Sponsored

Anyone Cure Whistling From Hardtop By Windshield?

JLUR Farout

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Farout
Hello,

New JLUR last Friday. Owned a JKRR 6spd for 5 years that was traded in. Factory hardtop on it. The new JLUR has a noticeable whistle over 40 MPH, and is somewhat dependant on whind direction but is present 95% of the time. JLUR has factory painted hardtop. I did pull freedom panels and treated the weatherstripping with the Gummi bingo dobber from Germany and that did not help. I live alone, no friends, but sounds like it is far right upper corner, possibly the top of the door?

I know a dealer trip is pointless for this. I water tested it both me spraying and an auto car wash, zero leaks.

Thanks in advance!

20230318_140403.jpg
Sponsored

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Huh. Haven’t heard of that before. Obviously you pulled the freedom panels to treat the seals so it’s not like they weren’t seated correctly. Or perhaps they are because something is tweaked? Have you checked the various bolts on the panel latches? Can you take a head on photo of the labels from the roofline so we can see how they look?

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
There's a few threads from recent years with replacement foam for the a-pillars, but if you have a newer jeep then it should already have the newer inserts there.

I lowered my windshield and filled in (i.e. silicone gasket) any open seems between the metal sheets. This helped, but it won't solve any of the general wind noise.

I'd also check the weather stripping around your windshield. If the windshield has gaps, then it'll whistle. This happened to me when they replaced my windshield. It sounded like a banshee at anything abover 30mph, so I had them redo it with a better weather strip and it was all gone.

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 392
Occupation
IT
Hello,

New JLUR last Friday. Owned a JKRR 6spd for 5 years that was traded in. Factory hardtop on it. The new JLUR has a noticeable whistle over 40 MPH, and is somewhat dependant on whind direction but is present 95% of the time. JLUR has factory painted hardtop. I did pull freedom panels and treated the weatherstripping with the Gummi bingo dobber from Germany and that did not help. I live alone, no friends, but sounds like it is far right upper corner, possibly the top of the door?

I know a dealer trip is pointless for this. I water tested it both me spraying and an auto car wash, zero leaks.

Thanks in advance!

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Cure Whistling From Hardtop By Windshield? 20230318_140403
I just picked up a 23 392 and have a similar sound from the right side but can't tell exactly where. My previous JL didn't have the sound.

I also heard the little triangle pieces by the a-pillar can be a source of wind intrusion. I'm still dicking with it so if you find the cause please post up.

Sponsored

GMX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Sahara 2.0
Try using a smoke pencil and while moving, hold it up near the area where you think it is leaking.
You may need an assistant to help you.

Atom631

First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
oh man i had this issue. it drove me nuts. It wasnt typical jeep road noise, it was a full blown whistle between like 30-50mph. i tried tapping the windshield and that worked, but when i tried removing it in section, i couldnt pinpoint the exact location. it was bizzare.

i took it to the dealership and they acknowledged this is defintely not normal wind noise. the replaced all the seals around the windshield and it didnt do a damn thing. they actually called mopar engineering, had it over a week....and finally they figured it out.

it was some sort of airgap in the sideview mirror!!! they replaced some seal in the mirror and the noise went away and never came back. that was 18K miles ago.

FWIW - mine was the driver side, but it very well may be the same issue.

OP
OP

JLUR Farout

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Farout
Try using a smoke pencil and while moving, hold it up near the area where you think it is leaking.
You may need an assistant to help you.
Smoke pencil? I'll have to Google that one. Thanks.

andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Sponsored

OP
OP

JLUR Farout

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Farout
I can deal with the fact that the JLU is louder inside than my JK, the roof material seems thinner and the Mopar headliner (factory option dealer ordered...was on their lot) is not nearly as good feeling as the JK Mopar one. It is not diesel noise (my 5th diesel) and is not tire noise. It is wind and several of you kind folks replying have similar stuff. Good to know I am not two steps from the nursing home. This weekend I'll be bolting on a lot of stuff but I'll see about finding time to track it down. If I have a window cracked or turn the radio up past 14ish I cannot hear the whistling.

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
Recommend you check the four T25 screws along the top of the windshield. They seem to like to work themselves loose.

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I live alone, no friends,
Aha! That might be the issue. I do not live alone and I have a bunch of friends (some great some meh) and zero windshield whistling! You, good sir, need to expand your social horizon if you want the whistle to disappear.

No charge.

OP
OP

JLUR Farout

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Farout
Aha! That might be the issue. I do not live alone and have a bunch of friends (some great some meh) and zero windshield whistling! You, good sir, need to expand your social horizon if you want the whistle to disappear.

No charge.
Tinder, Hinge, FB dating, eharmony...no joy. Not a sports guy. New to WA, and work a lot. It is okay, my calendar is usually open for what I want to do! Maybe I'll get a selfi stick on Prime when I order the smoke pencil and test it that way. Good idea, thanks for that!
Sponsored