Sponsored

Anyone done the Buyback/lemon Law Program ?

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
What was initially wrong with your Jeep?
Had an error code that there is no known fix for and the fix was under development. In fact it is still under development. I came to agreeable terms with FCA and decided not to go through the buyback process. Being that mine is a diesel and getting it spec'd the way I want would take many months decided to work on a resolution (takes a long time, many hours on the phone) vs a buy back. I am not at liberty to discuss the specific details publicly but if you want to message me we can discuss on there.
Sponsored

Alonelymom

First Name
Katherine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep compass
Letting my 2020 be bought back after they could't fix it ... Anyone have any stories on this buyback program / lemon law program for you state with Chrysler ? Any pointers they are calling me next week for next steps after they took the report today.
So how did it go? FCA just emailed me that they are going to buy back my compass that is not compatible with any phone! I started lemon law with my state, but FCA emailed saying replacing the radio would solve all my problems. Um it has been replaced twice, reprogrammed 3 times and every since half the crap doesn't work. Anyways, I let a couple weeks go by and emailed the lady and said we can continue on with lemon law or solve this between us. Of course she said take it back to the dealer and she would get it fixed. I talked to my service advisor and he said "you can bring it in 500 more times, but until Chrysler updates it's not going to work and Chrysler knows it". So I emailed her back with my service advisor exact quote and said I won't take it back to keep appeasing Chrysler, and I bought a brand new car 9 months ago for peace of mind and this car has left me stranded more than my 15 yo Chrysler T&C ever did. She responded this morning that the would buy it back and someone else would be in contact. What am I in for??

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
i had no issues with the buy back after i had a attorney that specializes in lemon laws get involved.
it went smooth as can be and FCA paid all fees and refunded 100%. They handed me a check and i bought another Jeep that worked.
I used Krohn and Moss in Ohio and they are licensed in most states.

Alonelymom

First Name
Katherine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep compass
i had no issues with the buy back after i had a attorney that specializes in lemon laws get involved.
it went smooth as can be and FCA paid all fees and refunded 100%. They handed me a check and i bought another Jeep that worked.
I used Krohn and Moss in Ohio and they are licensed in most states.
I'm a pretty persuasive woman and they agreed to but it back with little fight. Now it's waiting to see the offer. I love my jeep but not its issues. Problem I'd, if they are not updating the 2020's then they sure aren't updating 2021's so it will be no different. Funny since it's the only manufacturer that seems to have connection/compatibility issues.
Thanks anyways

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Letting my 2020 be bought back after they could't fix it ... Anyone have any stories on this buyback program / lemon law program for you state with Chrysler ? Any pointers they are calling me next week for next steps after they took the report today.
I have had 2 JLURs bought back. both were pretty painless. While not ideal by any means, FCA has this process down pat and if you meet the criteria due to out of service days etc. they are pretty good about it. I can't emphasize enough about keeping track of downtime, visits, who you speak with etc. Pictures or video also helps if you get into a debate with a dealer on this. The Jeep Cares team was also very helpful to me personally. I have owned 3 JLURs, 2 were repurchased, and I sold my 3rd outright. I am now about to buy my 4th.

Sponsored

adriev

First Name
Adriana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I have had 2 JLURs bought back. both were pretty painless. While not ideal by any means, FCA has this process down pat and if you meet the criteria due to out of service days etc. they are pretty good about it. I can't emphasize enough about keeping track of downtime, visits, who you speak with etc. Pictures or video also helps if you get into a debate with a dealer on this. The Jeep Cares team was also very helpful to me personally. I have owned 3 JLURs, 2 were repurchased, and I sold my 3rd outright. I am now about to buy my 4th.
Can you elaborate on this? I am in the process of trying to get my Rubicon bought back and it's a daily cause of stress facing all of the pushback.

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Can you elaborate on this? I am in the process of trying to get my Rubicon bought back and it's a daily cause of stress facing all of the pushback.
Every state has different laws and standards to qualify for Lemon Law. We had to send a letter to an FCA address listed in the owners manual. Start with your State laws.

In my State Lemon Law only applies if the vehicle was bought in State. Meaning if I had tried to save money buying out of State no Lemon Law would apply.

Ozionjon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
This was a wealth of information.

FCA just submitted me over to the buyback department to figure out whether or not they will be buying back my 2018 JL.

I’ve had a mechanical failure 3 times on my driver side hub assembly.

Seems pretty cut and dry that this should be a buyback

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
You’re incredibly lucky if FCA is voluntarily buying yours back. I had to go through arbitration, which was very stressful and a lot of work to prepare.

I’m in California, so my experience would be different.

Good luck and I hope it goes well for you.
Old post but did fca approve a buy back and then you went through arbitration or was that before they agreed to buy back?

