Anyone childfree?

1. Phredog

Phredog Member

First Name:
    Phred
    Vehicle(s):
    Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Liked:
    I lived in Asia for most of the last ten years. I just came back with my Asian wife. We are both 52, and have no children by plan. We traveled a lot. I have been to 26 countries. She has been to 14.

I drove Wranglers most of my life (not much room for a child, hahaha). Today I have a Grand Cherokee, and the back seat remains empty.

We are not "parent material", by far. My wife came from the, until recently, war torn country of Myanmar (Burma). Her first husband was killed in the military. We met in Singapore. I was there recovering from PTSD, and studying Buddhism, after my experience in the US military. I stayed almost ten years.

If I had a child I do not think his or her life would be all that great. Both of us have little patience for anything. A screaming baby would ruin our lives, thank you very much. We like living debt free, owning a condo (located in Yangoon, Myanmar) outright, and plenty of funds in our retirement. We will retire someplace in Asia.

We just came back to the USA in January. My wife followed, and is awaiting her green card. Things have not changed much here. I think we were off the plane 20 min when some immigration officer asked us if our children will be following. I was a bit confused. Was my identity stolen again? There is no mention of children in our profiles. The lady analogized. Strange huh?

I started my new job and I was asked about what daycare center we plan to use. I guess I do not look 52. Honestly, by USA standards, if I had children, would they not be fully grown by now.

Right now we live in a rented condo here in the USA. Almost nobody has children here. It is very peaceful.

Amway, we live pretty well off my middle class income. She does not work, or drive, yet. We live mostly "off the grid" (pay cash for everything).

2. Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    My wife and I chose not to have children as well. Many people find it quite strange. We don’t. Our lives are quite full and content. I have lots of nieces and nephews who are somewhat like children to us with the benefit of not being completely responsible for them in any way. They have still cost us a small fortune over the decades.

Rock on brother.

Waiting and TaiMc like this.
  3. Waiting

Waiting Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
    Liked:
    At 16 or so I knew I would not be having children or a wife. I never pretended otherwise when getting involved with women by saying wishy washy desperate language such as "I might want kids" or "I'm open to the possibility of marriage". At 42, I still feel the same way. My family finally came to peace with idea, but I get the feeling they still think weird. I can go on a very long argument why but, I mostly keep it to myself because it upsets many.

Bearded_Dragon, FrankieFJL and TaiMc like this.
  4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle(s):
    JLU Rubi
    Liked:
    Finding your own path to take in life is a beautiful thing. I love people that don’t succumb to outside pressures which will negatively affect their own idea of happiness. Enjoy it. That being said, I have two kids and find it to be extremely rewarding. I look back on my past and realize that I had a ton of fun, but at the same time I always saw children in my life. I enjoy my life and watch my childless friends enjoy theirs. We all get along great and have a mutual respect for how we spend our days.

5. TaiMc

TaiMc Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tai
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Wrangler Sport (Mojito!, 3-piece hardtop, automatic 3.6L, molded running boards); '18 Kawasaki Ninja 400 KRT
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Child-free here and don't plan to have any...and actually never wanted any. :)

However, I love kids and they seem to love me to pieces lol. But tbh I rather enjoy my own company. As a child I would play alone, be in my own little world and even as a baby, my parents would have to occasionally come check in on me as I was always quiet, playing with the toys or fabric, or whatever, in my crib. :cwl:

My sister on the other hand was the total opposite (she's married, has no kids by choice).

I'm not opposed to marriage, but tbh most people aren't "real" enough for me. They're too busy keeping up with social media or keeping up appearances, and have no clue what the meaning of "truth" is. So, I haven't found a man that would make me want to marry; and even if I did, I still wouldn't want kids.

And then on the flip side, I have trouble dealing men who will pose/act as if they are single when they are actually married (this is something they don't divulge until much later). And sadly I've encountered it a lot; even some of my female friends have as well. And that, I'm not gonna fool with.

