Sponsored

Anyone buying stock like crazy right now?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
So we all have apprehension about the stock market crashing right now, whether you’re an investor or not. Probably most (all?) of us remember when the housing bubble burst in 08 and how much money was lost. Well, personally I’m in a different place financially than I was then. So even though most of my investments are taking a beating (I haven’t looked at my 401K but my wife has) I have other money not tied to the markets that I can invest. When GM was about to go bankrupt in 2009 and was trading at .75, I knew in my heart the government wouldn’t ever let that happen. I told myself that I should scrape up every penny I could and buy a couple thousand shares. But in the end I didn’t. :headbang:

Well this time I’m listening to that voice. Time to buy and hold some things. I’m looking for dividend stocks or ETFs. Anyone else? Got suggestions for any?
Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Yep

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I think that we are headed for a recession. Might be short with a V bottom or might be long and be U shaped). No clue (although I would guess more of a V than a U).

I think that the market has a long way to fall yet since we are coming off very frothy highs to begin with. Even in “normal” times, good portions of this market are still kinda pricey.

that said, as a long term investor, there is going to be some good chances in the next month to dive into the travel sector at bargain prices..... I think.

oh, and I remember 2008 well. I waited and pounced on the banking sector........ JP Morgan and BOA. And also Home Depot. Still hold them. All good.

Sponsored

HackedJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm a daytrader so I've been taking advantage of this volatility. Currency is going wild too.

Most of my transactions are shorts right now, average hold time of 30 mins - 3 hours

I'm not a buy and hold guy so I can't give my 2c there, but wow what a time to be alive rn for an active trader

Tomorrow get ready for another massacre on stock market!

Short your airliners boys. Or get your Puts if your into options

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have been thinking about some airline stock and some Cruise stock.

I know that Boeing stock was at 400 six months ago and is trading at or about 165 the last time I looked. I think in the long haul Boeing is not going out of business.

Carnival Cruise stock was about 50 dollars six months ago and is at 17 dollars when I looked I think they will also come back. I think that Carnival will still go a little lower.

Also with Carnival, if you own a 100 shares or more, they will give you on ship credit during each cruise, and when we take a cruise, we typically go with Carnival. So it would be a win win for us.

Buckleup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Jl 2.0
Bought Apple, Modena and Ford real low. I will just hold on to them.....never bought stocks before. Robinhood makes it easy.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
So we all have apprehension about the stock market crashing right now, whether you’re an investor or not. Probably most (all?) of us remember when the housing bubble burst in 08 and how much money was lost. Well, personally I’m in a different place financially than I was then. So even though most of my investments are taking a beating (I haven’t looked at my 401K but my wife has) I have other money not tied to the markets that I can invest. When GM was about to go bankrupt in 2009 and was trading at .75, I knew in my heart the government wouldn’t ever let that happen. I told myself that I should scrape up every penny I could and buy a couple thousand shares. But in the end I didn’t. :headbang:

Well this time I’m listening to that voice. Time to buy and hold some things. I’m looking for dividend stocks or ETFs. Anyone else? Got suggestions for any?
We're going to see some more declines before we hit the bottom as too much panic and uncertainty still. You can see this as fed drops rates, stocks rally for a couple hours, then post new lows. I personally think we will see another 20 to 30% but could be pessimistic.

But yes, will start to buy when I feel we've hit close to the bottom. Sold a bunch just before the declines so have a warchest to buy back in with - before it gets spent on Jeep parts ;)

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
I don’t see a bottom yet, but I generally only play with large cap stocks that have a solid dividend. Not day trading like a bot at all.
Even after the 13% fall, I feel the stock prices are just being propped up. Stock prices exploded in the last 2-3 years and were headed for an eventual musical chair correction.

Sponsored

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
1) Hold cash
2) CCL, DAL, UAL, XOM/RDS/CVX
3) Go to the Winchester, have a pint, and wait for this to blow over - actually, don't do this one

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
I retired at age 51 in Dec 2009 and still living off of my portfolio on a reasonable if not frugal budget. I do hold 2 years living expense in cash so not too worried about this pandemic market tank. I get tempted to use some of that cash to buy what now looks like bargains but keep telling myself to stick to the diversified bucket strategy I've set up that's served me well. That said, if I was working and had steady income with extra money to invest during this pandemic shutdown I would be tempted to look at some discounted stocks/ETFs. The tricky thing is figuring out when the real bottom has been hit and how long before market/segment recovery. I've never been good at that. More stinkers than winners when I try to do it. Best to create a diversified long-term plan and stick to it through disciplined dollar-cost averaging. That's what freed me from the rat race while still young enough to enjoy it. My temptation buy- ETF "PBW" WilderHill Clean Energy. It killed it 2018-2019, will it rebound/repeat????

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The thing is, it doesn’t have to hit absolute rock bottom to still make a great profit. No one can accurately predict that. I bought a stock at around $14.50. It went down to $9.50. Sure I wish I’d bought it there. Heck, it could drop even more. But if it gets close to the $36 it was trading at before it’s a great win.

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

EDIT: down to $7.21 today. Darn I wish I’d been more patient. I thought there was no way this would go below $9. Shows what I know.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I bought more Apple. It dropped again another $20. Sucks but I am still in I feel at a great price and I hold long term anyways so why should a company like that not perform again. I also got some cruise line stocks, they also dropped more. IDK I have never been a great gambler. I still feel good that some extra cash went into the market on its down. I still think in a year or so we will all be chuckling a bit about this mess. If you plan to hold for a while why not get some now even if it goes down some more. As stated above, pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. I guess time will tell who really made the right choices. One thing I know in about 5 years there will be some folks retiring early and their reasoning will be they made their fortune in the 20 crash. If I had a lot of cash on the sidelines, which I don't, I would buy a shit ton in the market. It will return far better than any other investment in the next 5 years.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The thing is, it doesn’t have to hit absolute rock bottom to still make a great profit. No one can accurately predict that. I bought a stock at around $14.50. It went down to $9.50. Sure I wish I’d bought it there. Heck, it could drop even more. But if it gets close to the $36 it was trading at before it’s a great win.

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

EDIT: down to $7.21 today. Darn I wish I’d been more patient. I thought there was no way this would go below $9. Shows what I know.
Very good point, and a good reason to dollar cost average ;)
Sponsored