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I have a feeling this is going to be an evolving process going forward. most states have a clause related to reduced value due to defect that cant be repaired etc. with the HPFP recall a lot of us right now have Diesels that we cant trade in to a dealer until they are fixed. so if you have issues, you are stuck with the Jeep unless you sell to an individual. I have an oil leak since new in my 2021 diesel. dealer says they cant do anything unless it is an "active" leak that they can see dripping on floor. it is a pretty big seep, that forms drips pretty quick, but most burns off (making really bad smell). dealer agrees they see the oil seeping, but cant fix until it gets worse. So I have a vehicle that leaks oil and when slow driving (like offroad or traffic) it smells of burning oil really bad, but dealer refuses to fix. I tried to trade it in (to Jeep and non-Jeep dealers) and no one will take it as it has an open NHTSA safety recall. really stuck in a pickle.

Sponsored

Jeepznthingz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURXR Tuscadero, 2023 JLURXR Reign
I have a feeling this is going to be an evolving process going forward. most states have a clause related to reduced value due to defect that cant be repaired etc. with the HPFP recall a lot of us right now have Diesels that we cant trade in to a dealer until they are fixed. so if you have issues, you are stuck with the Jeep unless you sell to an individual. I have an oil leak since new in my 2021 diesel. dealer says they cant do anything unless it is an "active" leak that they can see dripping on floor. it is a pretty big seep, that forms drips pretty quick, but most burns off (making really bad smell). dealer agrees they see the oil seeping, but cant fix until it gets worse. So I have a vehicle that leaks oil and when slow driving (like offroad or traffic) it smells of burning oil really bad, but dealer refuses to fix. I tried to trade it in (to Jeep and non-Jeep dealers) and no one will take it as it has an open NHTSA safety recall. really stuck in a pickle.
That’s easy. If there’s an open recall, then they have to remedy it.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
That’s easy. If there’s an open recall, then they have to remedy it.
Yes, they will fix it once parts are available... sometime after mid-2023. so between now and that time I am not able to trade it in to a dealer.

my issue is that I have a well documented issue that cant be fixed until it is worse, and due to that issue driving it offroad or in stop and go traffic is less than idea due to burning oil smell in cab. however while it is leaking oil, its not bad enough to drip on the ground so dealer cant fix.

normally the solution is trade it in and buy a different vehicle, but due to the separate NHTSA safety recall that cant be fixed until mod 2023 I cant even trade it in.

I added a few photos. can see oil dripping on bottom of oil cooler, and block is damp with oil behind it. this entire area was cleaned off a week or so ago after picking it up from the dealer last time. (i have clean pictures from then as well to document how long before it was noticeable leaking).

A2C6F1DA-9C0E-4F6E-A254-AF8B2886D160.jpeg

BE0F119B-4FB1-40F5-B1FB-858B583371DA.jpeg

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Old post but did fca approve a buy back and then you went through arbitration or was that before they agreed to buy back?
FCA gave me hell in denying there was an issue with the steering and I had to take them to arbitration.

The dealer sent me home when I showed up for my fifth service appointment because they had no idea of what else to do. The regional FCA rep was in town but declined to take a look at my Jeep :swear:. That’s when I knew I had to try arbitration.

The arbitration hearing was at my local Jeep dealer with the FCA rep calling in. I presented my case and provided a large stack of evidence—emails, transcribed voice mails, service appointment notes, etc. I took the arbitrator for a drive and he saw what a hot mess it was.

I received a letter stating I won my case and that forced FCA to buy it back, which was another cluster involving another company.

I hope that helps. You can PM me if you have any questions.

rebby

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLURD, 98 TJ, 97 TJ
Looks like I might be next in this process. I have a 23 JLURD that has been pulling into the left since the day that I got it (Dec 27). It’s been back to the dealer 5 or 6 times now. They’ve tried a bunch of different things to fix it without any success. Yesterday they told me that they wouldn’t work on it any longer and that I should call FCA to initiate a “trade allowance”. I called them when I got home and they told me to bring it back to the dealer and call them “to reopen the case” when it’s there. I’ll be dropping it off first thing Monday morning.

As many here know, the diesels are essentially worthless on trade right now due to the fuel pump recall, Jeep dealers are even prohibited from selling inventory at the moment. This puts me between a rock and hard place. My JLURD is my commuter, a dually Cummins doesn’t exactly fit in parking ramps, and I don’t have another option. My dealer is no longer willing to give me a loaner either (I put on a lot of miles).

We’ll see how things progress on Monday. At this point, I’d prefer to swap it out for another Rubicon diesel and call it good. I simply don’t have time to deal with vehicle issues (family medical issue that requires attention). With the stop on these in place (and no fix in sight) that’s not an option. My dealer said they’d be more than happy to get me into a 4xe or v6 Rubicon since they have quite a few on the lot but to be honest, I have no desire for anything electric, not even an eTorque which is why I bought the FarOut diesel in the first place. Oh well, at least we got my son’s TJ back on the road today.

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Every State law has different Lemon Laws and what qualifies. We paid for mileage upto first repair. Received way more money back for Lemon vs normal trade in.
Sponsored