Sponsored

Anyone considering CAI or drop in air filter?

BCMgunner

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 on 37” KO2s
I’ve read many threads on both aftermarket filters/CAI on the JL threads and Charger/Challenger 392 threads.
The more scientific threads post 0.5-1.5% gains. Of note is the YouTube vid by Engineering Explained.

Jeep threads seam to be against them because of increased chances of getting dirt/oil in the engine and effect on engine longevity.

Ive put a K&N drop in filter in every one of my trucks/SUVs for over 20 years. I’ve never had any issues with upwards of 70k miles on an oiled filter without cleaning. The idea of 475HP 475ft/lb sounds so much better to me than 470/470.

Just wanted to opinion of some people on this thread specifically.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I don't think a true CAI does anything of value for a JL.

That being said, I do run an AFE Magnum Flow Pro Dry S filter. I run it mainly for the simplicity of being able to clean and re-use the filter. It doesn't require oil, so there's nothing to worry about with that. I ran one for 5 years on my JK too.

OP
OP
BCMgunner

BCMgunner

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 on 37” KO2s
I don't think a true CAI does anything of value for a JL.

That being said, I do run an AFE Magnum Flow Pro Dry S filter. I run it mainly for the simplicity of being able to clean and re-use the filter. It doesn't require oil, so there's nothing to worry about with that. I ran one for 5 years on my JK too.
Thanks for the reply, any noticeable difference in performance, sound, MPG?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Also run the afe dry filter in the jl. I agree that it’s easier to just clean periodically but I don’t expect any noticeable sound or power from it. You’re probably better off lightening the Jeep and adding stickers :like:

Sponsored

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
I have a cautionary tale of Cold Air Intakes and Jeeps...

When I was young[er] and dumb[er] I had a '97 TJ. I had put a K&N Cold Air Intake with a conical filter on it. While at an off road park over near Ocotillo Wells I decided to drive through a water pit that they had in the practice area. Didn't seem too deep.

Well, let me tell you! You know you F'ed up pretty quick when your Jeep starts to float and bob like a boat. Jeeps are really lousy boats BTW.

That K&N sucked water straight into my 4.0L.... stalled it out.

I got pulled out and didn't start it until I pulled the plugs and got all the water out. That engine was a tank... once all the water was out it started up and got me home. Sadly, the killing blow had already been dealt. About 250 miles later, in sight of the shop I was taking it to- it shot a rod clear through the side of that poor engine's block.

CAI on an off road vehicle? Never again for me. I'm more likely to add a snorkel! I have one on my truck.

EDIT: Worst part was; besides giving that intake sound that all the 16 year-olds love.... that K&N intake did nothing for performance.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
What JluDave said. I run the AFE dry also. 1 time purchase.

G.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
With the engine management systems, the air fuel ration is tightly controlled. The stock air filter likely is engineered to deliver over 100% of what the engine can use, the aftermarket filters really can't do anything except make you feel good and maybe be louder if you like that. Stick with stock, spend the money on something else. Perhaps angry birds grille? (kidding)

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
k&n filter is good for street use only. I used to had one on my jl, fine dust in the intake tube, throttle body..it can’t filter shit at all. in the trash can. OEM paper filter is the way to go.

StormTropper

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara High Altitude
I’ve read many threads on both aftermarket filters/CAI on the JL threads and Charger/Challenger 392 threads.
The more scientific threads post 0.5-1.5% gains. Of note is the YouTube vid by Engineering Explained.

Jeep threads seam to be against them because of increased chances of getting dirt/oil in the engine and effect on engine longevity.

Ive put a K&N drop in filter in every one of my trucks/SUVs for over 20 years. I’ve never had any issues with upwards of 70k miles on an oiled filter without cleaning. The idea of 475HP 475ft/lb sounds so much better to me than 470/470.

Ok so I can say that the best intake I've had is the Banks intake for the 3.6 JLs, in terms of power it's a slight increase and it gives a really nice roar from the engine, it looks cool and sounds cool if your looking for that then I recommend getting one lol but for real gains you gotta do more and tune it
Sponsored