Sponsored

Anyone considering trading their JL for a JT Gladiator?

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
I would if they made a 2 door but they do not so I am not considering until they make a 2 door Gladiator
My feelings exactly. A 2 door short bed would be ordered immediately, Rubicon flavor. I won’t hold my breath.

Georgew48

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I thought about it but it’s the wife’s Jeep and she said no way. Might trade my Ram pickup for one though. Lol

Sponsored

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Nah the gladiators don't look that good unless lifted and have bigger tires. Seems like a lot of $

ASMSAS

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aviation
I just saw this at the local dealer and TBH next to a standard pick up it is tiny for a truck. A motorcycle will not fit in the bed without sitting on the open tailgate and I’m not sure it’s wide enough for an ATV. If you want a truck, buy a truck. For me the gladiator is a funny looking Wrangler.

.... maybe you could install some more seats in the bed and go to the beach....

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I was kinda interested in the promised Gladiator before I bought my JLU, coming from many years of 4wd pickups.
If they had been available, I may have bought one.
They weren’t though, and I was ready for a new ride, so I bought the JLU. So glad I did.
No interest in the Gladiator at all now.
This little rascal can do SO much more off-road than any pickup could, largely because of its short wheelbase. And it is SO MUCH FUN to drive!
I’m a one-vehicle man, and for many years that vehicle needed to be a pickup. No longer the case.
My JLU and a $600 utility trailer cover all my vehicular needs now.
It’s cool to enjoy driving again.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Even as a Jeep guy, I'm sorry, you can buy a bad ass Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road with all the bells and whistles for way less money than what they're asking for the Rubicon Gladiator which IMO, is nothing but a JLU with an exposed bed and the same ugly Jeep Wrangler 4 door setup, sorry :-(
True, and I was on the exact same bandwagon you're on. I kept thinking, why would I pay $46,000 for a midsize truck when I could pay $46,000 for a fullsize truck? But then I started actually looking at trucks and running numbers. And that's when I realized just how good of a value the Gladiator is. You pay $46,000 for it today but in 4 years it's still worth $35,000. Conversely, 4 years from now every fullsize truck on the market except the Raptor isn't going to be worth jack ****. The banks are figuring about 55% of value retained on a fullsize during the course of a short term lease. It's terrible.

So, up front the Gladiator pill is hard to swallow, but a few years down the road it becomes the wisest decision a guy could make.

Oh, and I'm sure you know this and you're just being sarcastic but a Gladiator is not a JLU with a bed slapped on it. The rear half is actually Ram 1500 suspension adapted to the wide-track Dana 44 Advantek axle with beefed up tubes and frame for a Class IV hitch which isn't even available for Wrangler. It's very much a different vehicle.

PadreFreddie

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Alfredo Marrero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door, 3.6 manual
Uglyator.jpg
Tacoma.jpg
View attachment 182674 View attachment 182674 View attachment 182673 View attachment 182674
True, and I was on the exact same bandwagon you're on. I kept thinking, why would I pay $46,000 for a midsize truck when I could pay $46,000 for a fullsize truck? But then I started actually looking at trucks and running numbers. And that's when I realized just how good of a value the Gladiator is. You pay $46,000 for it today but in 4 years it's still worth $35,000. Conversely, 4 years from now every fullsize truck on the market except the Raptor isn't going to be worth jack ****. The banks are figuring about 55% of value retained on a fullsize during the course of a short term lease. It's terrible.

So, up front the Gladiator pill is hard to swallow, but a few years down the road it becomes the wisest decision a guy could make.

Oh, and I'm sure you know this and you're just being sarcastic but a Gladiator is not a JLU with a bed slapped on it. The rear half is actually Ram 1500 suspension adapted to the wide-track Dana 44 Advantek axle with beefed up tubes and frame for a Class IV hitch which isn't even available for Wrangler. It's very much a different vehicle.
Sometimes a picture is worth a million bucks....here you go...Tacoma $35K, Gladiator 46K and climbing. Money talks and BS walks. Don't get me wrong, I am and will always be a 2 door Wrangler guy but the least that Jeep could have done was to make it better looking. IMO it should be called The Uglyator.... View attachment 182673 View attachment 182673

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Sponsored

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Uglyator.jpg
Tacoma.jpg
View attachment 182674 View attachment 182674 View attachment 182673 View attachment 182674

Sometimes a picture is worth a million bucks....here you go...Tacoma $35K, Gladiator 46K and climbing. Money talks and BS walks. Don't get me wrong, I am and will always be a 2 door Wrangler guy but the least that Jeep could have done was to make it better looking. IMO it should be called The Uglyator.... View attachment 182673 View attachment 182673
The Tacoma you posted has an msrp of close to $47.000. That's the very top of the line Pro model which looks much better than rest of Tacoma lineup.

PadreFreddie

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Alfredo Marrero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door, 3.6 manual
Roger that, actually, 45K OTD at Earl Stewart Toyota in FL. My point is that for that amount of money and even considering the re-sale value which Toyota doesn't do bad at all in that department either, I would much rather get the Toyota than the Gladiator. It just looks better. Matter of fact, even the "Brute" JK conversion looks better than the Gladiator. Just saying man, you cannot deny that the Gladiator is an ugly ass truck....

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
The Tacoma you posted has an msrp of close to $47.000. That's the very top of the line Pro model which looks much better than rest of Tacoma lineup.
Agreed, a Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 with a comparable MSRP to a base Sport Gladiator is not going to come close to the off-road capability.

-235924e-34145fc-aaa6e51-fc3f3f7-981d541-a6c841e-15870c5-1a45f20-980b4ad-da8cc16-ad8ff9f-0b8bd00.png

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
No.