So, yeah, this typically keeps me single and rather content I might add. I immerse myself with true friends and family and love doing things for them. I don't feel like I'm missing anything with regards to not having kids and never even saw the possibility of having them as I was growing up. I'm blessed to know that my parents are fine with my decision and have never pressured me to have children or to marry. The respect and love I have for my parents are almost unimaginable to most.

Covet, Jimac, Bearded_Dragon and 2 others like this.
  6. Sean L

Sean L Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Child"free" by reasons of infertility here. That doesn't stop the wife and I from treating our dog like he's a son though.

JeepU4IA, TaiMc and Rubiconnoisseur like this.
  7. Rubiconnoisseur

Rubiconnoisseur Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2009 JKU Sport, 2018 JlU Sport, 2018 JLU Rubicon
    Liked:
    I have 2 daughters and 2 dogs. Not sure whom is the most spoiled, but all have it far better than I ever did.......

Sean L and TaiMc like this.
  8. Sean L

Sean L Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Yes, my Charlie is the most spoiled dog in the city I bet lol.

TaiMc likes this.
  9. NavyVet1959

NavyVet1959 Banned

First Name:
    OldFart
    Vehicle(s):
    XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
    Liked:
    Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
    Garage Profiles:
    Some women might *say* that they don't want kids, but then that biological clock starts ticking and they get *vicious*...

If you still look young for your age, it's probably because you DON'T have kids -- they prematurely age you... :(

If you truly don't want kids, then get yourself "clipped" and don't tell your wife. When that biological clock starts ticking on her, you can happily "comply" and keep trying again and again... Once she gets her kid, you can say "goodbye" to a lot of that sort of stuff... :(

10. TaiMc

TaiMc Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tai
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Wrangler Sport (Mojito!, 3-piece hardtop, automatic 3.6L, molded running boards); '18 Kawasaki Ninja 400 KRT
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Idk bout some women, but I mean what I say; and I don't want kids. I don't need to have them and my life wouldn't be complete if I had them. Many women that I speak to feel like their lives aren't complete...that something is missing and children fulfill that for them. For me, it is not the case. I don't think I'm alone in this either...I just think that society expects people to have children, even when a lot of people would prefer not to. The pressure is real, just glad I wasn't pressured from my family.

Sean L likes this.
  11. NavyVet1959

NavyVet1959 Banned

First Name:
    OldFart
    Vehicle(s):
    XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Yeah, my wife said similar things before we married... And then that damn biological clock started kicking and it became, "well... I just want ONE..." I should have gotten clipped and not told her about it... I nearly did... I was debating either that of getting a divorce... But then she got vicious and threw me down on the bed and took advantage of me... Women are just so damn vicious when that biological clock starts ticking... And men think with the little head instead of the big head... And I'm definitely guilty of that... :(

shacdaddy likes this.
  12. shacdaddy

shacdaddy Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
    Liked:
    I was child-free for 38 years and 1 divorce and eventually didn't care. Got re-married last year and we're expecting our 1st kiddo in January.

I think I lived enough years kid-free with plenty of freedom to try the 2nd half of life with a kid. Should be fun! Kids or no kids, just enjoy the ride!

JeepU4IA, TaiMc and Sean L like this.
  13. Bearded_Dragon

Bearded_Dragon Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mojito! JL Rubicon
    Liked:
    I knew when I was a kid I never wanted children, only date women who never want kids, and had a vasectomy. Never getting married either, I've seen and known waayyyyy too many men drug through the mud/male-sacrificial-legal-system for that garbage.

Childfree is the way to be! :)

NavyVet1959 likes this.
  14. NavyVet1959

NavyVet1959 Banned

First Name:
    OldFart
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    One of the hidden secrets about getting clipped is being multi-orgasmic... Maybe not as much as women, but 5 minutes later, you're ready to go again... Ssshh... Don't tell anyone though... :)

15. Bearded_Dragon

Bearded_Dragon Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mojito! JL Rubicon
    Liked:
    I didn't notice a difference before or after, just figured I had a secret talent lol.