I had immediately prior on my JK.

So I think you really can't have it both ways - you need to choose road manners or off-road performance. Ultimately, I'd rather pull winch cable on occasion off-road rather than live with a noisy M/T with poor winter performance on the road.

I may re-up KO2 or try the Goodyear Territory Bronco tires if they make them in the sizes I want next time.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Because it’s a 392 I wanted to enjoy the speed of the vehicle as much as possible. I’d say K02s.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Do you really need 39s? To me the 39” KO2s look like giant beach tires. Sure you get axle clearance but if you shop around you can find MTs or hybrid ATs in 37-38” all day long. Less trimming 👌 I’d rather have 38” Ridge Grapplers than 39” KO2s…

I prioritized off road traction with my build. I’ve got 37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers in the garage. Ordered them a few weeks ago. Paid a pretty penny for each one but I got exactly what I wanted.

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

Because it’s a 392 I wanted to enjoy the speed of the vehicle as much as possible. I’d say K02s.
This... it's always tempting to go with bigger tires. I even thought about swapping to the 37 K02s but for what I use my jeep for its simply not needed. I want to keep as much performance as it has. It's quite fun to rip off a 4 flat 0-60 getting on the highway lol

I even thought about eventually getting nicer lighter rims that stick out just a tad to improve looks and stance. I'd assume lighter better quality wheels with less rolling resistance would if anything actually improve the performance.
Sponsored