Sponsored

Anybody tried the Apex Steering Boost Kit?

First Name
Apex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@apexdesignsusa I already have a steering cooler installed. Do you offer a kit without having to buy the cooler twice?
Sorry we missed thus, @c20040215 ! We can invoice you for the boost valve separately. Pls send an email to info[at]apexdesignsusa[dot]com with your cooler order number & we can get you taken care of.
Sponsored

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I will say my install start to finish was only about an hour and 45 minutes total. I have a factory bumper with a warn evo winch and winch plate. I did not remove the bumper or winch, I did not remove the steering pump. I removed fenderliners, grille and airbox assembly. The only issue I had was the hour afterward, bleeding and burping and refilling, was why it was harder to turn than before. When I seen on the floor the tiny little cylinder looking thingy that goes on the end of the cap and spring. 5 minutes later after disassembly and reassembly of pressure valve, things were back to normal. With that being said after adjusting I did expect a very easy steering, it didn't seem much better than normal steering. Maybe a slight bit better easiness, in my opinion not worth the money for what you get. Anyone need any tips on install let me know. I guess I should have test drove one prior to spending the money. One more thing I installed my gauge next to the airbox.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anybody tried the Apex Steering Boost Kit? 20210528_134216
Jeep Wrangler JL Anybody tried the Apex Steering Boost Kit? 20210528_134221
Jeep Wrangler JL Anybody tried the Apex Steering Boost Kit? 20210529_175408
Jeep Wrangler JL Anybody tried the Apex Steering Boost Kit? 20210529_175415

5280Sapper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Veteran
I will say my install start to finish was only about an hour and 45 minutes total. I have a factory bumper with a warn evo winch and winch plate. I did not remove the bumper or winch, I did not remove the steering pump. I removed fenderliners, grille and airbox assembly. The only issue I had was the hour afterward, bleeding and burping and refilling, was why it was harder to turn than before. When I seen on the floor the tiny little cylinder looking thingy that goes on the end of the cap and spring. 5 minutes later after disassembly and reassembly of pressure valve, things were back to normal. With that being said after adjusting I did expect a very easy steering, it didn't seem much better than normal steering. Maybe a slight bit better easiness, in my opinion not worth the money for what you get. Anyone need any tips on install let me know. I guess I should have test drove one prior to spending the money. One more thing I installed my gauge next to the airbox.
Well As you’ve read in the description of the product it’s helps... it’s not hydro assist. And by no means is it referred to as such. Next you just added a significant amount of fluid and a cooler to your power steering system. That’s a great thing. I bet your fluid was discolored, that’s a bad thing... electric power steering fluid is a very high quality and grade man made fluid. When it’s gets discolored it’s burnt and no longer working correctly. Every one I’ve installed for people they have been extremely happy with the feel of the steering compared to stock. They are mostly all on 40’s since it’s the new norm forJL/JT vehicles these days.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Well As you’ve read in the description of the product it’s helps... it’s not hydro assist. And by no means is it referred to as such. Next you just added a significant amount of fluid and a cooler to your power steering system. That’s a great thing. I bet your fluid was discolored, that’s a bad thing... electric power steering fluid is a very high quality and grade man made fluid. When it’s gets discolored it’s burnt and no longer working correctly. Every one I’ve installed for people they have been extremely happy with the feel of the steering compared to stock. They are mostly all on 40’s since it’s the new norm forJL/JT vehicles these days.
I knew it wasn't hydro assist and no my fluid wasn't discolored. I expected better than normal, a significant difference for the money spent. I also added an afe boost to my throttle body, also no difference there for the money that was spent. I know it's not a turbo I installed and no my throttle body wasn't discolored. I just expected more for the money that was spent.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I noticed more power to my ram.. I have a ported steering box and a psc ram and the apex boost and cooler. My buddy Adam “Sage8JL” on Instagram has the same build set up as me UD60’s Nitto TG 40’s but he has only the boost and cooler and no ram assist. And he noticed a much easier steering assist. And he still has the same set up.. mind you it’s not hydro assist and never will be but it works well on sticky red rocks that we wheel on regularly.
How much does something like that run? I have been thinking of doing the same, but my normal local shop passed on doing the Apex boost valve so I would have to take a drive to have it done (to probably either Twin Falls or the SLC area).

Sponsored

5280Sapper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Veteran
How much does something like that run? I have been thinking of doing the same, but my normal local shop passed on doing the Apex boost valve so I would have to take a drive to have it done (to probably either Twin Falls or the SLC area).
I’m in just a bit south of slc bring it to me and I’ll install it for you.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I’m in just a bit south of slc bring it to me and I’ll install it for you.
Hey thanks for the offer. Found a place local that is excited to give this a shot. Got it on order already & will have it installed in a few weeks.

