Anybody try gut buster lately?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
From the boh Facebook group, the consensus seems to be it is impassable. We will be at Stoney lonesome in a few days, and I'd really like to give it a shot (currently driving through Amarillo,TX). Is it a death wish? Can it be done without major damage? We have 20+ years of experience wheeling out west, Rubicon, Fordyce, Dusy-Ershim, Pritchett, cliffhanger, etc so the rock ledge at the top doesn't scare me, worst case I'll winch up it. 4.5" lift, 38's, 5.38's, skids, rock sliders, etc. Is it really that bad?
Sponsored

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
It doesn't look terrible. Not sure why the Jeep in this video can't get up it. I've never done it, personally.

OP
OP
Zandcwhite

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
We did all 3 badge trails today. 404 was easy even in the wet. Getting up to switch back was harder than the trail itself after 24 hours of rain and several downpours while we were in the park. The entire park was like a slip n slide and there was literally only 1 other person signed in for the day and he bailed when it started raining again. Several of the ledges going up gut buster took multiple attempts at multiple lines with both lockers on. The trails were so slick picking your line was impossible, the jeep would slide sideways several feet at a time whenever it felt like it. The ledge at the top would be a challenge in dry conditions. In the wet it was just plain dumb. 4th or 5th attempt almost got real expensive. Drivers rear slid into a hole that brought the passenger front about 6' into the air. At that point I threw in the towel and winched up. After all we were out there alone and we do have to drive this thing all the way back to CA. In the near flood conditions, I see why the park was completely empty. We made it through and we made it out with nothing broken so I'll claim success even if I was denied on more climbs today than I've been in the last 3 years combined in the JLUR.

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
We did all 3 badge trails today. 404 was easy even in the wet. Getting up to switch back was harder than the trail itself after 24 hours of rain and several downpours while we were in the park. The entire park was like a slip n slide and there was literally only 1 other person signed in for the day and he bailed when it started raining again. Several of the ledges going up gut buster took multiple attempts at multiple lines with both lockers on. The trails were so slick picking your line was impossible, the jeep would slide sideways several feet at a time whenever it felt like it. The ledge at the top would be a challenge in dry conditions. In the wet it was just plain dumb. 4th or 5th attempt almost got real expensive. Drivers rear slid into a hole that brought the passenger front about 6' into the air. At that point I threw in the towel and winched up. After all we were out there alone and we do have to drive this thing all the way back to CA. In the near flood conditions, I see why the park was completely empty. We made it through and we made it out with nothing broken so I'll claim success even if I was denied on more climbs today than I've been in the last 3 years combined in the JLUR.
Thanks for the update. Do you think Gut Buster would be possible on a dry, sunny day? Is it one that really needs more of a specialized, decked out, rock crawling Jeep? Did you guys get any pics?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zandcwhite

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Thanks for the update. Do you think Gut Buster would be possible on a dry, sunny day? Is it one that really needs more of a specialized, decked out, rock crawling Jeep? Did you guys get any pics?
Dry sunny day the ledge at the top would still be a problem. We rubbed the rock sliders several times on the way up with 4" of lift and 38's, so I'd say it would be a challenge even dry. Lockers, big MT tires, clearance, and the perfect line and you might be able to drive the whole thing. The wife got a couple pics at the bottom, I'll try to post them up later. Once we were in it, we were in it. We are terrible about documenting the tough obstacles, too busy in the moment.

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
What tires do you have, the stock BFG's?
:sun:

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I ran it back two years ago. It was wet. I was able to get to the ledge at the end. The only way up the ledge was by winching. It was a very high risk climb and there was water running down the trail. It is not a long trail. So it is not impossible, but it will require winching in most cases.

CNJLUR4xe

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xe
Finally made it out to Stoney Saturday (7/16/22) and completed 404 and switchback without any issue. We went to the top of Gut Buster just to look at it, and I wouldn't even attempt it.

Here's a pic from the wall at the top. every bit of 8' high, and almost straight up.

IMG_8464.jpg

OP
OP
Zandcwhite

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Finally made it out to Stoney Saturday (7/16/22) and completed 404 and switchback without any issue. We went to the top of Gut Buster just to look at it, and I wouldn't even attempt it.

Here's a pic from the wall at the top. every bit of 8' high, and almost straight up.

IMG_8464.jpg
If it was dry I think we could have climbed it. It was so wet and sloppy when we were there it just wasn't possible. Still tried it from a half dozen angles before I pulled cable.

CNJLUR4xe

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xe
If it was dry I think we could have climbed it. It was so wet and sloppy when we were there it just wasn't possible. Still tried it from a half dozen angles before I pulled cable.
It was dry when I was there Saturday, and i wouldnt even try it after seeing it. too much risk. Switchback was awesome though. Just technical enough to be fun, but still reasonable. Tons of other trails there that are about the same difficulty as switchback, so plenty of riding to enjoy.
Sponsored