Sponsored

Anybody sound deaden the floor/wheelwell/doors and beef up weather stripping?

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I have the hotheads. Don't count on them to make your JL quiet. They wrk great for heat and cool, but the Jeep's still damn noisy above 50mph.
Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
as others have said. Theres not much you can do. The Vehicle is noisy because of the flat windshield and the Hard TOP. Adding all these seals, floor coatings etc will solve nothing. The Hard Top is just a thin piece of Fiberglass. The reason regular vehicle are quiet is because the headliner is padded and then covered in Cloth and their windshields are curved. You'd be better off just dynamiting the entire HARD TOP interior Like this guy did with his HORRIBLE music. I would just put it on MUTE while listening but you get the idea:

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S 4 Door
@stuckinohio, can you provide outside side-shots of the fronts of your panels once you've secured them using the method described?
Here you go @seguerski here are pics of the inside white post when not installed correctly and one when it is. They fit easier now after several times on and off. The difference was more drastic at first and the cause of a lot of noise. When it was new pretty much half the white post was exposed.

20180913_131224.jpg

20180913_131351.jpg

20180913_191519.jpg

20180913_191528.jpg

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Here you go @seguerski here are pics of the inside white post when not installed correctly and one when it is. They fit easier now after several times on and off. The difference was more drastic at first and the cause of a lot of noise. When it was new pretty much half the white post was exposed.

20180913_131224.jpg

20180913_131351.jpg

20180913_191519.jpg

20180913_191528.jpg
What am I looking at here? What did you do exactly?

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What am I looking at here? What did you do exactly?
Look at the amount of white post showing above the black ring and below the black ring.

You have to stand in a step stool or something to put you higher than the jeep. Then push down on the front of the freedom panel so the white post seats farther down than it was. Keep pressure on it while someone else closes the latch from the inside and twists all the levers into the latches position.

Notice in the first pic the white post isn't seated very deeply and there isn't much white post below the black ring. It needs to be buried deep so the panels seal properly

Sponsored

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's how deep the white post should be buried. This is how mine is now. When I put the panels on last time before the pic above I didn't have enough leverage because I had just lifted the jeep.

20181001_233011.jpg

Reactions: RSK

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
as others have said. Theres not much you can do. The Vehicle is noisy because of the flat windshield and the Hard TOP. Adding all these seals, floor coatings etc will solve nothing. The Hard Top is just a thin piece of Fiberglass. The reason regular vehicle are quiet is because the headliner is padded and then covered in Cloth and their windshields are curved. You'd be better off just dynamiting the entire HARD TOP interior Like this guy did with his HORRIBLE music. I would just put it on MUTE while listening but you get the idea:

MUTE can not be expressed enough for this video I did not heed the warning lol MUTE!! Or better off with humanity drive the Jeep off a cliff if listening to this "music" !!

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
MUTE can not be expressed enough for this video I did not heed the warning lol MUTE!! Or better off with humanity drive the Jeep off a cliff if listening to this "music" !!
What was with the dead girl laying next to the top? ROFL

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
902993F7-7F6F-4BF0-9A09-D07C0B74C569.jpeg

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
Theres a lot of different materials you could add to deaden the floor, roof, and panels. Dynamat, bedliner, jute, etc... There’s also foil backed materials you could add to the hard top panels to help with heat rejection. I’m not sure how much effect it would have in a soft top, but on a hard top it should help.
I was surprised how quiet my 2018 JKLU hard top was. I was expecting more noise, although I have noticed a wind leak by the winshield. In another post it was suggested to adjust the windshield hinge for a better seal.

Sponsored

htsai14752

First Name
HTSAI
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Does it not make that much sound on a soft top

nashsnazzy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
Found this thread while searching around on how to use Dynamat. I just wanted to say that I recently swapped my JLS for a JLR , both hardtops, and the Rubi is significantly quieter on the interstate. I did add the headliner pieces to the Rubi but it seems hard to believe this would account for the lack of noise on the road. In other words, you can improve the Jeep's sound levels with sound control products but I'm not sure how much would be required to make a significant difference.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I hear the JLUS doesnt have sound deadening added like the Sahara/Rubicon and the interior floor carpet just sits on metal. I have a hardtop and am upgrading the sound system and wondered if it would help to add below the carpet something like Noico butyl sound deadener + Noico liner to reduce noise?
Also, when I get above 50mph, hearing wind noise up front gets significant. Has anybody added additional weather stripping/seals to beef up the seal on windshield and where the freedom tops meet the roll bars? I get that it's a jeep and not a Lexus...I'm curious about the results as I'm considering this as a DIY project. Thanks!
It is bare (painted) metal under my carpets in my 2021 Rubicon as well. Is there something I don’t know?

Niche801

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKRU
Found this thread while searching around on how to use Dynamat. I just wanted to say that I recently swapped my JLS for a JLR , both hardtops, and the Rubi is significantly quieter on the interstate. I did add the headliner pieces to the Rubi but it seems hard to believe this would account for the lack of noise on the road. In other words, you can improve the Jeep's sound levels with sound control products but I'm not sure how much would be required to make a significant difference.
I agree that you can indeed improve the Jeep's sound levels with sound control products...I just completed installing Kilmat on the entire tub of my JKUR and it made a noticeable difference in highway road noise. I'm going to be doing the doors next, and will complete it all with a DYI headliner (potentially upholstered in this https://acousticalsolutions.com/product/crosspoint-sound-absorbing-fabrics/)

20210423_234108.jpg

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
I understand people want a quiet vehicle, but this is a wrangler. I have a soft top and it’s quiet, yes there is a little wind noise from the windshield but it is quiet. My buddy road in it the other week and commented to some other friends just how quiet it is. This is truly one of those Jeep things you must accept owning a wrangler.

Not being an ass but I do think there needs to be some degree of expectation management.
Sponsored