Sponsored

Anyone considering trading their JL for a JT Gladiator?

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
we are seriously looking at these JTs when it comes out. Only thing I can think off as in price point and capability comparable is the Power Wagon, solid axles, lockers. I shouldn't second guess it but it would be the logical choice for me. Work truck first/slash camper/tow rig. its just something about the JT. Its a jeep and it has a bed, so it can be swapped out or topped off to anything. Simple as an ARE or Leer cap like I have on our dually, possibly aluminum tray beds, service style beds, etc. Aftermarket is probably drooling on what they can make money on when it comes to the bed.

c978e196e4941f9278274640597be901.jpg
Top one, looks ridiculous with that little ass bed

Bottom one is actually pretty freakin cool looking I'm feelin' it

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I'm GIVING THOUGHT to selling my JLR/RAM and getting the NEW GLADIATOR,, then I'll have the pickup and the jeep, in one vehicle !--

I know that I'll give up the MANUEVERING/CLEARANCE AND TURNING ability that I have now, but I.m getting tired of paying insurance for both NEW VEHICLES and I'm slowing down my off-road expeditions--

We'll see what kinda deal I can get on the GLADIATOR-

W.E.

JIMBO

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
My wife and I are definitely considering it. Anyone else in the same boat?
Went to the Denver Auto Show last week. Here is how my first time seeing the Gladiator in person went:
Me to wife: well, there it is, whatcha think?
Wife: that is your next vehicle, not what I think, what I know.
Short version: guess I am getting one. Will hold off till the colors I am interested in to come out though :)

Sponsored

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Went to the Denver Auto Show last week. Here is how my first time seeing the Gladiator in person went:
Me to wife: well, there it is, whatcha think?
Wife: that is your next vehicle, not what I think, what I know.
Short version: guess I am getting one. Will hold off till the colors I am interested in to come out though :)
What color you interested in? Just curious

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
What color you interested in? Just curious
Gobi was my first draw. But, had quicksand on my Taco and, well... you could never tell when it was filthy, when I wheeled it, it was hard to tell it was dirty lol! May still do that one though I really dig the tans.
Alternatives would be in no specific order: Gator, Stingrey (again), or white.

Jlmoe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Rubicon
No..

Would opt for an F150 if I wanted a bed and a heavy duty truck.

JT is too long for me to use as a "Jeep"

Still very cool though, just don't see myself in one

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I plan on trading in my 2019 Punk'n JLUR for a Gobe Gladiator.

Nothing new for me though. I tend to go through 1-2 jeeps a year. Last year I did 3 which is a record for me lol.
How are you doing financially taking a loss trading in vehicles like that? Are you literally rolling in cash and just looking for ways to throw money away? What is the point of trading in 3 Jeeps a year? What is the trick to not be financially broke with that sort of spendings. Seriously please enlighten me, because I want to do the same but the math won’t add up.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
MedicalCowboy

MedicalCowboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Occupation
Pipefitter
How are you doing financially taking a loss trading in vehicles like that? Are you literally rolling in cash and just looking for ways to throw money away? What is the point of trading in 3 Jeep a year? What is the trick to not be financially broke with that sort of spendings. Seriously please enlighten me, because I want to do the same but the math won’t add up.
Become a pipefitter. Boom money and panties just seem to fly at you.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
we are seriously looking at these JTs when it comes out. Only thing I can think off as in price point and capability comparable is the Power Wagon, solid axles, lockers. I shouldn't second guess it but it would be the logical choice for me. Work truck first/slash camper/tow rig. its just something about the JT. Its a jeep and it has a bed, so it can be swapped out or topped off to anything. Simple as an ARE or Leer cap like I have on our dually, possibly aluminum tray beds, service style beds, etc. Aftermarket is probably drooling on what they can make money on when it comes to the bed.

c978e196e4941f9278274640597be901.jpg
Exactly. You could put a topper on it and basically have an extended length JLU. Or a utility bed. Or leave it stock and have all that room for plywood, camping gear, ATVs, snowmobile, etc. Plus it has lockable underseat storage unlike JLU. It's a win win win. The only people who would benefit from JL are those who actually rock crawl and need the departure angle and breakover angle. But the truth is those folks are a tiny % of Jeep users relative to how many they sell. The Gladiator is going to be the superior Jeep.

Question is, will the Gladiator be shopped mostly by offroad vehicle enthusiasts or truck guys? If the market swings to truck guys, the Gladiator may not sell well due to it's price being higher than full size trucks. This is going to be an interesting model year coming up for 2020.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I will get the Gladiator Rubicon but I will keep my Rubicon JL.

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly. You could put a topper on it and basically have an extended length JLU. Or a utility bed. Or leave it stock and have all that room for plywood, camping gear, ATVs, snowmobile, etc. Plus it has lockable underseat storage unlike JLU. It's a win win win. The only people who would benefit from JL are those who actually rock crawl and need the departure angle and breakover angle. But the truth is those folks are a tiny % of Jeep users relative to how many they sell. The Gladiator is going to be the superior Jeep.

Question is, will the Gladiator be shopped mostly by offroad vehicle enthusiasts or truck guys? If the market swings to truck guys, the Gladiator may not sell well due to it's price being higher than full size trucks. This is going to be an interesting model year coming up for 2020.
Everybody has their own reasoning for wanting or not wanting a jeep with a bed. Someone who doesn't own a jeep and always wanted one this would be a nice option. Especially if they were looking into a midsize truck to do stuff around the house, tow their -5000lb trailers and boats. For someone looking into camping and towing an overland camper, this would be a nice compromise instead of dragging a trailer ...and on and on. Its not gonna be perfect for one thing, but it sure will be versatile. Id say its towing capacity over the other Wranglers will attract buyers the most. The offroad stuff you see online now with a stock Rubicon Gladiator, I would think a family could find a nice camping spot with a view doing less. Of course this is all personal opinion and you know what they say about those, and 100% speculation.
Sponsored