First Name
Apex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@MichaelAnthony

Please follow the instructions. Trying to do it with the pump in the Jeep will cause issues. The spool valve and spring plunger can fall out as they did in this case. The spool valve has one way to go in and if it’s flipped, the pump will not operate correctly. Even a small amount dirt in the spool valve will jam it and cause issues.

This kit allows for the steering to have a higher a blowoff pressure so it will turn larger tires. It’s not our intent to make it have super light steering. The factory force is good for highway driving and good feedback. Basically the idea is to make 39” tires steer like 33” tires.

Having those parts fall out, we cannot be sure if they went in correctly.

Please follow instructions. We take time to create instructions to ensure the install goes correctly and without issues. There are no short cuts and not removing the pump will cause issues (we mentioned this in a prior post on this thread).

To anyone else installing this: Give us a call so we can help the install if needed. We know the correct assembly method if these parts do fall out in case instructions weren’t followed.

Hello everyone! Thank you for your interest in the Steering Boost Kit!

We would like to make 3 points:
1. The reason for pulling the power steering pump for installation is, if you pull the pressure set plug spring & plunger, there is a small spool valve that is not much larger than the lead in a pencil. There is an oil column above it. This oil pressure could cause the spool valve to fall out. If this is lost or damaged (which is likely), the pump is junk and you will need to buy a new one for $500. This is noted in the instructions and needs to be followed.
- The bracket above the pump has to be trimmed anyway, so there is no work saved by not removing the pump

2. This product is not intended to replace the use of a ram, which is used for extreme four-wheel-drive applications. The Boost Kit will improve the steering force applied on any application of tires. If stock is 0% and a ram is 100%, you can expect this to be around 70%.

3. As stated in the instructions, professional installation is recommended. If you don’t think you can work in a shop installing aftermarket components, please have a professional do it. The install takes about 4-5 hours total but that can vary depending on your aftermarket equipment. There is a huge array of aftermarket options/modifications available for people so we cannot guarantee that all things fit, though we do our best. We have not run into something yet where it does not fit. We have the same setup in our shop Jeep (JLUR) and it does fit as per the instructions. It is imperative that the instructions are followed. The only issues we have encountered to this date are when the directions are not followed. Do not take shortcuts.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@MichaelAnthony

Please follow the instructions. Trying to do it with the pump in the Jeep will cause issues. The spool valve and spring plunger can fall out as they did in this case. The spool valve has one way to go in and if it’s flipped, the pump will not operate correctly. Even a small amount dirt in the spool valve will jam it and cause issues.

This kit allows for the steering to have a higher a blowoff pressure so it will turn larger tires. It’s not our intent to make it have super light steering. The factory force is good for highway driving and good feedback. Basically the idea is to make 39” tires steer like 33” tires.

Having those parts fall out, we cannot be sure if they went in correctly.

Please follow instructions. We take time to create instructions to ensure the install goes correctly and without issues. There are no short cuts and not removing the pump will cause issues (we mentioned this in a prior post on this thread).

To anyone else installing this: Give us a call so we can help the install if needed. We know the correct assembly method if these parts do fall out in case instructions weren’t followed.
LoL I did, was just explaining the importance of that tiny little piece. The assembly is installed correctly, it just doesn't have that oh wow factor. Very simple installation only took me 1.5-1.75 hours to complete the install. Unsure why many have had issues installing this.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Will this work on Ecodiesel JLs? Got one inbound in a few weeks and am planning on running 39” KM3s. Don’t want to go hydro assist if I can run this kit...

Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Will this work on Ecodiesel JLs? Got one inbound in a few weeks and am planning on running 39” KM3s. Don’t want to go hydro assist if I can run this kit...
Im not Apex or a Pro, but I do remember seeing it mentioned on a youtube video someone was doing on a Diesel JL & they mentioned that they were using this kit.

Peterveiga

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 diesel rubicon JL
To revive an old thread, installing this now, slight variations with the diesel, but aside from the adjuster being a little more difficult to get to, it’s actually an easier install, no bracket cutting needed. I may post pictures once complete, plan to finish in the morning.

Chainringtattoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon ecodiesel
To revive an old thread, installing this now, slight variations with the diesel, but aside from the adjuster being a little more difficult to get to, it’s actually an easier install, no bracket cutting needed. I may post pictures once complete, plan to finish in the morning.
Perfect timing. I was searching for tips on installing this on a diesel. I've had this for a month or so now and still haven't installed it. I'm waiting on my Next Venture bumpers to be made so I can insure a proper fit. Any tips, or pics, you can offer will be greatly appreciated. I haven't even looked yet to see if the pump is still on the passenger side. I've found that a few other things are flipped around with the Diesel engine.
Sponsored