Sponsored

Anyone afraid of receiving a first year JL lemon?

Gavin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: Subaru Forester, Toyota Prado, soon JL Wrangler?
I bought one of the first production all new redesigned FJ Cruisers. I was very apprehensive to say the least as I use my vehicle for work and down time of a vehicle means loss of income. I bought an '07 FJ Cruiser in June of '06. Fast forward 11 years and 250k on the odometer I couldn't be more happy. I had one under warranty issue of a rear seal needing to be replaced. I have yet to have any repairs since then.

My main reason for buying the FJ over the Wrangler that I was also looking it was the new and cool factor. That being said Jeep (like Toyota) has a rich and very well tested brand. Eventhough the FJ was a completely new designed vehicle, I was confident enough in Toyota's reputation to get it right... which they did on my vehicle as I've been completely satisfied.

That being said I feel just as if not more comfortable with the Wrangler for all the same reasons as I've stated above and then some. So not really worried at all. Of course there will be small little fixes that they will figure out after the first year and upgrade on the 2yr productions, but is that worth sitting out another year??? For me the answer is no.
The FJ is a previous generation Prado, with a different body... So it isn't a new vehicle, really ...
Sponsored

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
No concerns. Had a 1997 TJ, no problems. Had a 2007 JK with a few minor issues that were handled quickly by the dealer which is what I am expecting with the JL.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Guys, 2012 wasn't a first year JK. All they did was drop in a new engine and auto trans, both of which had already seen production in other vehicles. The interior had already been upgraded in 2011, and the rest of the JK was unchanged.
I consider the 2012 JK a first year model based on the engine being newly introduced in the wrangler. The frame didn't change, but the powertrain did.
Regardless of how you slice it, it sure had "first year" model woes. The infamous cylinder head issue didn't do FCA any favors, not to mention the batch of faulty oil pressure sensor switches in the '13 and '14 Pentastars. So, looking back, it took around 7 years for Jeep to get the JK mostly trouble-free.

Should history repeat itself (as it tends to do with Chrysler in general), I seriously don't think the JL is going to be a solid, trouble-free, and generally reliable platform for at least a couple years.

Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Yes, as I never had much faith in anythijg mopar, versus GM, German cars, or Japanese cars.

DBA2GO

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Guys, 2012 wasn't a first year JK. All they did was drop in a new engine and auto trans, both of which had already seen production in other vehicles. The interior had already been upgraded in 2011, and the rest of the JK was unchanged.

The true first year JKs were trash. 2007 and even into 2008 had rings installed improperly on pistons causing excessive oil consumption, transmission issues, water leaks, paint coverage issues, smaller rear glass, weaker rear axles, etc. Most of these issues were resolved by 2010 with a new hard top design and other changes.

First year vehicles are always problematic. Some worse than others. I personally would strongly advise waiting until at least the second model year. If you can wait until the third, you're usually past all the major issues by then.
My 2008 highly modified JK has 122,000 miles on the stock engine. NO engine problems. The JL will have to be something special for me to sell my paid off Jeep and take on an automobile payment again.

Socceref

First Name
Ref
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara (loaded)
There are 600,000 pre-orders for the Tesla model 3. The first ever model 3. These folks are taking a risk. I see a JL as an evolved JK. The early photos and info leaks point to evolution.

The initial demand will be high. MSRP + $2,000? I am hoping to rent a JL for a week in addition to reading all the reviews. I want to be cooler than all of you first. :-P

Shumx2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Rebel
It's definitely more of an evolution but it does have new trans, engines and many other parts. I'm hopeful since much of it has already been applied and tested in some form on other FCA vehicles. Some of the 'unique' Wrangler issues such as roof leaks I am cautiously optimistic they have heard enough JK feedback to get it right on the JL.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I'm a member of tread lightly, their relationship with FCA gives me preferred pricing, which is 1% below factory invoice. I'm not worried about dealers trying to charge above MSRP. More so, I can get the same pricing from any dealer, so I use that to make them truly compete for my business.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. Not worried.

I've been told how bad everything was with the Early JK, but mine has been and continues to be great. After 9 years and 113k miles, with lots of bone jarring off roading, extreme dust, rain (open top)mud, and winter road salt, it still doesn't leak, everything works, and it has never left me stranded. It even still looks great, inside and out.

The JL will have the benefit of more modern design and testing, while not in any way pushing the design envelope, especially if choosing the proven 3.6 Pentastar or the auto transmission. I'm ordering the manual, but I'm confident it will be an improvement.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The initial demand will be high. MSRP + $2,000? I am hoping to rent a JL for a week in addition to reading all the reviews. I want to be cooler than all of you first. :-P
You won't be able to rent a JL until months after launch. Fleet vehicles will not get priority on a brand new vehicle, even during a regular MY they usually show up about 2 months after the first order bank orders are delivered.

I hope one will be available for rent during CES next year, but I doubt there will be in any of the fleets by then.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I'm a member of tread lightly, their relationship with FCA gives me preferred pricing, which is 1% below factory invoice. I'm not worried about dealers trying to charge above MSRP. More so, I can get the same pricing from any dealer, so I use that to make them truly compete for my business.
Most such programs are at the whim of the dealer to participate or not.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Nope, not worried.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
What's your thoughts on getting the first year JL? How smooth were things with y'all first year JKs? I know things may not be 100 percent smooth but I'm hoping it won't be anything bad that requires me to have to return the truck or be making any angry visits to the Jeep dealership. I guess we will all see though.
Not worried. If I get a lemon, I'll trade it in for another. I think these things will be just fine, right out of the gate. My old 08 JK has been wonderful for a decade and 117k miles, and still looks/runs like new. It is built like a tank. The JL should be even better. I am, however, going with the v6 and a manual, to keep things simple, reliable, and durable. I don't want to be stranded in the middle of BFE.
Sponsored