Sponsored

Anyone consider the Gladiator before going with the JLU?

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I did have the option to buy either but I chose the jeep, for me I like the closed off back end or SUV feel of the wrangler. With that said I do like the Gladiator overland look so that to is a good option if you are on the fence.
Sponsored

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I went back and forth for 3 months. Test drove and really liked both. Ordered a Gladiator yesterday. Hope I can still be part of this forum!

SurfJeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Willys
+1 for finding the bed too small.

I went into the dealer expecting to buy a Gladiator. I was replacing a mid size truck (02 Dodge Dakota) and thought it would be a fitting replacement. The bed turned out to be less useful to me than the cargo area with the seats folded down.

I’m sure hauling surfboards is a fringe use case, but I’m fortunate enough to do it 5x a week or more, so it factored heavily into my decision.

Baddog2020

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Thought I wanted JT. Liked the Rubicon. Dealer was a bit of a jerk and everybody wanted way over invoice. Test drove Colorado, Tundra, Trail Boss and Rebel. Then drove JLU. Game over. Closing in on 30K and no regrets. Will see who updates what in about 7 or 8 years and check them out again. You never know!

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I (my wife and I) have both. A JLU Sport S, and a hard base JT Sport. I love both, but they are entirely different vehicles. The JT rides better, Sits higher, less axle hop, feels more solid, drives better on the highway, has better cargo and towing capacity.....but the turning radius sucks in the woods. Where a 3 point turn is needed in my JLU, a 5 point turn is needed in the JT. Much easier to high center than the JL too. But that’s the nature of having a long wheelbase. Having both, living in Michigan, and the desire to turn one into a trail toy, the JL is the one to get the parts cannon fired at it now that I just bought it out of its lease. If I were in the southwest where thick forests aren’t my playground, it would be the other way around. If I didn’t use either for off road use, I’d probably go for the JT.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone consider the Gladiator before going with the JLU? JzSEbkBl

Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I went back and forth for 3 months. Test drove and really liked both. Ordered a Gladiator yesterday. Hope I can still be part of this forum!
25b631e08d96b2d30d9c60dde400aaee.gif

Orangecrush9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys JLU
I was in this category last summer. Strongly considered a Mojave. Really liked the concept, but at the end of the day, for me, I didn't think I would use the truckbed enough to justify the purchase and something about taking the top off and still having the bed behind me seemed off. Went with a Willys JLU and don't regret the decision. My father-in-law got a Gladiator a month after me, and it suits him quite well. I feel a little better seeing both and realizing that he'll get specific utility out of his and I'll get what I need out of mine.

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
I did, most of our wheeling trips go for weeks in the Australian outback, decided I need a secure, dust free place for our gear and went with a JLUR instead. We also get 5200lb towing with the JLU so that was not an issue :)

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
If you want to tow and use that bed go for a JT. If you want more offroading or the sky one touch get a JLU.

For me I knew I'd rarely use the bed or tow. The one touch is a deal breaker for me. So damn convenient. But also I have storage in the back, I can get a trailer hitch basket or even a frame mounted system for up top like a ghobi or metalcloak. So storage isn't an issue for me with the JLU. Mostly just towing. Lastly the JT is just too long for my garage.
Sponsored