Sponsored

Anybody stuff a bigger battery in the factory location on a 3.0L yet?

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I think I'm going to do this. Been waiting for that dual kit to come out for too long. If these are setup like the other engines it sounds like you can just remove the Aux. battery altogether. Might as well, we utilize that smart/start/stop deal and the ESS hasn't been activated since we bought it. Looks like the battery part number crosses with the same battery that has been in these Jeeps for a while. Using my VIN I got part number (BBH6F001AA), should be a group 48.

Maybe I'll be able to massage the area some and shoehorn an Odyssey Extreme in there.
Sponsored

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
If you want max effort , the northstar NSBAGM31 will fit . 2150 ca ,1150 cca , 220 reserve . I just use the odyssey in the front and a 220ah lifepo4 in the back for long trips at Rubicon

E7BE7ED9-8D81-47C0-B549-407708B6C225.jpeg

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
I think I'm going to do this. Been waiting for that dual kit to come out for too long.
There's no aux battery in my 2021 3.6L. But the dual battery kit has been out for a while and I will be getting it soon.

Last edited:

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
There's no aux battery in my 2021 3.0L. But the dual battery kit has been out for a while and I will be getting it soon.
The aux battery in the 3.0 diesel is under the main battery. You have to pull the main battery out and then remove the access cover to get to it.

Sponsored

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
The aux battery in the 3.0 diesel is under the main battery. You have to pull the main battery out and then remove the access cover to get to it.
Oops, I mispoke. I failed to notice this was a 3.0 Dsl discussion. I have the 3.6L V6. I'll let myself out.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I haven't seen the aux battery. What needs to be done to eliminate it? and is there enough room there for an onboard compressor?

OP
OP
Compression-Ignition

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
If you want max effort , the northstar NSBAGM31 will fit . 2150 ca ,1150 cca , 220 reserve . I just use the odyssey in the front and a 220ah lifepo4 in the back for long trips at Rubicon

E7BE7ED9-8D81-47C0-B549-407708B6C225.jpeg
I need to pull the battery out and see for myself, but thanks for that reply and pic.

I haven't seen the aux battery. What needs to be done to eliminate it? and is there enough room there for an onboard compressor?
From my understanding on 2019 and up Wrangler's with ESS, technically you don't need to do anything but disconnect it. Probably better to have the ESS disabled as well so as to not run the main battery down during the ESS events. But do your own research on that. Bunch of threads to look at.

As to the compressor fitting where the smaller aux battery goes, I think not. However I have been contemplating going to 2 batteries in the rear and seeing if I can fit a compressor in place of the 2 factory batteries.

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
I need to pull the battery out and see for myself, but thanks for that reply and pic.

From my understanding on 2019 and up Wrangler's with ESS, technically you don't need to do anything but disconnect it. Probably better to have the ESS disabled as well so as to not run the main battery down during the ESS events. But do your own research on that. Bunch of threads to look at.

As to the compressor fitting where the smaller aux battery goes, I think not. However I have been contemplating going to 2 batteries in the rear and seeing if I can fit a compressor in place of the 2 factory batteries.
Passenger side is the turbo side, right? I don't think an air compressor would do well in the battery location. That's a bunch of heat soak to be exposing the compressor to, unless you could build a pretty tight and efficient heat shield for it. Even still, the underhood temps in general seem like they might be a bit excessive for the typical ARB/Viair vehicle-mounted compressors. I've no firsthand facts to support this though, just speculation on my part.

Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Passenger side is the turbo side, right? I don't think an air compressor would do well in the battery location. That's a bunch of heat soak to be exposing the compressor to, unless you could build a pretty tight and efficient heat shield for it. Even still, the underhood temps in general seem like they might be a bit excessive for the typical ARB/Viair vehicle-mounted compressors. I've no firsthand facts to support this though, just speculation on my part.
Turbo is mounted in the center rear of the diesel. The downpipe goes off to the passenger side, and the DPF is mounted as the exhaust makes the turn towards the rear. So, there’s gonna be more heat on that side, but due to downpipe and DPF.

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Turbo is mounted in the center rear of the diesel. The downpipe goes off to the passenger side, and the DPF is mounted as the exhaust makes the turn towards the rear. So, there’s gonna be more heat on that side, but due to downpipe and DPF.
Gotcha, thanks for that routing explanation. Sounds like a pretty tight fit. Look forward to seeing that with my own eyes once my ordered diesel JL shows up.

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Definitely will go to AGM when swapping, and duals. Is the only purpose of the Aux for the ESS? I'll disable that ASAP or never use it, I absolutely hate it in every vehicle I've ever seen it on. It's a safety hazard and causes so much delay on acceleration that I feel it could lead to you getting smashed more often than not. Hard pass.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
The ESS in my work vehicle (2020 ford explorer station wagon) works a little smoother than in the ecodiesel. Smaller engine, less cylinders, less compression make the ESS livable in the ford. I love to hear my JLURD purr when at a red light.